Why become a member? ×

Fattening up my passive jazz bass tone

Gunsfreddy2003

Beginning to feel a little confused with this one!

I need to fatten up my jazz bass tone (it is a passive 1974) and I have had so much conflicting advice and opinion that I don't really know which way to go now. Initially I was going to change the p/ups to Nordsrtand or Aguilar but I think opinion is pretty much weighted against that from some pretty well respected guitar builders in the business. So that leaves me with two other options:

1/ Go for an East Retro preamp on board which will give the bass an active circuit and open up a lot of tonal capacity (but perhaps maybe too much?)

2/ Try an outboard pre-amp and the three most suggested options seem to be the Sadowsky, EBS Microbass II or Aguilar Tone Hammer

I like the idea of the Sadowsky option being very simple but then wonder if I am missing something as some say that it is very lacking compared to the Tone Hammer. The Aguilar option looks ok but I was not hugely impressed with the AG500 head and wonder if it is just the same thing as that but in a pedal!!

I have no experience of the EBS Microbass so not sure if that would be overkill? It looks horribly complicated!

In essence I would like a pretty straightforward option that gives my jazz the sound of Julian Crampton or Randy Hope-Taylor!

Come on guys give me some help here.

If you want J bass but bigger I'd go outboard preamp, with your existing bass.

I've not used all the options, but have had success with the Aguilar DB924 (outboard, but same circuit as OPB1) and Sansamp Bass Driver.

The Aguilar is very similar to the Sadowsky (both based on the early Musicman circuit?) and adds "weight" to the sound without really making it sound active. It will do the full Marcus sizzle and thump if you crank the bass and treble. But keep the treble down and its just a warmer bigger sounding version of your bass. It doesn't add gain though, so I find it works best with full gain on a J bass. It can be subtle or a sizzly sledgehammer...depends what you like.

I've got the Sadowsky circuit in my Sadowsky PJ bass, and I'd say its very similar..but a touch brighter/more active sounding than the Aguilar?

The Sansamp is well known here, but I can make a jbass through a clean amp sound a bit bigger/warmer - the key is the blend control and not cranking the eq much beyond 1 o'clock. It doesn't do the Marcus type sizzle - more warmth and thump.

I also borrowed a copy of the "catalinbread SFT" pedal (Ampeg style preamp) and enjoyed the warmed-up tone it gave Jbasses.

Many thanks for your advice and thoughts - was the Aguilar DB924 replaced by the Tone Hammer? Can you still buy the 924?

[quote name='BassBod' post='1116404' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:10 PM']If you want J bass but bigger I'd go outboard preamp, with your existing bass.

I've not used all the options, but have had success with the Aguilar DB924 (outboard, but same circuit as OPB1) and Sansamp Bass Driver.

The Aguilar is very similar to the Sadowsky (both based on the early Musicman circuit?) and adds "weight" to the sound without really making it sound active. It will do the full Marcus sizzle and thump if you crank the bass and treble. But keep the treble down and its just a warmer bigger sounding version of your bass. It doesn't add gain though, so I find it works best with full gain on a J bass. It can be subtle or a sizzly sledgehammer...depends what you like.

I've got the Sadowsky circuit in my Sadowsky PJ bass, and I'd say its very similar..but a touch brighter/more active sounding than the Aguilar?

The Sansamp is well known here, but I can make a jbass through a clean amp sound a bit bigger/warmer - the key is the blend control and not cranking the eq much beyond 1 o'clock. It doesn't do the Marcus type sizzle - more warmth and thump.

I also borrowed a copy of the "catalinbread SFT" pedal (Ampeg style preamp) and enjoyed the warmed-up tone it gave Jbasses.[/quote]

Mark, have you tired a BDDI yet? As per my Sadowsky thread i felt the Sad did what its supposed to, but i wanted a bit more so im sticking with the BDDI.
If you want to try the BDDI tone i have a Behringer BDI21 lying around that your welcome to borrow for a few weeks. Its almost identical sounding to the real deal (IMO of course).

