Why become a member? ×

I am looking to get a rig for bigger gigs

Blademan_98

I think the MB 102 combo is a great little combo. I am not sure how hard I would want to push in a loud band setting
as most 1x 2x10's might begin to complain. Of course, it all depends on loud but I would be happier in a medium sized pub with a considerate band playing, it would be fine. If you have to compete with LOUD drums and gtrs then an extra cab would be advisable, IMV.

Add another 2x10 or 1x15 for those louder gigs in pubs and clubs and I can't see you needing anything else.

So yes..a 500watt amp..which is often the norm in nominal power ratings, and a cab that can take 600watts should suit you fine.
Nobody has to use all that power but it is good to have it all in hand, IMO.

Trace Elliot....??

Bomb-proof gear of yester year. Make sure it hasn't been hammered as most will likely have been around for a while and done a decent shift
Not my sound but then I am not buying.
If you like the sound then this route is probably one of the best for bangs for buck.

Or a Markbass Sa450/LMll/lll for around £400 and if you spend £400 you should get a very good 4x10.
There was a SWR610 here for that sort of money.

There has been a really interesting series of articles on this topic in BGM recently - called something like "But this one goes to 11". Worth checking out as it will definitely inform your choices.

If you don't buy it PM me and I'll scan and e-mail them for you.

Estimate that you`ll be playing pubs of 150 capacity without a house pa - there are many out there.

From there, what kindof power/speakers is needed. In my experience, having used 400/500 (hybrid) watt amps, with either one 410 or one 412, that is plenty for those sized venues.

Orange Terror with Marshall 412 - gain & volume on 2
TC Electronic Classic 450 with Ampeg 410 - volume on 4
Marshall DBS 7400 with Marshall 412 - volume on 3
Marshall MB450 with Marshall MB410 - volume on 4

Personally I prefer 410s or 412s, as its only one item to be carried (between you and yr bandmates) so just makes life a bit easier. I feel very "under-dressed" without at least a 410. Saying that though, every time I`ve heard a cracking bass sound in a pub, its been a Markbass or similar combo, either 210 or 115.

Adding a 15, well to me it seems to give a bit more depth to the sound, but no real benefits there unless playing a huge stage/venue, where the 10s wouldn`t project the lows enough. In most venues, a 410 is are way more than is needed for the lows.

[quote name='ead' post='1156192' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:04 AM']There has been a really interesting series of articles on this topic in BGM recently - called something like "But this one goes to 11". Worth checking out as it will definitely inform your choices.

If you don't buy it PM me and I'll scan and e-mail them for you.[/quote]

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/bgm-columns.htm"]These articles[/url] are online on the Barefaced Bass site, courtesy of Alex C

[quote name='JTUK' post='1156112' date='Mar 10 2011, 12:39 AM']So yes..a 500watt amp..which is often the norm in nominal power ratings, and a cab that can take 600watts should suit you fine.
Nobody has to use all that power but it is good to have it all in hand, IMO.[/quote]

Like this one?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125690"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125690[/url]

just for my 2 penneth

never head a bad orange in any type of band
markbass heads are awesome, their cabs are so so
i've never heard a trace elliot i liked, head, cab or otherwise, they just sound empty to me
a 410/810 you will hear stood in front of it, if you move around then prepare for it to sound very different
i adore the sound of 115 cabs - tonally, plus they sound the same wherever you are on the stage, but soundmen hate them! blast too much bass into the crowd when they want that to be their job!

next option for me to try (as i've never had opportunity) are 212s - i'd assume they would handle the bass well, carry right across the stage, not annoy the soundman, and be fairly light

now i'm going to upset people - i've never heard neo speakers sound as full or meaty as ceramic ones - there, i've said it! but i have heard 410 sound as bassy as 115s (just dont expect it to get out to your audiences!

so my general gist - IMHO and IME is pubs and small clubs - go with 10's and big stages/ loud gigs - go more towards 15s

this here is my problem cause i play the range atm! lol

hope this helps, and if you dont agree with any of it, take it with a pinch of salt!

I use a mag 300 head with 4x10 cab. Never had a problem with it being heard - you can always DI into FOH which I have done on a few occasions as thats what the soundguy wanted, and everyone else had been mic'd up....although I am playing a massive venue shortly - 1000+ - lets see how that goes!

I've never seen the point in having a big enough rig just to enter into a pi55ing contest with the guitarist - if they're that loud then they probably need to turn down.

Also, think about the kick drum. In my experience they quickly get lost and the whole band sound starts to get out of balance. You're then into the territory of needing a PA that can take kick drum too.

[quote name='thinman' post='1159520' date='Mar 12 2011, 04:44 PM']I've never seen the point in having a big enough rig just to enter into a pi55ing contest with the guitarist - if they're that loud then they probably need to turn down.

Also, think about the kick drum. In my experience they quickly get lost and the whole band sound starts to get out of balance. You're then into the territory of needing a PA that can take kick drum too.[/quote]
Say's him with a bunch of BFM self builds that's probably able to shift enough air to move the guitarist & his rig off stage! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1159526' date='Mar 12 2011, 04:47 PM']Say's him with a bunch of BFM self builds that's probably able to shift enough air to move the guitarist & his rig off stage! :)[/quote]
Haha - the T39s are for the PA and I kindly share them with the drummers's bass drum. Gives us a nice bit of thud.

I've never tried the whole lot as just a bass rig - I ought to one day for a laugh.