Why become a member? ×

New Computer - specs..opinions

fragility

So my current PC is really getting to that stage of slowing down considerably, and given that
- since the day I bought it with Vista, it's obviously been a pain
- I think it's got enough life left in it to keep it as our internet machine
- got a little bit of unexpected income

I'm thinking of getting a new computer purely for musical purposes.

So the plan is to go with a laptop, as it means that me and my other half have the option to sit and work on really dull copying of programmed drums/laying out time sigs etc. and can make progress on all that boring stuff while we sit and chat in front of the tv

So at the moment, we're toying with the new Macbook Pro, or a PC (a whole separate debate as to whether we can really justify such a huge additional cost for the Mac), and I was hoping you good folks could give me some feedback on the spec we're looking at for ideas as to whether this is a good option.
So main uses:
- we've got a line 6 toneport ux-2 which is used for daily just playing/jamming etc
- composing stuff in GuitarPro (so essentially, we lay out all of our songs here first)
- with the view to making some decent recordings of the several years worth of compositions we've got. This will include a fair few virtual instruments etc (I've yet to find a reliable drummer who can cope with loads of time sigs and I like adding in synth stuff etc) We're currently using Cubase Essential 5, with the view to changing when budget allows

Proposed spec:

Processor (CPU)
Intel Core i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-740QM (1.73GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1GB GDDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Thanks!

I'd go with the Macbook Pro option. It might be dearer but I much prefer OSX over all the versions of windows I have/had (currently have a laptop with W7 & whilst it's a pretty good machine, I regret not getting a macbook).
Other option is an iMac. My main machine is an iMac & have it running both OSX & W7 under Parallels (tho I rarely use W7 on it anymore). My other 1/2 was always a diehard PC fan & hated macs, now it's a fight for who's on the mac & who gets windows (or sit & watch telly).

A Windows machine gives you comparable power for a lot less money than a Mac. It's also easy to optimise for audio processing, and in general easier to get under the hood. And there's more free software about.

Your specs look good, but you need a very clean system if you're to record and mix without glitches. I'd be inclined to dual boot a Windows system, so one system is used only for audio and doesn't have any unnecessary services or progs running. It needn't have internet access, antivirus etc. The other system is for general computing.

You might find an external firewire (preferably) or USB2 hard drive a big help. You use it only for data, so the system isn't trying to do too many things on the one disk at the same time. You can use your internal drive to back that up (vastly important).

Have fun. :)

Edited by fatback

+1 for the external hard drive, it makes such a difference. IMO Cubase essential 5 is really a 'bare bones' program; if you're serious about doing high quality recording then you'll probably need to upgrade this. Cubase 6 has just come out, but I've seen it do very little other than crash (on Windows 7) today. I'd look at 'Reaper' - you can record and edit to a greater degree than Cubase 5 LE will allow, and the license costs considerably less than Cubase.
Also I've noticed that the EZ Drummer plugin loads almost instantly in Reaper, whereas in Protools it can take a couple of minutes to load all the sounds.

I know it's the age-old bore, but I've found my productivity increased massively when I moved to Mac computers. I spend very little time reinstalling drivers and resolving hardware conflicts, because there simply aren't any - I boot up and compose - end of story. If you can't swing for a brand new one, then look at a used Macbook Pro, still a lot of machine for the money. Just my 2c worth.

+1 for a dual boot drive if you DO go the windows route.. (there ARE a lot of awesome free plugs for windows!!! ) one thing to possibly bear in mind if your going to be using a 64bit OS check out any compatibilty issues with certain 32bit software you may be wanting to use ??? just a thought.......

with regards to Reaper, im hearing LOADS of good things about that DAW lately!!

Macbook Pros are a good choice of laptop for music just because they have a Firewire port, which are becoming increasingly difficult to find on notebooks. Even the older Macbook Pros will handle tons of VSTs and plugins unless you're doing something insane you shouldn't struggle hardware-wise.

I bought a used late 2009 Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago (2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8Gb RAM) for £900 and I finally got it set up how I wanted it and started doing some serious recording and mixing on it using Pro Tools today. It's apparently just as capable as my Windows desktop Pro Tools setup, I haven't come across any hardware issues at all, it's a good little box. I wouldn't say OS X is a big productivity improvement over Windows (especially not if you were anything of a Windows 'power user' to begin with) but it's not intrusive at least. If you're a Unix nerd it's brilliant especially being able to just pull up a console and BASH the sh*t out of it, but the GUI is still quite immature compared to Windows - it's not as intuitive as the commercials make it out to be and the interface isn't consistent across the whole UI and native applications which can be frustrating. Windows is actually the better OS in this regard although Mac fanboys would never admit it.

