Why become a member? ×

Headline!

krispn

[quote name='krispn' post='1180348' date='Mar 29 2011, 01:38 AM']Looks like Im picking this up in a trade for a bunch of other gear thats not getting used.

OK so it a Leo Fender G&L SB-1 in natural white which has aged beautifully and relic'd from years of playing. The white ( I may have to stand corrected on the 'actual' finish) has that aged yellow hue and on areas where it has worn through its back to a white (possibly an undercoat) and them down to the bare wood underneath. Its the sort of relic job that would cost £££'s to get done professionally but so hard to get just right.

The serial no., headstock style and pick up dates the bass to be from 1983/4 (B011___) and the digits form part of my birthday which is neat! This bass sports the MFD single coil (not split) pick up - similar in style to a Jazz p/u but with the individual, adjustable pole pieces.

I know the rules - no pictures= doesn't exist but I should have them up later today/tomorrow.

In summary you're looking at a hand built Leo Fender bass from the ORIGINAL Fender factory in Fullerton California, the home of all those great pre-CBS Fenders and the early Music man Stingrays. This is the design, both asthetically and in the electronic's, Leo thought would surpass his earlier designs. It's essentially Leo Fender's rethink on his classic '51 P bass.

It's been suggested I ask for offers around the £650 mark and feel free to PM for more info - hope to get pic's of the neck pocket and neck stamps etc

Cheers for reading![/quote]
It's not this "naturally relic'd" one is it? :)
*pic removed*

If not, I'll remove the pic and not sully your thread any further. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='krispn' post='1180398' date='Mar 29 2011, 07:36 AM']Nope cheers

:)[/quote]
Thank god for that. :)
That fake-up was on the bay the other day (failed to sell for ~300) and coincidentally has the same serial number you mentioned (well the bit you gave out at least) and I thought I give you a headsup before you took receipt of it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours now.

Darnmanit!

It was that bloody bass - dude got in touch via gumtree offering a trade and just sent the pic's through! I feel rather pink faced about the whole thing now (blush)

Cheers for the heads up guys. Looks like next time I'll not be so keen to move my excess gear.

Disaster officially averted!

Ou7shined I owe you a pint!

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' post='1180518' date='Mar 29 2011, 10:29 AM']Darnmanit!

It was that bloody bass - dude got in touch via gumtree offering a trade and just sent the pic's through! I feel rather pink faced about the whole thing now (blush)

Cheers for the heads up guys. Looks like next time I'll not be so keen to move my excess gear.

Disaster officially averted!

Ou7shined I owe you a pint![/quote]
Aw man. This is one instance that I wished I was wrong. Was so looking forward to seeing "your" one. :)

That guy needs a right kicking. He a pro/semi pro bassist and has been on the go since forever, so he should know better. He keeps bumping on about it's all original condition. It's obviously had a coat of Dulux over the original finish which has been sanded off to look roadworn. The thing is, these old G&Ls don't even wear away like that - the finish is so thick on them that it crazes then chips off in scaly sections.
Sadly who ever relic'd it went through the original finish (which you can see) to the wood therefore devaluing it a fair old bit.

If he sold it with an honest description I might be tempted to part with up to about £300 for it... of course you've then got to factor in almost the same again for the re-spray to bring it back up to spec (if that's all that's wrong with it) and at the end of the day it'll still never be worth what an original is. Shame because it has the potential to be a good bass.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1180560' date='Mar 29 2011, 10:58 AM']That guy needs a right kicking. He a pro/semi pro bassist and has been on the go since forever, so he should know better.[/quote]

The new listing says you can try before you buy. Someone should get his address and then we can all congregate at his house, like a last-minute 'bass bash' in his front room, and judge him/his bass!

[quote name='skej21' post='1185582' date='Apr 2 2011, 09:37 AM']The new listing says you can try before you buy. Someone should get his address and then we can all congregate at his house, like a last-minute 'bass bash' in his front room, and judge him/his bass![/quote]
Haha for a moment I thought you were going to suggest that we turn up and actually give him a kicking. :) I like where you went with your idea in the end though.

Should I ebay message him and ask about the finish? I presume he has been told a few times now that its a bullshit job? I did the same with a motorbike for a mate it was all genuine then when we checked it out it was a cat D (I spotted loads of stuff which got the alarm bells ringing) he was gutted etc etc. I messaged him from my account a few days so he didnt know there was a connection and asked him if it was all clear on the HPI checks as I only wanted a perfect bike even if I had to pay more, He came back yeah its sound all clear bought it off a mate who had it from new etc etc, Busted!

Looks a nice bass if it wasnt such a crap refin/relic especially for £300.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1186825' date='Apr 3 2011, 04:48 PM']Should I ebay message him and ask about the finish?...[/quote]
Could be worth a laff - although I suspect he'll stand by his craftily worded description.
There's more on it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127853"]here[/url].

Oh no I have had a read of it and I bet our guitarist knows him as he does a few bits here and there with the Trevor Burton Band, Does everyone on here mix with these [i]rock stars [/i]of the past or is it just me? Anyway I will send him a message on eBay, I wonder if he is a BC member :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Just sent him this,

"Hi that looks a nice bass, Has the body shape on the edges been removed much when the relic'ing was done? Im thinking if it were to be refinished again would the roundness of the edges alter or stay consistent all the way around? Oh and are there any date stamps,Thanks."

Lets see what I get back.......

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1186957' date='Apr 3 2011, 06:54 PM']Just got this back,

"To my knŵledge it has not been reliced the body has not been rounded and it is one of the first ones made"

What do we think?[/quote]

He's clearly talking rubbish. "To my knowledge" is the most obvious way of knowing your talking crap but covering your own backside.

If he wasn't talking rubbish, he'd be expressing some concern that you would question it's authenticity and attempt to prove it was authentic in order to get the sale.