Why become a member? ×

Fragile Yes tribute band.

gelfin

Went to see Fragile, a Yes tribute band last night at the Globe in Cardiff.

Saw them a few years ago at the Point with Steve Howe. I thought they were good then but last night they simply blew me away.
They had a new bass player last night who was just amazing, Chris Hook. He nailed the Squire sound with a Ric 4001.
A 3 hour set for £12 has get to be great value. All the Yes classics and some great segues from old to newer tracks.

I know that Yes aren't everyone's taste but Fragile are really are worth checking out. Even if just for Chris Hooks bass playing. Currently they have dates all over the UK.

Check their site for details. [url="http://www.yestribute.com/"]http://www.yestribute.com/[/url]

They even came out for a beer after the gig and were quite happy chatting away to anyone in the audience. Quite refreshing I think.

This is what Steve Howe thinks of them.

"Playing with you guys reminds me of an early, earthy, more British Yes" - STEVE HOWE

".....Fragile, I must say, pretty much knocked my socks off.....they had it down. The guys were great,
Steve and all the lads were really good" - STEVE HOWE on Planet Rock Radio

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1177751' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:03 PM']If I had a Yes tribute band I'd call it one of the following names:

Yeah
Why Not?
Maybe
NO!!!!
HMMM OK
Affirmative
Sure
Yep
Ah Ha (you might have problems with this one)
Could do
Alright
Indeed[/quote]

Can't tell if you're taking the p!ss or not but I just put it up for those that would be interested. Can't see the point in your reply!

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='gelfin' post='1177756' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:07 PM']Can't tell if you're taking the p!ss or not but I just put it up for those that would be interested. Can't see the point in your reply![/quote]

It's Saturday night, I'm bored and saw this thread then I realised how many names you could have for a Yes cover band, not taking the p*ss but yeah, probably a pointless post, my apology's.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1177751' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:03 AM']If I had a Yes tribute band I'd call it one of the following names:

Yeah
Why Not?
Maybe
NO!!!!
HMMM OK
Affirmative
Sure
Yep
Ah Ha (you might have problems with this one)
Could do
Alright
Indeed[/quote]

I'd call it 'Ydw' and sing all the songs in Welsh!

Guess the song!

[b]Yn ac o amgylch y llyn,
mynyddoedd yn dod allan o'r awyr,
ac maent yn sefyll yno.
Un filltir dros ac mi fyddwn ni yno ac fe wnawn ni eich gweld.
Deg hafau a byddwn yn dychwelyd ac yn chwerthin hefyd.
ar dau deg pedwar cyn fy nghariad i Mi fyddai yno i chi![/b]

[quote name='chaypup' post='1177940' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:04 AM']I'd call it 'Ydw' and sing all the songs in Welsh!

Guess the song!

ac maent yn sefyll yno.
ar dau deg pedwar cyn fy nghariad i Mi fyddai yno i chi![/b][/quote]

That'll be Cylchfan, won't it! :) I couldn't understand anything of the first few lines and only got it when I spotted "deg" and "hafau" and then "dau deg pedwar". My Welsh doesn't really go beyond numbers and seasons! (So I had to get some help to write the title in Welsh.

Btw, I thought the thread was about a Yes tribute band that kept splitting up.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1177761' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:11 AM']It's Saturday night, I'm bored and saw this thread then I realised how many names you could have for a Yes cover band, not taking the p*ss but yeah, probably a pointless post, my apology's.[/quote]

Cheers Wayne

I went to see a tribute band last night (not goin' to name them, the bass player may post on here for all I know?) they were pretty poor, most of the audience seemed dissapointed, they played for just over an hour and a half and it cost fifteen quid.

So your Fragile yes show was very good value, i'll keep an eye out them.

[quote name='mart' post='1178420' date='Mar 27 2011, 04:13 PM']That'll be Cylchfan, won't it! :) I couldn't understand anything of the first few lines and only got it when I spotted "deg" and "hafau" and then "dau deg pedwar". My Welsh doesn't really go beyond numbers and seasons! (So I had to get some help to write the title in Welsh.

Btw, I thought the thread was about a Yes tribute band that kept splitting up.[/quote]

ydw!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1177761' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:11 AM']It's Saturday night, I'm bored and saw this thread then I realised how many names you could have for a Yes cover band, not taking the p*ss but yeah, probably a pointless post, my apology's.[/quote]
I thought your post was quite amusing, in a Saturday-night-I'm-bored-but-what-the-hell sort of way. Given the creative names tribute bands tend to come up with nowadays, Fragile is pretty lame. I think I paid about a tenner to see the real Yes, and went out for dinner with them afterwards.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1177940' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:04 AM']Guess the song!

ac maent yn sefyll yno.
ar dau deg pedwar cyn fy nghariad i Mi fyddai yno i chi![/b][/quote]

I didn't think I knew any Welsh, but I realised I knew that "llyn" was lake, and I recognised "mynydd" was to do with mountains...so it was easy from there!
(now I come to think of it, both those pieces of information were gleaned from reading Alan Garner books as a child)

Incidentally, I'm sure I won't be the only one to notice that translating the lyrics into Welsh makes them no less comprehensible. :)

Edited by Earbrass

I did see them several years ago but their touring seemed very on-off for a while and I wondered if they'd quit completely. Glad to see them out and about. No dates anywhere East Mids so I guess I won't seem them, I could possibly have made The Robin if either gigs were weekends but no chance on a weekday. Re Wayne's possible names list, when the 'alternative yes' breakaway thing happened in the late 80's there was a rumour that they would call themselves 'The Affirmative'. Wakeman then came out in press and said they'd probably just use their names and so the firm of accountants and sometime musicians 'Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe' was born.