Why become a member? ×

Overwater 6'er £499

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought it and it arrived today, I'm still not sure if it's a genuine Overwater, it sounds just as good and plays just as well as other Overwater's I've played, and the fit and finish is pretty damn good too, although it's clearly worked for a living.

If it's not genuine, I don't care, I still love it :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1152310' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:46 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124482"]It's been discussed before[/url][/quote]

I was exchanging messages with the original seller who had it made by a guy at the Overwater factory. I bid £200, and someone won it for £220 I think, and he lives near me! Pretty gutted I missed out.

We were going to put the £300 bid in, but ran the risk of someone going for buy it now, so took the view that if it's not genuine, it's a good deal, if it is genuine, it's a bloody good deal. It certainly feels like an Overwater should do though!

So with Oldslapper's information in mind, and my own knowledge that it still feels like an Overwater, and is built like one too, what are the odds on it being a genuine Overwater Custom 6?

Cheers for that :) That was plan B come to think of it :)

I'll probably email him, means I can send some pics. Apparently it was bought from the Bass Place in Newcastle before it shut, but didn't Chris have something to do with them? :lol:

[quote name='goblin' post='1165204' date='Mar 17 2011, 12:15 AM']Cheers for that :) That was plan B come to think of it :)

I'll probably email him, means I can send some pics. Apparently it was bought from the Bass Place in Newcastle before it shut, but didn't Chris have something to do with them? :lol:[/quote]
Howard (Bass Doc)owned Bass Place in Newcastle.

That neck was made for a customer of mine by Jim Cairnes some years ago. The body shape would have been different and I'm assuming the Overwater connection would have involved making a custom body at a later time. The original body shape would have been as per the following picture as it was one of a series of about ten 6-string basses I produced in conjunction with Jim before my retirement form the Bass Place. About half of them carried the Tobias style headstock and the later ones as under:-

[attachment=74983:DCFC0410.JPG]

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1165329' date='Mar 17 2011, 07:43 AM']Whatever way you look at it, it's a nice bass...enjoy! :)[/quote]

Exactly :lol: It sounds amazing, looks amazing, feels amazing - win win situation really. Oh and it's lighter than my 4 string Warwicks :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1165608' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:50 AM']Howard (Bass Doc)owned Bass Place in Newcastle.[/quote]

Ah right, was Howard anything to do with OW?

Hi,

this bass was brought to our attention at overwater by a phone call from a customer a few days back. Its 8 years old so its before my time but ive spoke to the guys and they are pretty sure its not an overwater not even the body. the only thing that is genuine is the bridge. Although not to rule out completely check inside the control cavity and look for a serial number or any clue as to where it could have been made.

Cheers for clearing that up :) I'll have a closer delve, the first thing that made me suspicious is the control layout, and also the shape isn't quite the same as the Perception / Progress series, it's very similar but not identical. Either way I'll have a route around :)

Yeah will do :) I'll get various pictures of it :lol:

The original ebay ad (that the guy we bought it off had bought it off... if that makes sense) states that he bought it from your shop (the Bass Place) in Newcastle around 8 years ago as a second hand Overwater for £1100, and then went on to have a new neck fitted at a later date by Jim Cairnes (although he spelt it wrong) of Middlesborough. I'll presume he was a slightly careless owner or it was used a lot as even the replacement neck looks like the head's been clattered :)

I'll get some pictures of it asap though, probably tomorrow.