Why become a member? ×

FS/FT MTD Kingston Heir 5

Gust0o

Quick edit: am more than happy to post!

Thinking back to the parody sales threads, I'm trying to avoid the old cliches :)

To put it simply, I'm not playing this one. It's a very fine bass, and frankly wasted on a luddite like myself.

I'm going to borrow some old pics, whilst I arrange for some new ones - but this is it, my MTD Kingston Heir 5:

Manufacturer specs can be found here:

[url="http://www.mtdkingston.com/basses/heir.htm"]http://www.mtdkingston.com/basses/heir.htm[/url]

Over and above those specs, previous owner BassBunny had a Bartolini pre-amp installed. It's the Bart 5.4 AP pre-amp and was set-up and installed by Steve Robinson of Sale, who also installed a flip-up battery cover at the rear. Quoting directly from BassBunny: "Mike Tobias recommended the pre and it is amazing. Usual controls, Vol/Bal/Bass/Middle/Treble and a push/pull on the Volume for Active/Passive. It also has a 3 position toggle that changes the "Mid" frequencies."

There is a small ding in the headstock, and some scratching to the lower rear (matron), but otherwise in fine condition.

It's a light bass, which was my main attraction. I was playing 5-string and had just slipped my disc, so finding this came as a great relief - literally! It's
got great access to the fretboard, which meant fewer contortions whilst playing - in fact, the neck tapers as you move up the notes, which is a blessing; whilst the 35" scale and zero-fret help keep things tight and tidy.

Asking for £350 cash outright - trades are more flexible. I'd like a decent Precision or Jazz ideally, 4-string prefered (if it's another five, I'd be looking for a Jazz). However, I am willing to listen to trade offers - including cash either way, if the values don't balance neatly.

I'll grab some additional pictures this evening, but am happy to take requests :)

Based in North Yorks. Collection prefered, and I do a mean cuppa for those wishing to try :lol:

Edited by Gust0o

Great basses these - I had 2 of them a few years back! Most amazing thing was finding out that, if you had a question about the bass and contact Tobias, Mike Tobias would email back personally!!

They play superbly, are a very comfortable weight IIRC, the necks are very comfortable..and the low B strings sound really good (well my 2 did).. So to be honest, I'm surprised it's not gone already, especially with the upgraded electronics!

Good luck with the sale.

Mike Tobias had a hand in selecting the pre-amp for this one, so you can't say better - the man himself getting on the line to Bass Bunny to tell him what he thought was the best :)

The B is very tight, to the point where I thought of joining in that Dingwalls-do-it-better debate - as I've not seen any better than this. The zero-fret keeps it tight, and I've had another set of Elixirs on it since picking it up.

The weight is a good point, as it's a very light base by my standards. I swapped out my previous five for this when I damaged my back, and the primary attraction was the blessed relief of finally having a lightweight five!

I've had some nibbles, but I suspect many people are waiting for other items to sell to free up cash.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1122504' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:24 PM']Yeah, you could do me your Sandberg Cali PM in a straight swap! :)

The PM's are lush. My ultimate trade hankering was for a Fender Precision, of some type.[/quote]

Haha! Not a chance :) I've only just gotten my hands on the Sandy after hankering for one for ages and now I'm in love, so she's going nowhere any time soon; truly splendid basses - I plan on getting a few more Sandbergs... a Ken Taylor and a Custom Supreme would do it.

What about a trade for Warwick Corvette $$? (don't worry, I think I know the answer to that already :lol:)

I'll have to add Sandberg to my list, certainly one I hear good things about.

I'm afraid I'm going to be a little specific on my trades. Cash-wise, I'm only going to sell this to buy a Precision or Jazz, so I guess my mind's a little made up - unless someone has something they know I can't say no to, like a BC Rich Eagle. I love those like Garfield loves lasagne.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1122569' date='Feb 10 2011, 01:21 PM']I'll have to add Sandberg to my list, certainly one I hear good things about.

I'm afraid I'm going to be a little specific on my trades. Cash-wise, I'm only going to sell this to buy a Precision or Jazz, so I guess my mind's a little made up - unless someone has something they know I can't say no to, like a BC Rich Eagle. I love those like Garfield loves lasagne.[/quote]

Hehe, yeah you should give the Sandbergs a go; I thought they'd be nice before I got one, but now I have one It's cemented my view of Sandbergs well and truly - consider them my lasagne :) Anyway, best of luck with the sale - if you still have this in 2 weeks, I just might be buying.

I have one of these. I always pipe up when they come up for sale. It is hands down the most comfortable bass I have owned. It is light. The MTD neck is asymetric and totally lush. With the powerful EQ on board there is nothing that would touch this bass for another £500 franlky. These basses are totally bargainous. No. Really.

[quote name='owen' post='1125079' date='Feb 12 2011, 04:10 PM']I have one of these. I always pipe up when they come up for sale. It is hands down the most comfortable bass I have owned. It is light. The MTD neck is asymetric and totally lush. With the powerful EQ on board there is nothing that would touch this bass for another £500 franlky. These basses are totally bargainous. No. Really.[/quote]

Haha, don't talk me into keeping it, Owen! :)

The consensus seems to be that this is a bargain; but, equally, that no one has any money. Bad timing, eh?