Why become a member? ×

Mark Ong

grahamd

Mark Ong gets props on here from time to time, but for anyone who hasn't seen his stuff, his melodic, fluid, lyrical style is just fantastic and he does the backing tracks too. He's posted a few new jams recently so thought I'd share

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicianMarkOng#p/u/2/UrM4ZBAqc6I"]http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicianMarkOn...u/2/UrM4ZBAqc6I[/url]

Mark was one of the first guys to ever use a 7-string over here in the UK in the 1990s - he was in NYJO for a while as well then he kind of disappeared - he's an amazing player with a great style and wonderful phrasing and tone! Looks like he's living in Denmark now - I hope he's out there working and earning a living from music, he's a lovely player for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='urb' post='1141158' date='Feb 25 2011, 03:07 PM']Mark was one of the first guys to ever use a 7-string over here in the UK in the 1990s - he was in NYJO for a while as well then he kind of disappeared - he's an amazing player with a great style and wonderful phrasing and tone! Looks like he's living in Denmark now - I hope he's out there working and earning a living from music, he's a lovely player for sure.[/quote]

You mean NYC?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1167567' date='Mar 18 2011, 07:46 PM']Great time too, thats the nicest thing about his playing for me he sits right in it, and really lovely ideas. Very melodic.
Great player.

Very Metheny influenced[/quote]

Yes, he solos without being obtrusive or unnecessarily
in your face, just in the pocket and very much part of the whole

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1300477147' post='1167555']
NYJO....National Youth Jazz Orchestra
[/quote]

Yes, he was in NYJO, I saw him a few times with them and the late Chris Dagley on drums. They did an amazing jazz funk track on an NYJO album called Maltese Cross, its worth finding! I saw them do it live and it blew me away! I was very young at the time and was more into funk back then (still am!) and it was just stunning.

BTW Mark Ong's youtube site has gone, great shame.