Why become a member? ×

Is bass becoming cooler

Juzgoez

It seems that everyone wants to be up front and shredding on a six string and nobody wants to be at the back thumping on what someone here calls, a coffee table. I'm having a great time with my new hobby, but, is bass becoming cooler....what's the word out there amongst the veterans?

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1165456' date='Mar 17 2011, 09:55 AM']Bass has [i]always [/i]been cool. It's those nerds who play them that ruin the image :)[/quote]
Just ammended my post to cooler..... :) Nice return!

I've found I'm actually listening more to the bass section when I listen to music now so I guess my addiction is kicking in....

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='chris_b' post='1165460' date='Mar 17 2011, 09:57 AM']Playing bass or anything else isn't cool in itself. Playing in a band with other interesting musicians and doing it well is cool.[/quote]
I think you're missing my point here.

In all honesty I think that the general populace is blissfully unaware of the bass as an instrument and as a function. However, I think that as a developing instrument and with new and more exciting players out there, there is a slowly developing realisation that bass is not just 'the low tuned guitar in the background played by the grumpy looking middle aged man in the back' but actually a beautiful instrument in its own right.

Re: 6 string shredding - it's not as prevalent as you might think, just quite 'in' with the bass playing culture at present. And even if you/I don't like it per se, it's good because it brings out new tools, techniques, and brings bass out of the shadows and into the foreground.

So in answer to your question: 'Yes, I think it is getting cooler, but only ever so gradually'

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1165472' date='Mar 17 2011, 10:04 AM']In all honesty I think that the general populace is blissfully unaware of the bass as an instrument and as a function. However, I think that as a developing instrument and with new and more exciting players out there, there is a slowly developing realisation that bass is not just 'the low tuned guitar in the background played by the grumpy looking middle aged man in the back' but actually a beautiful instrument in its own right.

Re: 6 string shredding - it's not as prevalent as you might think, just quite 'in' with the bass playing culture at present. And even if you/I don't like it per se, it's good because it brings out new tools, techniques, and brings bass out of the shadows and into the foreground.

So in answer to your question: 'Yes, I think it is getting cooler, but only ever so gradually'[/quote]
Going by some of the youtube footage I've seen as well as new and up and coming bands there has certainly been some advancement in bass playing.

Well, we're probably several years behind the rest of the country, but that's nothing new. Shops do what they do and stock what they stock because it's financially viable. Judging by the (display) stock levels in the two guitary music shops here where electric guitars outnumber electric basses by anything between 8 and 10 to 1 I'd say that the bass coolness factor just isn't there yet in Aberdeen. It does put me on a bit of a downer to be honest, but at least it stops me just walking in and buying stuff.

FWIW bass has always been cool as far as I'm concerned. The only instruments I have spent any time gaining some level of competence with are the recorder (at primary school) and the bass.

Bass players?

We're cool... cooler than an ice cube in a snowstorm... cooler than a windscreen in December.

In all seriousness, it's amazing how many kids are looking at bass as a viable alternative to guitar nowadays. Trouble is, more bassists means more competition! Are we up to it??? :)

On a completely basic level, the coolest thing about the bass for me is the fact that it's something most people don't notice is there, but would notice if it was gone. I know that's pretty pedestrian, but that was the first appeal about it for me. Like, you can do pretty much anything you like and you're often left to get on with it. It's the reason why there are a lot of boring players out there, but I like the competition of trying to make people notice the bassline.

As has been mentioned, I suspect if you took a poll of a large number of "the public" they wouldn't know what the bass is, who the basist was in their fav. band (if one existed) and probably wouldn't care, so from that side of things the bass/bassist will only be cool if it's someone like Bootsy Collins who stands out from the norm.

But its extremely gratifying to see more a more diverse bassists out there and bass being taken as a "serious" instrument, i.e. not the alternative to being the guitarist or solely for failed guitarists which seems to be the case in the old days.

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1165510' date='Mar 17 2011, 10:38 AM']Being 'cool' is [b]so[/b] noughties...[/quote]
Cool kind of goes in and out of fashion. When the younguns adopt it they think they invented it and are cool..... :)

Old wine in new bottles.....

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1165594' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:36 AM']When you're as cool as I am, you need a cool instrument to play & you don't get much cooler than a great bassline that makes people want to dance. So I took up the Tenor Horn.[/quote]
Yeh, I've heard stories about your coolness.....Woh there big guy! :)

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1165731' date='Mar 17 2011, 01:35 PM']I went for bass because it's uncool, so is therefore cool...[/quote]
You're the man, Mr unCool Cool. I bet we could get into some really deep conversations that go nowhere....... :)

Bass is cool cos if done right you'll feel it before you hear it and it'll make you move. Bass players themselves are a mix of the cool, semi cool, average, tall, short, fat, thin, black, white, geek and on and on and on and that's the coolest part of it. Bass players generally gravitate towards each other and big each other up so that's pretty cool too.

Oh yeah bass guitar design pushes the boundaries far more than any other instrument too IMO and everything from vintage to ultra modern is totally acceptable which again is uber cool.

So to answer - YES it is and it's getting cooler every day!