Why become a member? ×

Played a bass with Ebony board?

NJE

[quote name='NJE' post='1152344' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:26 AM']I am just wondering if anyone out there owns or has played a bass with a fretted Ebony board? I know it is used on fretless basses quite a bit, but I dont see many fretted Ebony basses.

Reason I ask is that I have a squier with "Ebanol" fingerboard which is like a dark simulated synthetic ebony and it has amazing punch and clarity and the strings seem to be permanantly bright on that bass. I just love it and want to know, if this is what Ebony sounds like, does it have similar charatersitics to what I loosely described?

I played a custom guitar the other day with an ebony fretboard and it was beautiful and I now have real GAS for Ebony Jazz.[/quote]

Yes!

It was actually for sale a few months ago, but got next to no interest so I'm keeping it.

[quote name='Jimmyp28' post='1164284' date='Mar 16 2011, 12:08 PM']just wondering but what custom bass did you play?

I only ask because i saw that you where at the bass show, and had a go on a GB and if thats the case that bass you played with an ebony board might have been mine :)

I love ebony to me it feels like the black maple, its so smooth and you get a real mid growl with it.[/quote]

I wasnt actually at the show, just made enquiries about the GB basses that were there. The custom guitar I played was actually a Guitar, a custom built JJ Hucke and it was amazing. Very very jealous of you having a GB with Ebody board though.

So it seems the general consensus is that Ebody makes no difference really! Well it still looks and feels beautiful so I think I would still like a Ebody necked bass. Currently eyeing up the roasted neck, ebody board Ball Family Reserve Stingray!

[quote name='NJE' post='1166236' date='Mar 17 2011, 08:35 PM']I wasnt actually at the show, just made enquiries about the GB basses that were there. The custom guitar I played was actually a Guitar, a custom built JJ Hucke and it was amazing. Very very jealous of you having a GB with Ebody board though.

So it seems the general consensus is that Ebody makes no difference really! Well it still looks and feels beautiful so I think I would still like a Ebody necked bass. Currently eyeing up the roasted neck, ebody board Ball Family Reserve Stingray![/quote]

I would say go for one, i have played maple for years and the one day i played a mates les paul and was like this would rock on bass and that was that.

If you ever end up near eastbourne you more than welcome to give mine a go and see what you think.

Am picking her up sat wahooo happy days.

Hope this thread has helped you

I've got a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 that has an ebony fretboard. I added it as a custom order when I bought the bass because I wanted as much attack and brightness as possible for finger tapping. It does the trick! Looks great too with the maple body.

I've found ebony boards to be subject to the same vagaries as any other wood. In fact, I had a fretted ebony-board Patrick Eggle that had the maddening combo of bright-neutrality along with one grave-like deadspot.
I honestly do not think a fretted ebony-boarded neck has any instrinsic signature at all, the latter being the combined resonant result of a number of other woods used and other factors in the intrument's construction. Only my subjective experience, mind.

Ebony is my personal favourite (though I think some composites do a similar job).

I had a hankering to play something with ebony on it last weekend, took a look round our Pre-Owned section and ended up borrowing this. Every note at every fret was pure. Definitely the best Gibbo I've played and now I'm thinking I need more ebony basses in my own harem.