Why become a member? ×

Takamine tb10

AndyTravis

Anybody got one of these, or had much experience?

I love how they look, and in the last 18 months i've had a Double Bass smashed and an AEB nicked, this seems to cover both.

Love their acoustic guitars, just want to see whether people on here had much experience.

Played one years ago and can't remember much, I wasn't much of a player at the time....

Andy.
X

Was playing one at the London Bass Show on the Bass Gear Stand.

Quite few 'real' upright players tried it and liked it: it also has some cool electronics that enable you to add reverb and the like.

For me it was a little too small even with the spike fully out, there again I am 6'4"!

I think Phil still has it in stock, maybe look on his website: [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/takemine-b10-fretless-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...less-pre-owned/[/url]

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1198958' date='Apr 14 2011, 12:36 AM']Was playing one at the London Bass Show on the Bass Gear Stand.

Quite few 'real' upright players tried it and liked it: it also has some cool electronics that enable you to add reverb and the like.

For me it was a little too small even with the spike fully out, there again I am 6'4"!

I think Phil still has it in stock, maybe look on his website: [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/takemine-b10-fretless-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...less-pre-owned/[/url][/quote]
Unusually the one in the link is lined. I've only ever seen the unlined before. There's no lined option on the Takamine site.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1198968' date='Apr 14 2011, 01:14 AM']Unusually the one in the link is lined. I've only ever seen the unlined before. There's no lined option on the Takamine site.[/quote]

They're certainly a rare beast, and this one may be the only lined one in existence.
The previous owner had it lined by top luthier Chris Larkin.

I've just got back from a few days break, but this beauty is in our Harrogate showroom and ripe for plucking any time from tomorrow onwards!

Basschat discount available of course :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1201943' date='Apr 16 2011, 04:54 PM']They're certainly a rare beast, and this one may be the only lined one in existence.
The previous owner had it lined by top luthier Chris Larkin.

I've just got back from a few days break, but this beauty is in our Harrogate showroom and ripe for plucking any time from tomorrow onwards!

Basschat discount available of course :)[/quote]

I've been itching for one of these for a while.
I kept looking at this one and eventually contacted Phil to arrange a visit to his showroom.
Phil was happy to make an evening appointment which suited me best.

Well, I was knocked out by the variety of high end quality instruments on show plus some tasty amps & cabs.

After an hour or so of me plonking on the Takamine + other top quality basses I was starting to feel liked I'd overstayed my welcome, but unlike your usual music shop Phil was cool and suggested I took the bass home and spend a few days with it.
So we put it in the back of my car and went for a pint. (or two)

Mrs Bassman likes it :)

Do I like it enough?

Took it to a gig where I struggle with upright acoustic because of volume / feedback.
it sounded great!

I played the first set and most of the second upright, the last two numbers as bass guitar sat on a stool.

I found I was playing sharp 'cos of the shorter scale, but it was fun to play.

It's got black plastics strings on which are impossible to bow, might try some other flats.

Anyway, after having the bass for a couple of weeks I decided to go for it.

Phil is a great guy to deal with, and go for a pint (or two) with.

Check him out with confidence!

Edited by Mr Bassman

• 1 month later...

Just back from my first gig with the Takamine TB-10, at the Half Moon Putney.

The main thing is that it sounded brilliant DI into the house PA. The sound engineer loved it. I lost count of how many people came up after to talk about the double-bass like sound. Far closer to a double bass sound than any semi-acoustic fretless bass guitar that I have heard. Less good was the on-stage monitoring from my own MarkBass amp and 1x12 cab. I couldn't get it loud enough to hear properly over the drums without feedback. Even using my Fishman Plat-pro between the Takamine and the MarkBass it was a problem.

I think I'll need to fit a magnetic pickup for loud gigs, and have asked Aaron Armstrong what he can come up with. The onboard Takamine preamp has a spare high impedance input and a control to blend this with the piezo bridge.

The audience were also totally fascinated by the look of the thing. Again many people wanted to talk about it after the gig, one even asked if it was an antique period instrument! I've never had so much attention as a bass player.

I have tried playing it upright and horizontal for prolonged periods, and finally opted for fitting a strap button on the neck heel and standing with it on a strap. I like the mobility on stage, and can play much easier and faster in that position. I reckon an hour is about my limit like this though 'cos my back starts to ache. It is quite a heavy bass. If I was going to play upright, I'd prefer to use my double bass (apart from getting it in the car).

I am really pleased with this purchase and see it getting me work, as it sparks so much interest.

p.s. It comes with flat-wound steels, but I have just got a set of black plastic Rotosounds to try.

Edited by malcolm.mcintyre

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1310187' date='Jul 20 2011, 12:11 PM']p.s. It comes with flat-wound steels, but I have just got a set of black plastic Rotosounds to try.[/quote]

How do you like the Roto's?

Mine came with La Bella black plastic which sound a bit plastic when sliding between notes.

I've just popped some Thomastik flats on, I'll try them tomorrow when they've settled in.

Mine is the B10, a.f.a.i.k. the only difference is the pre-amp, yours has a tube?

Mine has a feedback cancelling button, not had to use it yet!

Edited by Mr Bassman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.
Nice to be here !

I just ordered my TB10 today, and been checking around for people's opinion on strings.
Anyone tried DB strings like the RotoSound RS4000 ?

Any other DB strings that might work with the TB10 ?

I read this : [quote]What kind of strings come on the TB10 Bass?
Takamine puts D'Addario XL Chrome Flat bass strings on the bass at the factory,
.050, .070, .085, .105, ...[/quote]

These seems quite ordinary, and they are probably quite fine,
but I also saw this today.
They seem interesting. Comments ?
[url="http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ns710.html"]http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ns710.html[/url]

Did anyone of you try this set ?

Appreciate any inputs here.
Still have to wait awhile for my TB10 to show up ...

Thanks, and talk later.

GeirMB

[quote name='bassace' post='1342748' date='Aug 17 2011, 09:23 AM']Photos, photos![/quote]

Here are some pics of my B10 curtesy of Phil at Bassgear.

[attachment=87318:Takemine...ad_small.jpg]
[attachment=87316:Takemine...ls_small.jpg]
[attachment=87319:Takemine...se_small.jpg]
[attachment=87314:Takemine...nt_small.jpg]
[attachment=87315:Takemine...ar_small.jpg]
[attachment=87317:Takemine..._small_2.jpg]

[quote name='GeirMB' post='1343900' date='Aug 18 2011, 01:12 AM']A beauty !

Cant wait till mine shows up.

So Mr Bassman, what about strings ?

G[/quote]

It came to me with La Bella black flats, I've put some TI flats on which I prefer but I've not gigged it with these yet.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1344067' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:40 AM']... I've put some TI flats on which I prefer but I've not gigged it with these yet.[/quote]
Are you referring to these : [url="http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf344.html#tab=kwmProductDescription"]http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf344.html#...ductDescription[/url]

They seem a bit light to me, but I might check them out.

I guess I will have to use some time to find what I like.

Btw, did you ever use a bow with your B10 ?

Thanks
G

• 3 months later...

[quote name='GeirMB' timestamp='1313684583' post='1344620']
I guess I will have to use some time to find what I like.

Btw, did you ever use a bow with your B10 ?

Thanks
G
[/quote]
It doesn't really work with a bow due to the waist of the body not being cut away enough to play E or G strings without catching A or D string respectively.