Why become a member? ×

Now't Wrong With Tribute Bands

lowdown

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1155497' date='Mar 9 2011, 04:00 PM']My biggest audiences have also been for original music but then I've only ever gigged original music. :lol:

Around 3000 at an event on a beach in New Jersey was our biggest audience. We were headlining.[/quote]

Mmm.

Not sure of the relevance of that really, unless we're getting into "my Dad's bigger than your Dad" territory!!?? :) :)

I was also reading a guest editorial in Jazztimes (US jazz magazine) by Vijay Iyer (pianist) and he made an interesting point about the profile of non-mainstream music (jazz in this case but it woudl apply to everything). He said 'its not about the [i]accessibility[/i] of new music but about [i]access[/i] to it'. You just don't get to hear it because its hidden. Those of you who aren't jazz fans, for instance, ask yourself when you last heard a jazz tune that was released this year. Bet it wasn't today, this week, this month or probably even this year. Same with folk, prog-rock etc etc. Its not there; anywhere.

Mind you, reverting back to another thread I started about classic rock LPs I have never heard - I have never heard a KISS album either :) although I did see them live once (post unmaksed and in daylight so minimal show)

interesting thread - I'm currently toying with the idea of joining a fairly successful tribute band who gig at least twice a week, every week all over the country and do small tours into Europe, the Middle East and even Singapore. The band they mimic is not something I'd particularly listen to these days but admittedly is part of my musical heritage. I've got an audition next week and I've got 18 songs to learn note for note by then with an additional 20 songs to learn if (when!) i get the gig. Actually quite good going back and revisiting some of the albums which I've not listened to for years and alot of the stuff is not as simple as you may imagine so it does take a certain amount of musical skill/experience to pull it off.

For years and years I did purely original music (and still do some) but if I can make a living, or at least a reasonable earner from this then I'll do it - plus, I'll get to travel and no doubt get up to all manner of rock n' roll shenanigans on the way while wearing ridiculous clothes!

One of my originals bands played a local festival last year where the headline act was Noasis - now i've never been a great Oasis fan but these boys totally nailed it both looks wise and sound wise and it turned into a really enjoyable/entertaining night and I was surprised by how many of their songs I actually knew and liked.

Personally I think theres plenty of room for both original and tribute bands as they often operate in a completely different marketplace anyway - either way, they have to be GOOD! There are so many average/rubbish bands about who think they are so much better than they are.

just my blah blah blah

peace

c

[quote name='cetera' post='1155472' date='Mar 9 2011, 03:44 PM']+1 to ^this.
If the original writer of a piece of music is the only person who can play it with feel or conviction then every other musician might as well not bother...[/quote]

At last!! We agree on something :):lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1154958' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:27 AM']why do these threads always go on for days and days? :)[/quote]
Because people keep going
"Tribute bands really suck."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
"No they don't."
"Yes they do."
Ad nauseum.

This thread has still got legs i see... :)

I have been thinking about this today and wanted to share our experience. I am doing this because it seems from previous posts that its neccessary to be in one camp on this argument - you are either for cover/tribute bands or against them. There is a 3rd way perhaps...

My main current band started as an originals band playing a genre that was never going to get a shed load of gigs locally. We decided to have an alter-ego cover band so that we could earn money to keep the pro players happy and also funnel a percentage back into the originals project.

4 years later we have the original members still playing and have reached (i think) a decent balance. We don't think less of the cover band gigs we do - we still put a lot of effort into them. We still put a lot of effort into writing and recording original material too.

Gigs - we do functions, corporate stuff, weddings, nightclubs with the cover band and earn good money without having to travel too far. For the original band we do support slots and a completely different circuit - normally for little or no money and travel a lot further.

The cover band has really helped us (IMHO) be a better originals band in many ways and kept everyone interested.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1155540' date='Mar 9 2011, 04:29 PM']This thread has still got legs i see... :)

I have been thinking about this today and wanted to share our experience. I am doing this because it seems from previous posts that its neccessary to be in one camp on this argument - you are either for cover/tribute bands or against them. There is a 3rd way perhaps...

My main current band started as an originals band playing a genre that was never going to get a shed load of gigs locally. We decided to have an alter-ego cover band so that we could earn money to keep the pro players happy and also funnel a percentage back into the originals project.

