Why become a member? ×

Anyone know this bass?

Paultrader

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of me playing my first bass at Crawley Bandstand in about 1972. I bought it for a fiver and it lasted me quite well. It was a Framus, I thought it was a Star Bass but it can't have been. I've never seen one since or found a photo anywhere of such an instrument. Has anyone ever come across one of these? Note the home made control plate - the original chrome one kept falling off because the screw holes wore out and it was sellotaped on for a time till I made a new wooden one. Those were the days!

The amp was an Impact 60 and the speaker cabinet homemade with a Goodman's 18" speaker in it.

[attachment=74935:Crawley_...stand_72.jpg]

Not even the Framus book shows one exactly like yours (or the Google find).

It does show the 5/150 Star Bass De Luxe, same non-f-hole single-cut body and ‘New Line’ wood stripe finish, but two pickups and a large pickguard with four knobs mounted on it. Built late '50s-mid ’60s.

Those were my black loon pants - I loved them. I think I actually bought them pre-decimalisation for 13/6 so this may have been Summer '71 in fact. The thinnest cotton, no pockets and very sexy at the time. I think it's time we re-assessed the seventies; I had a wonderful time!

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1164699' date='Mar 16 2011, 05:51 PM']Those were my black loon pants - I loved them. I think I actually bought them pre-decimalisation for 13/6 so this may have been Summer '71 in fact. The thinnest cotton, no pockets and very sexy at the time. I think it's time we re-assessed the seventies; I had a wonderful time![/quote]

The only thing about those thin cotton flairs was that if you tripped onto your knee, that always caused a tear or whole, and as we all know that meant the bin. Nobody would ever be seen in their best platform shoes and [i]three star jumper[size=5]*[/size] [/i]with a pair of gone at the knee pants.

[size=5]*[/size] cant find any pictures of 3 star jumpers anywhere. Where they really so embarassing that we sub conciously woulnt let ourselves be pictured in them, even when we thought they looked cool ? Maybe their un coolness reached back through time into our dreams via tachyon transmissions and prevented us ever been photographed in them ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1164631' date='Mar 16 2011, 04:51 PM']Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of me playing my first bass at Crawley Bandstand in about 1972. I bought it for a fiver and it lasted me quite well. It was a Framus, I thought it was a Star Bass but it can't have been. I've never seen one since or found a photo anywhere of such an instrument. Has anyone ever come across one of these? Note the home made control plate - the original chrome one kept falling off because the screw holes wore out and it was sellotaped on for a time till I made a new wooden one. Those were the days!

The amp was an Impact 60 and the speaker cabinet homemade with a Goodman's 18" speaker in it.

[attachment=74935:Crawley_...stand_72.jpg][/quote]

Love the photo!

I played the Bandstand around that time as well, brought up in good old Crawley....used to practice in the old WW2 tin huts around the back of Tilgate Lakes, it was bitterly cold in the winter I remember, thats where I played my first and only Hofner Violin Bass which belonged to Bret Marvin and the Thunderbolts, tried it the once and decided not for me.

[quote name='daz' post='1164720' date='Mar 16 2011, 06:09 PM'][size=5]*[/size] cant find any pictures of 3 star jumpers anywhere. Where they really so embarassing that we sub conciously woulnt let ourselves be pictured in them, even when we thought they looked cool ? Maybe their un coolness reached back through time into our dreams via tachyone transmissions and preventede us ever been photographed in them ?[/quote]

Here's a Youtube clip - the guitarist is wearing one!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LU2W-pvi-A"]star jumper[/url]

[quote name='tauzero' post='1165822' date='Mar 17 2011, 02:49 PM']Weren't they tank tops rather than jumpers?[/quote]

Nah definately jumpers. I had two. Everyone had them, along with those horrible fishtail Parkers (long before the Mods recaimed them in 1980) I do remember there being tank tops as well though.

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1164699' date='Mar 16 2011, 05:51 PM']Those were my black loon pants - I loved them. I think I actually bought them pre-decimalisation for 13/6 so this may have been Summer '71 in fact. The thinnest cotton, no pockets and very sexy at the time. [b]I think it's time we re-assessed the seventies; I had a wonderful time![/b][/quote]

Yeah, cant argue with that. How about a thread with pics of members in the 70s ?

Somebody else will have to start it though, might take ages to find my old photos..lol

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1165738' date='Mar 17 2011, 02:41 PM']Hello Sixshooter. We were interlopers from East Grinstead! We were probably attempting to play Hendrix at the time.[/quote]

Lived in East Grinstead when I got married first time around (1975) for 2 years, and remember playing in a couple of the local pubs including one in Dormandsland?

Good times! but then I had to get a proper job :)

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1164631' date='Mar 16 2011, 05:51 PM']Hi Everyone,

Personally I think that's a damn fine picture. The 70s was probably my favourite decade so far though, so I'm biased!

[quote name='4000' post='1195998' date='Apr 11 2011, 05:38 PM']Personally I think that's a damn fine picture. The 70s was probably my favourite decade so far though, so I'm biased![/quote]

Many thanks - to me they represent great times. I may have much better equipment now, but the enthusiasm was total!

Just spotted what looks like a somewhat butchered one of these on Ebay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/guitar-project-/260765775275"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/guitar-project-/260765775275[/url]

Headstock looks a bit different but the body shape, neck & inlays look identical. Might be a mess under that novelty scratchplate though.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1196426' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:50 AM']Just spotted what looks like a somewhat butchered one of these on Ebay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/guitar-project-/260765775275"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/guitar-project-/260765775275[/url]

Headstock looks a bit different but the body shape, neck & inlays look identical. Might be a mess under that novelty scratchplate though.

Jon.[/quote]

I might just buy that :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1198866' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:50 PM']Great photo!

I hope you don't mind, but I had a few minutes to spare so I thought I'd put a bit of colour back into the pic...

[/quote]

Wow, that's brilliant - thank you so much. It looks tons better now. Would just love to be transported back there for a few moments to really remember what it [u]felt[/u] like.

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1164631' date='Mar 16 2011, 05:51 PM']Hi Everyone,

cool pic