Still, I think if you want something portable (I did, plus I needed a portable Unix-based computer for professional work) they are a good option. It's true that Windows computers will do it cheaper and I still maintain Windows is the more mature OS despite its problems, but as I said it's difficult to find a Windows notebook with a Firewire port.

Edited by thisnameistaken

The laptop spec certainly sounds powerful enough... An express slot to add a firewire card may be needed if you want to upgrade the interface ( the UX2 is lacking midi for inputting drums and keys), and the 8gig of RAM will run plenty of VSTi's and effects.

To use the full 8 gig of RAM, a 64 bit OS is needed (Windows 7x64) - and a 32bit DAW to be able to use all those free third party VST/VSTi's.

As mentioned by myself and many others - whenever computer recording is discussed.... Try Reaper - so good I actually bought it, when I could have carried on using the unrestricted demo and ignored the 5 second nag screen!

Download reaper's unexpiring and uncrippled demo [url="http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php"]here[/url]

[quote name='OldG' post='1167944' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:24 AM']To use the full 8 gig of RAM, a 64 bit OS is needed (Windows 7x64) - and a 32bit DAW to be able to use all those free third party VST/VSTi's.[/quote]

64 bit DAW's would come with its own 64 plug fx, and 64 bit VSTI'S etc
However you can run 32 bit plugs and synths in a 64 bit DAW using J-Bridge [very cheap]
[url="http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/"]http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/[/url]

For what its worth i am running Cubase 6 on W7 and a quadcore 64 bit machine [all x64] with no problems or crashes.
I went desk top rather than mobile, because i could use the PCIe slots for Audio cards.
[url="http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_overview_pci_express.php"]http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_overview_pci_express.php[/url]

If you want to tune W7 for Audio have a look here. [It says for Vista - but is also used for W7]
[url="http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=31969&Keyword=vista+optimizedfalse"]http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/det...+optimizedfalse[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

If you [i]do[/i] decide to go Mac (lord knows I'm not getting into that one :) ), keep an eye on [url="http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro"]the refurb store[/url]. Old models, newer models, even the most bang-up-to-date ones, with some wedge knocked off. Get yerself a (relative) bargain with the peace of mind of a proper Apple warranty.

[quote name='OldG' post='1167944' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:24 AM']The laptop spec certainly sounds powerful enough... An express slot to add a firewire card may be needed if you want to upgrade the interface ( the UX2 is lacking midi for inputting drums and keys), and the 8gig of RAM will run plenty of VSTi's and effects.

To use the full 8 gig of RAM, a 64 bit OS is needed (Windows 7x64) - and a 32bit DAW to be able to use all those free third party VST/VSTi's.[/quote]

actually recent DAWs such as cakewalk 8.5 and newer come with an in built bridge app so you can use 32 bit plugins on the 64 bit version. I find the 64 bit version is usually a bit quicker as well.

The computer sounds good, as has been said get an external drive for backup as well.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1168023' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:30 AM']actually recent DAWs such as cakewalk 8.5 and newer come with an in built bridge app so you can use 32 bit plugins on the 64 bit version.[/quote]

They do , but the J-Bridge has much more options for dealing with rogue plug ins...
And can also do reverse bridge - 64 to 32 bit if needed.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1168049' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:04 AM']They do , but the J-Bridge has much more options for dealing with rogue plug ins...
And can also do reverse bridge - 64 to 32 bit if needed.

Garry[/quote]

I've never had any problems with rouge plug-ins myself, and i doubt i will need to worry about 32 bit backwards compatability again since both my computers are 64 bit. But hopefully someone else may find the link of some assistance if their DAW doesn't have built in bit bridge functionality?

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='fragility' post='1167017' date='Mar 18 2011, 01:05 PM']So my current PC is really getting to that stage of slowing down considerably, and given that
- since the day I bought it with Vista, it's obviously been a pain
- I think it's got enough life left in it to keep it as our internet machine
- got a little bit of unexpected income

I'm thinking of getting a new computer purely for musical purposes.