4 years later we have the original members still playing and have reached (i think) a decent balance. We don't think less of the cover band gigs we do - we still put a lot of effort into them. We still put a lot of effort into writing and recording original material too.

Gigs - we do functions, corporate stuff, weddings, nightclubs with the cover band and earn good money without having to travel too far. For the original band we do support slots and a completely different circuit - normally for little or no money and travel a lot further.

The cover band has really helped us (IMHO) be a better originals band in many ways and kept everyone interested.[/quote]

An excellent, well thought out post mate! :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1155540' date='Mar 9 2011, 04:29 PM']The cover band has really helped us (IMHO) be a better originals band in many ways and kept everyone interested.[/quote]

Typical. I'm having a perfectly good argument and then someone comes along and ruins it by being reasonable

:)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1155540' date='Mar 9 2011, 04:29 PM']This thread has still got legs i see... :)

The cover band has really helped us (IMHO) be a better originals band in many ways and kept everyone interested.[/quote]

Seems like a[b] very [/b]reasonable compromise to me.

Long may it continue to scratch all your itches! :)

I have similar experiences. Same members, different name, one originals band, one a Neil Young Tribute.

We've done covers for a wedding as a one off before, something I'd like to explore more in the future.

Gets to a point sometimes where as a band, we need to make some cash. Mostly to cover the costs of playing in our originals band. We don't all have similar jobs or wages, so it's a fair way to make it viable. And it's fun :)

It's just theatre, that may well also involve musical skill and appreciation to execute. Nowt wrong with that. There's little point making direct comparison with originals bands really, it's catering to a different market that just happens to overlap wrt venues etc. More generally originals bands have to compete with music from the past but that just means the onus is on them to write damn good material that offers something the old stuff doesn't while being accessible!

When I was involved in booking acts for student summer balls, we'd normally go for mostly originals acts, some jazz and one tribute - it seemed to offer something for the broadest section of the punters. It wasn't really about an originals act losing a slot to a tribute any more than an originals band losing out to, say, a cinema. What I will say is that when the originals acts were very good they got everybody up and dancing, regardless of preconceived ideas about what they wanted - Dennis Rollins and band were particularly notable (despite few people having heard of him beforehand), and he's touring with Maceo Parker now I see! Nice :) On the other hand some more famous acts were a real disappointment.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1155748' date='Mar 9 2011, 07:39 PM']Imagine playing in a Yes, Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, Toto, Beatles, Who, Zappa, Level 42, Rush, Steely Dan, Cream, Stevie Wonder, Led Zep, EWF, etc, etc, tribute and getting to play all those great bass parts?

What's wrong with that? :)[/quote]

Nothing,unless I had to dress up like them and pretend to be them.Covers is different to Tributes.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1155748' date='Mar 9 2011, 07:39 PM']Imagine playing in a Yes, Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, Toto, Beatles, Who, Zappa, Level 42, Rush, Steely Dan, Cream, Stevie Wonder, Led Zep, EWF, etc, etc, tribute and getting to play all those great bass parts?

What's wrong with that? :)[/quote]

Indeed!!

And I'd kill for the bass slot with this production:

[url="http://www.classicalbumslive.com"]Classic Albums Live[/url]

Hell of a commute though!! :D :) :lol:

[quote name='cetera' post='1155472' date='Mar 9 2011, 03:44 PM']+1 to ^this.
If the original writer of a piece of music is the only person who can play it with feel or conviction then every other musician might as well not bother...[/quote]

I didn't say that the only person who has that conviction can be the originator..I think everyone should approach playing like this.
Take a bit, steal a bit elsewhere and conjure up something that will enhance or complement the bands playing of the song.
But you have to be aware of what works in the context of your band playing it ...as opposed to getting your line right and everyone else is floundering...it isn't always going to work just because the gtr or whoever has his bit right...IMV.

It is quite possible that a cover/tribute band are trying to rip some pretty ropery playing from an original source..so I wouldn't advocate that either..AT ALL..!!

Edited by JTUK

Our singer sounds nothing like Donald Fagen. It gives a slightly different take on the songs.

Just thought I'd mention, a fair few people that have been to SD gigs have not been happy with the different arrangements of their classic songs: Reelin' In The Years being a prime example. But they wrote them, so they can mess with them, I suppose.