Why become a member? ×

Markbass-old hat

lushuk

[quote name='Muzz' post='1129679' date='Feb 16 2011, 02:23 PM']Yep, I can completely see why there might be just too much on the thing for some - I'm a bit like that with basses - more than 1 pickup is pretty much wasted on me: it took me a loooong time to get on with my P/J setup. I could honestly live with a bass with one pickup and an on/off switch* - actually, I wouldn't need that, because the RH450 has a mute on its floorboard. :)

* As long as the sound was there, natch...[/quote]

Best not get me talking on the subject of single knob amp mounted compressors either (shudder)....

Edited by 51m0n

• 2 years later...

MB was the first up with a real light weight amp with 500W on Offer. Even though EA and Epi were in the mix for some years before their Amps were still a fair size and weight.

The market took a few years to catch up, Design, testing and getting CE rated etc. I would be an Aguilar 500 owner if they had got the European certs together sooner but it seemed to take them about 18 months.

Have owned my LMK for about 7 years now. And it is still my first choice for live and recording work due to its DI and quiet fan etc.

So I agree its just GAS

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1297871255' post='1129796']
Best not get me talking on the subject of single knob amp mounted compressors either (shudder)....
[/quote]

Thing is, for most people, a single knob compressor will do it... amp manufacturers know this - overloading the front end with another 5 or so knobs is too much for some people. A bank of EQ knobs will scare a lot of players alone.

Effectively, its a selling point of having a compressor present to put on the spec sheet. As for having a comprehensive compressor, anybody wanting uber control over compression will have a dedicated unit or let the guy at the desk control it all.

Even if a multi knob compressor was implemented on the amp by the amp manufacturer to appeal to the needs of the compressor freak, they would then have to deal with people saying that it doesn't live up to the quality of a dedicated unit.

I see it as a bit of a non win situation personally.

Having owned many of the micro's on the market I have gone the full circle and am back with Markbass, little Mark 800 is a really good combination of F1 speed and Lmiii warmth and way deeper than the Shuttle 9.2 with masses of headroom

I have been using the Markbass F500 for quite a while now. Lots of headroom, versatile, packs of EQ possibilities, really reliable, small, light and sounds great. Whats not to like (other than the colour :rolleyes: )? The only issue is these are no longer available. :( . Reckon they will be a future classic

Edited by leroydiamond