Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000

Thunderpaws

Hello,

Well, after the eBay fiasco and a slight moment of GAS towards a Shuker Satinline, I went to Guitar Guitar today and bought this:

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09090913215538"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=09090913215538[/url]

Can't wait til the weekend.

I was really looking for the Custom with the carved body but I didn't get on with the gloss neck. The satin one on the one I've chosen was much much nicer for me to play. The fingerboard is maple and appears to be slightly birdseye. I'll post some photo's after the weekend.

Also tried a blueburst with rosewood fingerboard. The woodgrain didn't show through as much and more importantly it weight three and a half tonnes more!

Also played another Lakland 44-01 but compared to the G&L the neck was much thinner (depth) and narrower (width at nut). with my big hands the G&L just suited me better.

Anyone got a machine that can take me to the weekend?

g

Enjoy!

I haven't used anything else now for over a decade, except yours has two cutaways and mine has one. They are cracking instruments and I hope yours performs as excellently for you as mine does. Sorry I can't fast forward to the weekend for you.

That's the strange thing about the L2000. I think they have a very wide neck at 44.5mm but they never feel wide. I can play mine equally as easily as a jazz neck.

And the sounds are very satisfying to my ears anyway.

I think you'll love it.

Frank.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1189446' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:35 PM']I was really looking for the Custom with the carved body but I didn't get on with the gloss neck. The satin one on the one I've chosen was much much nicer for me to play.[/quote]

Is it just me or do others find that the satin finish becomes a gloss one after a couple of months?
I've had two satin finish necks and they both look like they're gloss laquered with the exception of the back of the headstock.

Edited by icastle

Got her home today after waiting years for funds to become available. She plays like a dream. The guys at Guitar Guitar did a fine job, adjusting the action til I was happy enough to take her home.

Sounds amazing though my Ampeg BA115, though not as amazing as through the Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine in the booth in the shop.

[attachment=77289:G_L_1.jpg]
[attachment=77290:G_L_2.jpg]
[attachment=77291:G_L_3.jpg]

anyone fancy a jam?!

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1196813' date='Apr 12 2011, 02:02 PM']Got her home today after waiting years for funds to become available. She plays like a dream. The guys at Guitar Guitar did a fine job, adjusting the action til I was happy enough to take her home.

Sounds amazing though my Ampeg BA115, though not as amazing as through the Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine in the booth in the shop.

[attachment=77289:G_L_1.jpg]
[attachment=77290:G_L_2.jpg]
[attachment=77291:G_L_3.jpg]

anyone fancy a jam?![/quote]
Very nice. I used to have the five-string version about which I liked everything except the fifth string.

[quote name='iconic' post='1196908' date='Apr 12 2011, 03:04 PM']what ebay fiasco?...you can't leave it at that :) we love fleabay stories![/quote]

Thought I bought a Lakland Skyline Decade from a seller but he never sent it and asked me to do allsorts with money to get it to his account. I used Paypal so was saved by them. The sellers name was AnthonyJamesMurray or AnthonyMurray, keep an eye out. eBay told me they dealt with him but wouldn't tell me what they meant by dealt with.

Anyway, I am more than happy with my G&L, it looks good and plays good too.

g

AAAAARHHHGGGGGHHHHH!

I get my new bass, I plug it in and play.....my amp breaks down! things aren't going smoothly.

The amp in question, an Ampeg BA115. Started off with hiss from the tweeter, progressed into crackling and now the volume is dropping off intermittently for a few seconds at a time, with popping going on to back that up. So, I'm hopeful it will get fixed by the shop or by Ampeg.

I love my new bass though.

g

[quote name='icastle' post='1189985' date='Apr 6 2011, 01:28 AM']Is it just me or do others find that the satin finish becomes a gloss one after a couple of months?
I've had two satin finish necks and they both look like they're gloss laquered with the exception of the back of the headstock.[/quote]

This can happen... effectively you're polishing the paint with your hands and it'll revert to type (ie gloss). In the past, I've sanded mine lightly with a P3000 paper to bring the matte back a little.

[quote name='Jondeeman' post='1200569' date='Apr 15 2011, 12:36 PM']This can happen... effectively you're polishing the paint with your hands and it'll revert to type (ie gloss). In the past, I've sanded mine lightly with a P3000 paper to bring the matte back a little.[/quote]

Yeh, it'll smooth, rather than go glossy. the gloss finish that put me off was proper "GLOSS" lacquer and my hands stuck when I tried to play. anyhow, I am super happy with my bass. I'll write a review once I have an amp that works and have a proper jam.

g