Why become a member? ×

Action

Bass-ic

Well what with Bristol being a Uni town, I understand that many of the clubs are pretty good on Friday & Saturday nights...

Ah. Not [i]that[/i] sort of action. Whoops, sorry. :)
You pretty much said it yourself... it's a personal thing. The default height is whatever feels best for you. Sorry if this is a bit vague! Your best bet is to take your bass to a friendly repair/service bod and get him to sort it out.

As low as possible without rattling? You'll get away with lower action if you have a gentle style, you'll need more if you play hard. No, there's no default - too many variables.

I'd say lower away at the bridge, check every so often by retuning and having a little play. You'll need more under the lower (pitched) strings as they're fatter and vibrate more. You'll know if you've gone too far. Check all the way up the fingerboard, low action may seem fine at the nut, but nearer the bridge you might run into problems if you've gone too far.

There are lots of guides out there, but in general I'd say you can't do much harm experimenting. Bridge adjustments (apart from acoustic saddles) are reversable if you get it wrong.

Lower the action, thinner the tone. Higher the action, better the tone. Also, lighter the strings, thinner the tone but the easier it is to play, heavier the strings better the tone but harder to play.

Its a complex little formula which you will be fiddling with for the next decade or so!! I would recommend you try a few basses at a shop that does repairs and see what feels ok for you.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='130055' date='Jan 29 2008, 03:10 PM']Lower the action, thinner the tone. Higher the action, better the tone. Also, lighter the strings, thinner the tone but the easier it is to play, heavier the strings better the tone but harder to play.[/quote]

To complicate things even more, years ago I read in a bass mag that fitting slightly heavier guage strings allows for a lower action without buzzing as they don't move as much as the lightest guages, therefore rattle less.

This definitely worked for me when I went from 40s to 45s on my Streamer Std, not sure what would happen with much heavier guages though.

[quote name='Doc B' post='130091' date='Jan 29 2008, 04:02 PM']To complicate things even more, years ago I read in a bass mag that fitting slightly heavier guage strings allows for a lower action without buzzing as they don't move as much as the lightest guages, therefore rattle less.

This definitely worked for me when I went from 40s to 45s on my Streamer Std, not sure what would happen with much heavier guages though.[/quote]

Even allowing for differences in string construction, materials, etc -- more of the same. Thicker strings = relatively higher tension (to produce the same note) = narrower oscillation = less clearance needed.

Even different makes of strings of the same gauge can affect action. Being a cheapskate i used to use Warwick Red Label. I've gone over to Roto swing bass now, and lowered my action significantly,despite being the same gauge - is this due to difering tension between the string makes?

[quote name='King Tut' post='130377' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:33 PM']Even different makes of strings of the same gauge can affect action. Being a cheapskate i used to use Warwick Red Label. I've gone over to Roto swing bass now, and lowered my action significantly,despite being the same gauge - is this due to difering tension between the string makes?[/quote]

I've used Roto's for years and tried other makes in between, seems to me that Roto's have a higher tension than most other makes, I get the same tension from D'addario EPS Prosteels but the G is a 50 instead of a 45 and the D is a 70 instead of a 65.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='130055' date='Jan 29 2008, 03:10 PM']Lower the action, thinner the tone. Higher the action, better the tone. Also, lighter the strings, thinner the tone but the easier it is to play, heavier the strings better the tone but harder to play.

Its a complex little formula which you will be fiddling with for the next decade or so!! I would recommend you try a few basses at a shop that does repairs and see what feels ok for you.[/quote]

+1

High action and Heavy guage is weight training.

I Like weight training.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='130055' date='Jan 29 2008, 03:10 PM']Lower the action, thinner the tone. Higher the action, better the tone. Also, lighter the strings, thinner the tone but the easier it is to play, heavier the strings better the tone but harder to play.

Its a complex little formula which you will be fiddling with for the next decade or so!! I would recommend you try a few basses at a shop that does repairs and see what feels ok for you.[/quote]

For me highest action possible, with the heaviest strings I can get away with, without impeding my playing too much.

[quote name='King Tut' post='130377' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:33 PM']Even different makes of strings of the same gauge can affect action. Being a cheapskate i used to use Warwick Red Label. I've gone over to Roto swing bass now, and lowered my action significantly,despite being the same gauge - is this due to difering tension between the string makes?[/quote]

Yes. Because the ROTOs are a much higher tension than most other makes, they will be able to pull the neck forward more (known as relief). This will give a higher action so you'll be able to lower the bridge to get it back to where you like it although strictly speaking you should make truss rod adjustments to reduce the relief first.

