Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Combo's - Do They Exist?

Linus27

Thinking about get a small lightweight combo that is around 150w and uses either a 10" or 12" speaker. Something medium to good quality that is not really expensive and is compact and light. Do they they exist? I see MarkBass do some small lightweight combos but they are way out of my price range. Any other options or is lightweight not really going to be available to me.

Edited by Linus27

Line 6 Studio 110 for sale here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125327&hl=line"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125327&hl=line[/url]
Not that light at 24lbs but not heavy either and certainly compact.

Also look at the Roland Bass cube series.

The only other tiny lightweight combos i can think of are the Genz Benz Shuttles and the Ibanez Promethean, both of which are way over budget

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1165130' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:15 PM']Line 6 Studio 110 for sale here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125327&hl=line"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125327&hl=line[/url]
Not that light at 24lbs but not heavy either and certainly compact.

Also look at the Roland Bass cube series.

The only other tiny lightweight combos i can think of are the Genz Benz Shuttles and the Ibanez Promethean, both of which are way over budget[/quote]

Nice one, thanks. Just seen the Roland Cube 100 100 Watt 1x12 Cab Combo which is £279. Might just do the trick.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1165165' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:42 PM']Talking of Ashdown, what about the Ashdown Five 15 100 watt 1x15 Bass Amp? Any good?[/quote]

Well it isn't lightweight... Cheapest way of going light will be to find a small secondhand cab, use your Shuttle with it and just be careful how loud you turn up!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1165499' date='Mar 17 2011, 10:30 AM']Well it isn't lightweight... Cheapest way of going light will be to find a small secondhand cab, use your Shuttle with it and just be careful how loud you turn up![/quote]

To be honest, that is what I am doing at the moment, using one of my GS112 and the Shuttle 6. It's only used at rehearsals at the guitarists house (all acoustic guitars) so it would be nice to just be able to pick up the combo and bass with leads in the gigbag rather than having take half my rig apart, then pack the shuttle 6 and cables and amp leads. Then after practise, put my rig back together again when I get home. Its more for convience really.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1165504' date='Mar 17 2011, 10:33 AM']The Ashdown Perfect Ten weighs more than an average 2-bed semi, so I'd assume the 5-15 is even heavier. Brilliant sound though, absolutely lovely![/quote]

Oh, thats a shame. It is only shortish lifts but the point was to go more lightweight.

[quote name='iconic' post='1165150' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:28 PM']I really like my Ashdown EB-12-180 EVO....very light too, does everything I need and some....seen a few used over here for small gigs.[/quote]

I don't consider 27kg (60lb) to be light. I have the same combo and have sometimes wondered in the past whether they should have built it with two side handles instead of one top handle, because in my opinion it's pushing the top end of the scale for a comfortable one-hand carry.

S.P.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1165524' date='Mar 17 2011, 10:47 AM']I was going to say you have a 42lb GS cab and a lightweight amp so a 2 handed carry.
How much lighter can you achieve to a real cost benefit?

£250 to duplicate what you pretty much have..???[/quote]

Yeah but I only need about 100w to take to a practise which is in somebody's front room and just two acoustic guitars. Everytime I go which can be twice a week, I have to dismantle half my rig, pack it all away and then rebuild it again when I get home. When I get to practise, I then have to unpack the shuttle 6, leads etc, set everything up and then dismantle and pack it all away again after practise. It would be great to just chuck the bass and leads in the gig bag, grab the combo and go. A combo which is just plug in and play would be so more convenient. This is also why I want to keep to a limited budget and why spending £600 - £800 on a MarkBass combo would be a bit over the top for what I need it for.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1165567' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:14 AM']In that case, get a thin sheet of foam and a length of webbing and strap your Shuttle onto the cab with the foam sheet under it so it grips and doesn't move. Shorten the speakon lead so there's minimal slack and you thus have a reasonably lightweight combo, for about a fiver! :)[/quote]

HAHAHAHA your good. So if we see something like thing from Bareface, then we will know where the idea came from :)

[quote name='razze06' post='1165568' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:14 AM']Do you really need 100w to practice in somebody's front room with 2 acoustic guitars?
I would have thought a 30w practice amp would do the trick...[/quote]

I have a horrible Laney RB2 combo which is 30 watts and it sounds terrible and like a wet fish. It sits on top of the waredrobe never to be used again as it it awful. I want something that has a bit a meat behind it.

To play with two acoustic guitars you don't need more than a simple practise amp! Even a 15W s/h quality amp would suit you just fine! I can't avoid recommending my own choise, a Trace Elliot Boxer15 - only 15W but a huge punch with great quality - you'll be able to find them in the region of £50 in the sales section or fleabay.

edit: it WILL sound a lot better (and probably louder) than your Laney!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1165593' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:36 AM']To play with two acoustic guitars you don't need more than a simple practise amp! Even a 15W s/h quality amp would suit you just fine! I can't avoid recommending my own choise, a Trace Elliot Boxer15 - only 15W but a huge punch with great quality - you'll be able to find them in the region of £50 in the sales section or fleabay.

edit: it WILL sound a lot better (and probably louder) than your Laney![/quote]

It would have to sound a lot better than the Laney as it does sound dire. Still not convinced 15W would be enough. Two acoustic guitars, two vocals does get quite loud. Plus the possibility of keyboards along the way.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1165593' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:36 AM']To play with two acoustic guitars you don't need more than a simple practise amp! Even a 15W s/h quality amp would suit you just fine! I can't avoid recommending my own choise, a Trace Elliot Boxer15 - only 15W but a huge punch with great quality - you'll be able to find them in the region of £50 in the sales section or fleabay.

edit: it WILL sound a lot better (and probably louder) than your Laney![/quote]

Never used the mentioned TE combo, it may be just the ticket. However, there's a vast selection of good lightweight and relatively cheap practice amps around that kind of power (15W-30W).

I personally use a roland microcube RX for home practice, but that's probably too underpowered at 8W

If it's just for practice then you won't need that much power and you have more options.
Warwick do some small combos, as do Hartke with their A series. I have the A70 which gets very loud, even the 35 is surprisingly powerful and is both small and light.

I'd check out that Line6 i linked to earlier though, that's a good deal and much cheaper than buying new.