Why become a member? ×

How much is my Gibbo Artist RD worth

jamiesonk666

£5.

Give me your account details, I'll send it now.

:)

I would think it would be worth quite a bit. Examples in great condition have gone for £1500+ on Ebay - but, that's great condition or flawless.

Ultimately, it's worth what someone will pay - which should be the standard answer whenever these things come up. The market is pretty flat at the moment.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1181927' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:21 AM']I personally think £1500 is a bit high, especially given the condition. Having said that - if you put it on ebay and 2 people want it, then it could sail past that. OTOH, you might only reach £800ish.[/quote]
I'm no Gibby expert but this is what I felt too.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1181927' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:21 AM']I personally think £1500 is a bit high, especially given the condition. Having said that - if you put it on ebay and 2 people want it, then it could sail past that. OTOH, you might only reach £800ish.[/quote]

This is more accurate, although the sunburst is more desirable than the natural one.

When i sold mine (natural Artist '77) it had a slightly bent tuner and was heavily marked around the fingerboard and edges (relic'd!). All the electrics were fine as was the neck.
Stuck it on eBay with a start bid of £600 and didn't get a single bid. Sold it later for about £500.

However i've seen them get well over £1500, just depends on who's after one at that time really. I think i could have got a few hundred more for mine in different circumstances.

Amen to the above. I added the caveat of "great condition" to my comment - as we've seen a couple of spotless examples hit that. Totally depends on who has the cash at the time.

I'm still waiting for the account details so I can send the fiver. Assume includes delivery and case? :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1181962' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:49 AM']This is more accurate, although the sunburst is more desirable than the natural one.

Stuck it on eBay with a start bid of £600 and didn't get a single bid. Sold it later for about £500.[/quote]

Starting bids at that level don't often sell. Putting it in at £9.99 no reserve takes nerve, but something like an RD should make £800 unless it's shot to bits. The other auction killer is UK only shipping, and worse, pickup only.

RD Artists are probably the most desirable Gibson bass at the moment - excluding the rarer collectable stuff that you don't play out, and prices have gone up more for this model than any other in recent years. The fact is, they are great players and people like them. Because of the moog electronics, it will never be practical to do a reissue or copy, so there are not going to be any more. If you don't need to sell, this is one bass worth keeping as an investment (IMHO).

If you are to sell, I would try and get at least £1000. It could go higher, but even without the flaws you mentioned £1500 is a bit more than usual. Fine for a shop, but too high for ebay or a private sale.

I certainly wouldn't take less than a grand though, but you may have to wait a few weeks to find a buyer at that price.