[quote name='jacko' post='131334' date='Jan 31 2008, 03:32 PM']Yes. Because the ROTOs are a much higher tension than most other makes, they will be able to pull the neck forward more (known as relief). This will give a higher action so you'll be able to lower the bridge to get it back to where you like it although strictly speaking you should make truss rod adjustments to reduce the relief first.[/quote]

on reflection, I've probably not answered the original question so, yes, a higher tension string will produce the same note in a narrower 'wave' (for want of a better description).

[quote name='ARGH' post='130487' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:11 AM']+1

High action and Heavy guage is weight training.

I Like weight training.[/quote]

I've just switched from 040-100 Red Labels to Roto 045-105 and I'm happier with the sound, and they do seem to buzz less on the 5string (after adjusting relief to compensate for greater tension).

It is hard work playing chords though. Does anyone use those spring thingies, hand exercisers, that rock climbers use? Any use?

[quote name='bremen' post='131363' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:06 PM']I've just switched from 040-100 Red Labels to Roto 045-105 and I'm happier with the sound, and they do seem to buzz less on the 5string (after adjusting relief to compensate for greater tension).

It is hard work playing chords though. Does anyone use those spring thingies, hand exercisers, that rock climbers use? Any use?[/quote]

i use one, or at least i used to, but it didnt do anything for my climbing!

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131365' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:08 PM']i use one, or at least i used to, but it didnt do anything for my climbing![/quote]

Did it do anything for your bass playing?

Just googled 'hand exerciser' and found something called the Blokemaster. No really! Apparently good for developing a manly handshake.

[quote name='Rich' post='130012' date='Jan 29 2008, 02:00 PM']Well what with Bristol being a Uni town, I understand that many of the clubs are pretty good on Friday & Saturday nights...

Ah. Not [i]that[/i] sort of action. Whoops, sorry. :)
You pretty much said it yourself... it's a personal thing. The default height is whatever feels best for you. Sorry if this is a bit vague! Your best bet is to take your bass to a friendly repair/service bod and get him to sort it out.[/quote]

Seek out the Welsh Wizard, Eltham Jones in the back of Sound Control in Bristol.
Tell him I sent you and he'll be gentle. Go along and play in front of him. He'll then have a very good idea of what kind of action you may feel comfortable with. He can also gove your bass a once over to make sure the nut and frets are all working with you and not against you.

I have very low action and very light strings. Works for me but I don't mind a bit of rattle.

[quote name='OldGit' post='131371' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:21 PM']Seek out the Welsh Wizard, Eltham Jones in the back of Sound Control in Bristol.
Tell him I sent you and he'll be gentle. Go along and play in front of him. He'll then have a very good idea of what kind of action you may feel comfortable with. He can also gove your bass a once over to make sure the nut and frets are all working with you and not against you.

I have very low action and very light strings. Works for me but I don't mind a bit of rattle.[/quote]

Ah, right many thanks for that. although i must say, the last time i was in SC I asked for some help and didnt get any! No one was inetersted in selling me a new bass thath i really cant play very well yet!
they probably work on commission were my thoughts, and i wasnt going to spend enough.

however, they are still very close to me and do have a wide selection..hmmmm

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131376' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:26 PM']Ah, right many thanks for that. although i must say, the last time i was in SC I asked for some help and didnt get any! No one was inetersted in selling me a new bass thath i really cant play very well yet!
they probably work on commission were my thoughts, and i wasnt going to spend enough.

however, they are still very close to me and do have a wide selection..hmmmm[/quote]

Sorry I should have explained, he deosn't work for Sound Control (though they do have a good bloke called Joe on basses in there. Seek him out for help next time)

Eltham just rents the space from them.

Call him first to book a slot and make sure he's there. Don't just leave it with the SC people. You need some hands on time with Eltham so he can sus what you need.
07971 240296

[quote name='Jase' post='131274' date='Jan 31 2008, 01:17 PM']I feel like a light weight with all this High action stuff going on :huh:[/quote]

You are not alone mate. My soft southern fingers like Elixirs and my weak typists hands like light strings ..
Works for me though :)

Cheers OG, I keep it pretty low with a lighter playing approach and more power/volume from my amp.

Freaked me out when I had my CIJ 62 the other week the vintage radius seems to give a higher action than the usual USA jazz radius. I've been tweaking the rod and making saddle adjustments for the last week or so :)

Being a cheapskate, I still use Warwick Reds 40-130 on my fives... got a nice low action with minimal buzz, but I think a lot of that is down to the fact that I don't play too hard these days (the ramp has sorted that out). I've got Elixir 45s on my Yam fretless and they feel broadly similar tension-wise.

[quote name='OldGit' post='131403' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:56 PM']You are not alone mate. My soft southern fingers like Elixirs and my weak typists hands like light strings ..[/quote]

Ahhh you big set of girls.... Get some .110s on and stop playing soft like!

Learn the TONE.

Edited by ARGH