Why become a member? ×

I just bought a Lakland Skyline Decade

Thunderpaws

I previously posted asking advice between a G&L L2000, a Skyline 44-01, a Fender Jazz Highway One and Schecter Model T. After searching and looking on Ebay, narrowly missing a Fender Marcus Miller and Lakland Joe signiture I turned my attention to a listing on Ebay for a new Decade.

I just won it. Yes. I just won a Skyline Decade on Ebay and am over the moon, hopefully the seller gets back to me within the next minute so I can pick her up....What should I call her?

Garry :)

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1176961' date='Mar 26 2011, 09:44 AM']I previously posted asking advice between a G&L L2000, a Skyline 44-01, a Fender Jazz Highway One and Schecter Model T. After searching and looking on Ebay, narrowly missing a Fender Marcus Miller and Lakland Joe signiture I turned my attention to a listing on Ebay for a new Decade.

I just won it. Yes. I just won a Skyline Decade on Ebay and am over the moon, hopefully the seller gets back to me within the next minute so I can pick her up....What should I call her?

Garry :)[/quote]

Hope it works out, I was sniffing around for a Decade recently and saw that bass. The seller appears to have sold that bass twice before though (unless he's got several, which I guess is possible), so you might want to exercise some caution re payment etc.

Good luck

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1176968' date='Mar 26 2011, 09:59 AM']Hope it works out, I was sniffing around for a Decade recently and saw that bass. The seller appears to have sold that bass twice before though (unless he's got several, which I guess is possible), so you might want to exercise some caution re payment etc.

Good luck

C[/quote]
I've been dubious about that seller too for the same reason - IIRC there was a thread about it. Ah here it is: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120091&hl=decade"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...1&hl=decade[/url].

Good luck with it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1177011' date='Mar 26 2011, 10:48 AM']I've been dubious about that seller too for the same reason - IIRC there was a thread about it. Ah here it is: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120091&hl=decade"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...1&hl=decade[/url].

Good luck with it.[/quote]

If it is a fake, how do I tell?

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1177026' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:03 AM']If it is a fake, how do I tell?[/quote]

There'll be plenty of help on here once (if) you get it. Posting detailed pics on this page will allow the guys who own a Decade or who know them (plus the guys who work in music stores) to help you out. Obviously the serial number is key, and you may need to contact Lakland to make sure it is legit and that it's not stolen.

You should really ask the seller for the SN and as many other details as reasonable at this stage, if it is stolen (or you get the feeling it's iffy), you simply reverse the deal via Paypal before he sends the bass and things get more complicated. He can't leave you negative feedback if you do things properly (although you should have checked these details ahead of bidding really)

C

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1177026' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:03 AM']If it is a fake, how do I tell?[/quote]

Ok, Just spoke to the seller on the phone and he is working. I got his contact number from Ebay.

He seems like a genuine bloke. He bought guitars in from a website in America as he thought he'd sell them on to make a wee bit money as he wants to start trading. He also brought in Fenders and Rickenbackers. He has sold the Laklands at a loss and is a bit gutted about it. I asked him questions about the bass and where he got them, what they were like to play, serial numbers and the like and he seemed straight up. I am meeting him tomorrow to pick it up half way. He brought them in from something like "Funkin Music" or something.

I hope and seem to have got a genuine bargain...he said he needed £700 ish to break even.

I'll confirm this tomorrow night when everything has gone right.

On the Paypal matter, he had used his email address for eBay then tried to register it with Paypal but couldn't for some reason. He has tried sorting it out with Paypal and will try again.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1177080' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:49 AM']Ok, Just spoke to the seller on the phone and he is working. I got his contact number from Ebay.

He seems like a genuine bloke. He bought guitars in from a website in America as he thought he'd sell them on to make a wee bit money as he wants to start trading. He also brought in Fenders and Rickenbackers. He has sold the Laklands at a loss and is a bit gutted about it. I asked him questions about the bass and where he got them, what they were like to play, serial numbers and the like and he seemed straight up. I am meeting him tomorrow to pick it up half way. He brought them in from something like "Funkin Music" or something.

I hope and seem to have got a genuine bargain...he said he needed £700 ish to break even.

On the Paypal matter, he had used his email address for eBay then tried to register it with Paypal but couldn't for some reason. He has tried sorting it out with Paypal and will try again.[/quote]

That's good news mate

Re Paypal, are you saying you've paid someone other than him? That could make things very difficult of you need to make a claim, sorry, but that's the way it is.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow and keep us posted.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1177098' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:01 PM']That's good news mate

Re Paypal, are you saying you've paid someone other than him? That could make things very difficult of you need to make a claim, sorry, but that's the way it is.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow and keep us posted.[/quote]

It is good news. I have paid him. The only issue he has is that someone messed up with his email address. Either him or them.

