Why become a member? ×

Downstroke with fingers

norvegicusbass

Anyone out there who plays with their fingers but plays up and down strokes with them? I cant really play too well with a pick but when I am playing Down In The Sewer by The Stranglers ( with fingers!! ) I play the end section - the brief bass solo - with my index finger playing up and down strokes. This is the closest I can get to sounding like JJ without picking. Mind I dont sound too like him LOL.

Chuck Rainey has used that technique for years,where one finger plays up and down strokes. Bryan Beller uses a similar technique when he's playing with Dethklok,only he uses both fingers in unison. There's a really good video on YouTube of him demonstrating it.

I play down strokes with my index finger nail and sometimes even upstrokes with the thumb finger nail - probably because i am even more notorious in losing plectrums. Do whaterver gives you the sound you want dude!

Edited by janmaat

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1126078' date='Feb 13 2011, 04:14 PM']That'll teach me to skim through threads without reading the replies properly!! :)[/quote]

just imagine the number of possible combinations! so many strings and so many fingers

up and down

must be about ... well thats maths innit :)

Yep started with a pick 35 yrs ago moved to fingers few yrs later and have used the index finger as a pick on / off for many yrs. Not sure where or how I was influenced. Maybe just saved me having a pick to hand.
Have also used the thumb and finger technique.
As stated before anything that gets the job done and feels comfortable.

Dave
:)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1126163' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:32 PM']Geddy Lee's been doing this since what - 1974? :)

Jon.[/quote]

Yep Geddy Lee has a floating hand technique which is really impressive where he plays without resting a finger / hand or thumb against the bass as a referance point. Its become a lot more common these days but back in the day it was quite rare.

Your obviously a Rush fan to pick up on this.

Good call.

Dave
:)

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1126168' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:40 PM']Your obviously a Rush fan to pick up on this.[/quote]
I've been called worse! Funnily when I first heard Rush (about 1980) I assumed he was a pick player - it took until I actually saw them to suss that he wasn't!

I first noticed the one-finger thing when the Exit Stage Left vid was released - there's a brief slow motion clip focusing on his right hand clearly playing up/down strokes with the index finger. I'd guess his "flamenco bass" technique evolved from that.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1126179' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:49 PM']I've been called worse! Funnily when I first heard Rush (about 1980) I assumed he was a pick player - it took until I actually saw them to suss that he wasn't!

I first noticed the one-finger thing when the Exit Stage Left vid was released - there's a brief slow motion clip focusing on his right hand clearly playing up/down strokes with the index finger. I'd guess his "flamenco bass" technique evolved from that.

J.[/quote]

Yep first saw Rush circa 78 / 79 i think it was with the Farewell to Kings tour in Glasgow.
He was good then but just went on to dominate Rock bass playing.

You can tell I'm a huge fan - just wish I could play like him - LOL

Dave :)

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1126150' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:25 PM']You must be another skimmer see my first post[/quote]
You say you don't use a pick too well? In which case I'd say this is a great opportunity/reason to start getting to grips (puns intended!) with a pick. Worth persevering with as IMHO it's very difficult to replicate the pick sound playing in another fashion.

I occasionally do downstrokes with my finger, it's more of a flicking motion with the nail.

Just an FIY: don't cut your nails too short, it's suprising just how much it hurts when you've got a bit of nail bed exposed when trying to do a downstroke like that.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1126727' date='Feb 14 2011, 09:48 AM']I hold my fingers as though holding a plectrum and then play exactly the same as using a pick, but using my nails.
Cos I'm 'ard.[/quote]

Bernard Edwards called this technique 'chucking'. It's really handy for things like the intro to 'Everybody Dance'. There are probably other threads about it on the site.