Why become a member? ×

What is the going rate for getting paid to play?

Grand Wazoo

I play in a band doing all of our own material and at some venues we are clearing £450 - £500 per gig as we have a reasonable following. They pay the support bands £60 which seems a bit of a raw deal to me.

As previously said most bands playing original material don't care what they get paid as long as basic costs are covered and that is certainly our ethos when playing "out of town".

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1172210' date='Mar 22 2011, 03:32 PM']In a nutshell, I am not aming to make serious money out of it, I do have a day job and this is just a hobby, however travel expenses and more importantly fuel cost which is the biggest issue on everyone's agenda recently, but I am more concerned about ways to repay the drummer and his van, and for the other 2 to get a meal and a drink out of it.[/quote]

Very interesting and useful thread (even if it might be in the wrong place).

I play in two covers bands in the SE of England and the going rates for the whole band are:

Pubs: £200 to £250

Social Clubs: £275 to £550 (big nights like NYE are £750 to £850+)

Private parties: £300 to £400

Weddings: £600 to £800 (upwards)

[quote name='gjones' post='1172782' date='Mar 22 2011, 11:52 PM']The art of negotiation is to start high.

So when they ask how much you charge say £10,000 and you can work your way downwards from there.

By the time they've beaten you down to £5,000 they'll think they've got a bargain.[/quote]

You're not a double glazing salesman by any chance? :)

[quote name='sussexbassman' post='1172775' date='Mar 22 2011, 11:43 PM']Very interesting and useful thread (even if it might be in the wrong place)[/quote]

Yeah I realized only too late that I posted it in the wrong section. However my intentions were genuine and I thought this could be an interesting topic, however I am beginning to believe that bands should sign up to some sort of Musician's Union to ensure them a fair fee is always paid and to avoid a bum deal with a venue that won't pay well. Do you get that feeling that gigging is similar to prostitution, anyone?

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1172894' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:04 AM']Yeah I realized only too late that I posted it in the wrong section. However my intentions were genuine and I thought this could be an interesting topic, however I am beginning to believe that bands should sign up to some sort of Musician's Union to ensure them a fair fee is always paid and to avoid a bum deal with a venue that won't pay well. Do you get that feeling that gigging is similar to prostitution, anyone?[/quote]
But it varies so much between pub/area and band that it just wouldn't work imo.

If my band are happy, the venue are happy and Mrs F61 remains happy does it matter what the actual rate is. I aim this point at the weekend warriors and not the full time pro's who [b][u]are[/u][/b] affected by my previous comment, but it's the pubs that dictate the rate in my area and they are struggling big time and more an more are closing or putting on juke boxes/karaoke instead of live bands.

We need to be realistic or the whole live music scene will die.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1172894' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:04 AM']however I am beginning to believe that bands should sign up to some sort of Musician's Union to ensure them a fair fee is always paid and to avoid a bum deal with a venue that won't pay well.[/quote]

There's already a Musicians Union. :)

They already have some recommended fees, but it's too coarse a measurement as too many assumptions are being made.
You can't standardise musicians, some will always be better or worse than others and it's really up to the individual musician to decide on whether the fee offered is appropriate for their level of expertise or the accessibility of the material they are performing.

It may not be great but the reality is that you can't force a venue into paying an amount it doesn't want to pay, all that will happen is that they will book someone who [b]will[/b] play for that money.

[quote name='icastle' post='1172910' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:25 AM']... all that will happen is that they will book someone who [b]will[/b] play for that money.[/quote]
Then there's "pay to play".
If we start making firm demands of the venues then there's nothing stopping them adopting PTP and getting some rich kids with all the gear and no idea to play to an audience who don't appreciate real music in the first place because they are being force fed talentless formulaic shyte over the airwaves anyway.

And how do you legislate for charity gigs, festivals or Big Dave's birthday party?

The way to pull in a decent fee is to take over the organising of the event yourself - with the help of unpaid volunteers (the WAGs and fans). In my old tribute band we would do everything right down to booking the support who we'd pay ourselves. We'd aim to pull in £400 net profit for the night and 9 times out of 10 the money went straight into the band's account - if we were playing away from home occasionally we'd all agree to go crazy with it.
My originals band, playing pretty much the same venues but relying on the pub to do all the work would be lucky to make a quarter of that.... gross!

Depends on the venue. Depends on the gig.

We'll do free ones if there's something to be gained in exposure or experience by doing them or they're for charity. We'll gamble on a door take at paying venues and normally come out pretty OK. Just moving into the pub market and from what others have said here we're getting the thick end of the average which is nice for a 100% originals band.

We've done a few gigs on trust by saying pay us what you think we're worth when we've finished. Only one place took the proverbial and we won't be back there.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1172996' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:58 AM']Grand Wazoo - are you playing covers or originals?

I was going to check your bands web site but you don't seem to have a link to it.[/quote]

two bands: both doing covers, the latest is a Santana tribute band still 90% in the making, we don't have bogs, I don't even know how to make a blog tbh, but we have made a few enquiries with pubs and clubs and we've been given a bit of a run around with the paying fees that some of the guys in the band have been unimpressed with.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1173027' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:20 AM']two bands: both doing covers, the latest is a Santana tribute band still 90% in the making, we don't have bogs, I don't even know how to make a blog tbh, but we have made a few enquiries with pubs and clubs and we've been given a bit of a run around with the paying fees that some of the guys in the band have been unimpressed with.[/quote]

If you area talking about London, then there will probably be plenty of bands they don't know, they can takle a chance on for little money.

In our negotiations, they all talk about web sites, demo or contact details and they are trying to weed out..what they perceive as.. the weak and chancers.
You need to get past this and convince them that you aren't a chance but if the competition is cheaper..and more plentiful, then they'll probably use you as a later resort.

Personally, I think a myspace type page is not a great way to impress as it can imply a thrown together solution but at least it is a start.
Pubs incurr costs on startup...maybe they need to be convinced that the band is more than serious than most and worth a booking.

Have to admit, not been up to London so often of late, but I doubt it has changed much in terms of too many bands.