Looking forward to playing it.

g

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1177080' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:49 PM']Ok, Just spoke to the seller on the phone and he is working. I got his contact number from Ebay.

On the Paypal matter, he had used his email address for eBay then tried to register it with Paypal but couldn't for some reason. He has tried sorting it out with Paypal and will try again.[/quote]
Well that all sounds feasible but he does seem to have made a mistake about the market at the present time. He might have got a better price with some proper pics instead of stock pics with the wrong pickup covers and if he'd known that all Skyline Decades have Chisonics.

I would say the price is good. I have one of these so I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1178833' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:42 PM']Have you got it yet?[/quote]

Nope. Not got it yet. However, I have phoned Paypal again but they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. No help from them until the 7th day when if I have't got it yet I can raise a claim of some sort. Anyway, apparently he has sorted out his bank account link with Paypal now and once my money makes it to his bank account I can get the guitar. All a bit worrying and I hope to hell it's all ok.

The seller is either a con man or he lives on another planet. I hope it's the other planet.

If I don't have this by Friday I am taking action to get my money back. Apparently you don't get it all back though as Paypal take an admin fee.

Cheers for now.

g

PS: to help me through this week I have been doing a bit more work on my home made bass. Binding channel on carved top is difficult!

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1179997' date='Mar 28 2011, 08:47 PM']Nope. Not got it yet. However, I have phoned Paypal again but they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. No help from them until the 7th day when if I have't got it yet I can raise a claim of some sort. Anyway, apparently he has sorted out his bank account link with Paypal now and once my money makes it to his bank account I can get the guitar. All a bit worrying and I hope to hell it's all ok.

The seller is either a con man or he lives on another planet. I hope it's the other planet.

If I don't have this by Friday I am taking action to get my money back. Apparently you don't get it all back though as Paypal take an admin fee.

Cheers for now.

g

PS: to help me through this week I have been doing a bit more work on my home made bass. Binding channel on carved top is difficult![/quote]

You have a PM

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1180043' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:08 PM']Not that it matters because you were prepared to bid more than £500 anyway but you do realise that he's been shill bidding his basses up to £500! :)

Those with a good detective's nose (Inspector Beedster :lol: ) will be able to find the evidence. :)[/quote]

How can you tell someone has been shill bidding?

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1180059' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:14 PM']How can you tell someone has been shill bidding?[/quote]

Thems trade secrets, known only to the ebay Police... However, if you look at the bidding history on his last 'THREE' Decade sales you might see the pattern. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1180066' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:17 PM']Thems trade secrets, known only to the ebay Police... However, if you look at the bidding history on his last 'THREE' Decade sales you might see the pattern. :)[/quote]

I see the pattern. bids going up from the same bidder with no competition.

Think I'd make a good detective too, found out where he plays football, position and d.o.b. so know where to find him if this goes pearshaped.

contacted the bank who told me the money has already gone so can't be stopped. That was on Sunday.

Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but if the email address you've forwarded moneys to is not the email address that the seller has registered on eBay then you may encounter difficulties raising a dispute that PayPal will respond to. Certainly, if you forwarded moneys to an email address using the "gift" facility on PayPal you may well have shot yourself in the foot when it comes to recovering any moneys paid (unless you can prove a link between the eBay sale and the PayPal "gift").

[quote name='noelk27' post='1180347' date='Mar 29 2011, 01:37 AM']Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but if the email address you've forwarded moneys to is not the email address that the seller has registered on eBay then you may encounter difficulties raising a dispute that PayPal will respond to. Certainly, if you forwarded moneys to an email address using the "gift" facility on PayPal you may well have shot yourself in the foot when it comes to recovering any moneys paid (unless you can prove a link between the eBay sale and the PayPal "gift").[/quote]

I did everything by the book. Just off the phone to Paypal again. They have assured me I wont loose a bean and have opened up a case against the seller. Now I can't even get in contact with him. Through some detective work though I found out which football team he plays for and what he does for a living. There's no way I'm coming out of this without either a Decade or my money. Has put me right off using eBay though!

Maybe we need a thread for eBay disasters! Back to the binding on my self build now!

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1181067' date='Mar 29 2011, 05:42 PM']Has put me right off using eBay though![/quote]

You only had to look up 'Decade' in the eBay forum here and you could have saved yourself a lot of grief.

You say you did everything by the book but that doesn't tie in with his story about his email not being recognised by Paypal? Note that some of his old feedback suggests that at least one other buyer was put off by him using the same story.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1181125' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:18 PM']You will be leaving negative feedback... yes? It's the only way to ensure he doesn't keep pulling the stunt and he can't neg you.[/quote]

I left negative feedback (saying I was worried) only to receive a rather aggressive message from Mr Murray. I don't think he likes negative feedback. I'm trying my hardest not to swear here or call him all the names under the sun. All I did was try and buy a guitar. Society sucks sometimes, there are too many bottom feeders.