Why become a member? ×

Beginners

chilievans

There are a lots of very advanced and informative players on bass chat who are always willing to share their wisdom but how many beginners do we have?

Personally I've been bitten by the bug (again) in September after a 6 year break and I'm about to take my grade 4 exam (March 20th).
As I don't have a lot of spare time (always playing with my baby) I get up at 5am to play before I leave for work at 7.
I mostly play Chili Peppers as it fun interesting and a challenge.
My gear is listed in my signature
My goal is to teach bass

Is there any body else out there like me? Dont be shy

Edited by chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1143073' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:00 AM']I'm not alone :)[/quote]

I have been playing over 20 years (still badly) and had a lesson last week with Doddy, Doddy is having lessons off someone else and maybe they are having lessons off someone else too? One thing is for sure if someone tells you they know it all and have nothing left to learn there will be a whiff of BS in the air :)

I've been playing bass for 25 years off and on, and been in bands for most of that, have had some good paid gigs, and a lot of fun doing the just for expenses pub type stuff

Technically and theory wise, I am a beginner and wouldn't refer to myself as a musician (I only had one lesson with Jakesbass)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1143092' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:19 AM']I have been playing over 20 years (still badly) and had a lesson last week with Doddy, Doddy is having lessons off someone else and maybe they are having lessons off someone else too? One thing is for sure if someone tells you they know it all and have nothing left to learn there will be a whiff of BS in the air :)[/quote]

Big plus one.
There is always more to learn.....Always.
It doesn't matter if you've been playing weeks or years,music is so vast that you can study it for the rest of your life

For anyone starting out, id do it differently if I started over, I mean learning theory properly etc

But that does not take away from the fun and experiences, I and many others have, playing guitars, drums, keys etc at many levels without the theory background

i play with a single finger and in a single string, i do believe i need more practice then theory, but yes, theory is very important i believe

i only there was anyone in this island willing to at least guide me, i dont go as far as teach cause that is time consuming but at least set me in the right path...

living in an island just sucks at times...

I only started playing again last year after a little break of 17 years and before that i was doing it full time as a living touring and stuff but i have nothing on paper to say i can or cant play (well there was that hate mail from a deranged fan ) :)

The more we learn, the more there is to learn. The more human we become, the more humanity we can express, etc. etc. ...

Learning how to learn is the most important lesson. Then we need to figure out WHY we want to learn it and if that [b]want [/b]is a true reflection of our souls.

EDIT: I'm not a f***ing hippie or a new age twat, honest :)

Edited by silddx

Can I smell incense? It could be incest actually I live in a village! :)

Get over to our Bass clef YTS thread (in general bass chat) Chilievans you can see what we are on about here and how the experienced guys know nothing at all! For instance whats involved with a grade 4? I have no idea what level I would be but as (currently) I cant read I guess I couldnt even try?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1143688' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:04 PM']Get over to our Bass clef YTS thread (in general bass chat) Chilievans you can see what we are on about here and how the experienced guys know nothing at all! For instance whats involved with a grade 4? I have no idea what level I would be but as (currently) I cant read I guess I couldnt even try?[/quote]
Thanks Pete. Great little game that

I've been shuffling along without guidance for about 2 years now, I played 12 string guitar for 45 years before that and then our bass player moved away so it was me or my wife.

Right me it is then luv :)

I learned where the notes are on the fretboard and practised running from one to the other in a kind of 'I walk the line' way and progressed a little from there making sure I used most of the neck in the process. Being a church group there isn't anything too taxing. I do have a little trouble not looking at the neck while playing and missing the odd note, I can't look at my music at the same time. It's only very occassionally though.

I need help really, can't and don't want to read music at my age but I have a very good ear. :)

[quote name='tomb' post='1143412' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:28 PM']i play with a single finger and in a single string, i do believe i need more practice then theory, but yes, theory is very important i believe

i only there was anyone in this island willing to at least guide me, i dont go as far as teach cause that is time consuming but at least set me in the right path...

living in an island just sucks at times...[/quote]

Boas, inscreve-te no www.forumusica.com e no www.baixistas.com . Não há problema nenhum em estares numa ilha, quando eu comecei não havia internet nem toda esta informação disponivel à distância de um clique e não foi por isso que desisti. O importante é continuar a tentar até conseguir!

Translation: just some motivational words in his mother language. The links are for two music/bass foruns from my (and his) home country, hope there's nothing wrong in posting them here!

What do all the grades actually involve? Likewise I've no idea where I am on that scale. I decided I wanted to have a crack at bass back in summer 2009 as guitar just wasn't sticking at all. I bought one in June and didn't do much with it until October until I was watching Flight of the Conchords, heard a simple bassline and then snatched my bass up and tried to figure it out, which I did! Big pat on the back for me, and since then I've loved that rewarding aspect of working something out by ear. So overall been at it about a year an a half? Very much a beginner! :)