So the plan is to go with a laptop, as it means that me and my other half have the option to sit and work on really dull copying of programmed drums/laying out time sigs etc. and can make progress on all that boring stuff while we sit and chat in front of the tv

So at the moment, we're toying with the new Macbook Pro, or a PC (a whole separate debate as to whether we can really justify such a huge additional cost for the Mac), and I was hoping you good folks could give me some feedback on the spec we're looking at for ideas as to whether this is a good option.
So main uses:
- we've got a line 6 toneport ux-2 which is used for daily just playing/jamming etc
- composing stuff in GuitarPro (so essentially, we lay out all of our songs here first)
- with the view to making some decent recordings of the several years worth of compositions we've got. This will include a fair few virtual instruments etc (I've yet to find a reliable drummer who can cope with loads of time sigs and I like adding in synth stuff etc) We're currently using Cubase Essential 5, with the view to changing when budget allows

Proposed spec:

Processor (CPU)
Intel Core i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-740QM (1.73GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1GB GDDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Thanks![/quote]

Mac book pro you won't regret

[quote name='Tuco' post='1168184' date='Mar 19 2011, 01:11 PM']all this talk of 64 bits!!!! LOL, i must be the ONLY person here running good old 32bit XP SP1 :)[/quote]

Well I have at least updated it to SP3 but I am running 32-bit XP on my desktop. Didn't want Vista, don't want Win7, XP works so why switch to a newer OS with newer problems?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1168463' date='Mar 19 2011, 04:48 PM']Well I have at least updated it to SP3 but I am running 32-bit XP on my desktop. Didn't want Vista, don't want Win7, XP works so why switch to a newer OS with newer problems?[/quote]
singing from the samre hymn sheet squire :)
i had trouble with sp2/3 as it goes.... i got no internet (or even the capability) on my "music" PC ,so i downloaded sp2 & 3 from the microsoft website on my wifes laptop,installed them (in safe mode),defragged,rebooted etc etc and when i ran ableton i had SO many pops & crackles no matter how i set the buffer i reformatted back to sp1.. i toyed with the idea of reformatting again (yeh i love it!!) and installing the service packs BEFORE id installed my audio software but i bottled it lol
its a shame because theres a certain couple of freeware vsts i wanted to check out (ignite amps NRR1 and TS-999) but they only run on sp2 or later (something to do with the VC++ compiling software used in the vsts design being a 2010 version or summat.........? WAY over the top of my head!!)

[quote name='Tuco' post='1168696' date='Mar 19 2011, 07:42 PM']singing from the samre hymn sheet squire :)
i had trouble with sp2/3 as it goes.... i got no internet (or even the capability) on my "music" PC ,so i downloaded sp2 & 3 from the microsoft website on my wifes laptop,installed them (in safe mode),defragged,rebooted etc etc and when i ran ableton i had SO many pops & crackles no matter how i set the buffer i reformatted back to sp1.. i toyed with the idea of reformatting again (yeh i love it!!) and installing the service packs BEFORE id installed my audio software but i bottled it lol
its a shame because theres a certain couple of freeware vsts i wanted to check out (ignite amps NRR1 and TS-999) but they only run on sp2 or later (something to do with the VC++ compiling software used in the vsts design being a 2010 version or summat.........? WAY over the top of my head!!)[/quote]

Care to try an audio optimized stripped down XP32 with SP3 slipstreamed into the install? It runs like lightning for most people that use it ( many thanks to Dux over at the Reaper forum) - you'll need all your own drivers for motherboard,sound,video etc....

[url="http://fallofarcadia.com/Reaper/WXPSP3AO.iso"]XP audio optimized ISO[/url]

Use your own XP key to activate (OEM won't work)

Nearly forgot, When you get to the install, name yourself DAWuser and leave the password blank - change it to whatever you want later, but you have to do this to log on in the first place.

Edited by OldG

[quote name='fatback' post='1168372' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:44 PM']No you're not. :) And with an audio setup if it aint broke etc.[/quote]

I run 32bit XP on my recording laptop with no problems at all (until I need to use more than 2gig of the 4 installed) - I am about to partition to dual-boot W7x64 to be able to access the rest for memory intensive VSTi's etc...

[quote name='OldG' post='1169140' date='Mar 20 2011, 07:08 AM']Care to try an audio optimized stripped down XP32 with SP3 slipstreamed into the install? It runs like lightning for most people that use it ( many thanks to Dux over at the Reaper forum) - you'll need all your own drivers for motherboard,sound,video etc....

[url="http://fallofarcadia.com/Reaper/WXPSP3AO.iso"]XP audio optimized ISO[/url]

Use your own XP key to activate (OEM won't work)[/quote]
wow!
cheers fella!!

`preciate it :)