No - never tried the Sansamp stuff - TBH I always thought that it was used for overdriven sounds and therefore of much more use to the rock/metal fraternity. Can you get a useful tone from it for slap and fingerstyle funk?

Could well be interested in trying the BDI21 but really struggling to believe that Behringer kit can rival the expensive stuff!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1116489' date='Feb 5 2011, 01:21 PM']Mark, have you tired a BDDI yet? As per my Sadowsky thread i felt the Sad did what its supposed to, but i wanted a bit more so im sticking with the BDDI.
If you want to try the BDDI tone i have a Behringer BDI21 lying around that your welcome to borrow for a few weeks. Its almost identical sounding to the real deal (IMO of course).[/quote]

I know what you mean. I always thought it was just to get that Ampeg/tube tone but you can in fact turn the blend all the way off and that leaves you with just the low and high tone knobs, active tone control.
I play all types of music and it relaly does work well. motown, a lot of 60's and some of the more modern Lillers etc.
Its main draw back, for some, is the lack of mid control. Personally i like that as it helps tame the mids from my 1212L cab, but you do need ot be carefull with the low knob, its very powerful. I think it does a very good slap tone.

The BDI21 has a very good rep. Its not as well built as the BDDI, and it does sound a bit more digital (i actually like that) but its a nice, cheap box.
I had a Tech21 VTbass last year but that was a bit over the top and definitly more for grit/distortion.

Have a think and PM me if you do want to try it.

Edited by dave_bass5

Love the Sadowsky outboard on my VMJ (stock pups) and bb400.

Lately i switched over to a DHA DI/EQ and nice though that is, and I need it for my upright, after a couple of gigs I've gone back to the Sad.

It's hard to define the effect, it's more than just warmth, and it's not colour in the usual sense. A richer sound, altogether classier.

Darn. Another piece of kit i can't bring myself to sell. :)

Ok so I now have people all saying good things about East preamps, Tone Hammer, Sansamp BDDI, Sadwosky preamp and the Aguilar 924. Can anyone come up with a sensible suggestion as to which one to go for? Can't try them all!!

[quote name='fatback' post='1117181' date='Feb 5 2011, 11:06 PM']Love the Sadowsky outboard on my VMJ (stock pups) and bb400.

Lately i switched over to a DHA DI/EQ and nice though that is, and I need it for my upright, after a couple of gigs I've gone back to the Sad.

It's hard to define the effect, it's more than just warmth, and it's not colour in the usual sense. A richer sound, altogether classier.

Darn. Another piece of kit i can't bring myself to sell. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1117560' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:39 PM']Ok so I now have people all saying good things about East preamps, Tone Hammer, Sansamp BDDI, Sadwosky preamp and the Aguilar 924. Can anyone come up with a sensible suggestion as to which one to go for? Can't try them all!![/quote]
I have a John East U-Retro in another bass and it's immensely versatile. I love it.

I bought a Jazz yesterday, it's sounds fantastic, really snarly and growly, but it does lack that low end power that my active Warwicks had. I am seriously considering a J-Retro now.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1117560' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:39 PM']Ok so I now have people all saying good things about East preamps, Tone Hammer, Sansamp BDDI, Sadwosky preamp and the Aguilar 924. Can anyone come up with a sensible suggestion as to which one to go for? Can't try them all!![/quote]

I use East pres in Jazz basses and they keep it simple. Once it is installed you retain the option of passive should you need it, but you don't have any effects link faff.

From a pre POV, they make my Tone Hammer redundant but you can still screw the tone if you use the extreme settings.
Used pretty frugally, the East pre is a great boost/enhancer/tone shaper, and the mid sweep leaves you room to tweak things that..maybe.. a Sadowsky pre pedal wouldn't.

Both use bass boost only, have 12bd +- on the treble, IIRC, but the East has a presence pull, which is not really useable for me, and the varable mid sweep.
I'd say this shades it. I prefer usng the East rather than the TH, and don't think I would need the Sadowsky.

All should be very useful peices of kit used well tho, IMV

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1117560' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:39 PM']Can anyone come up with a sensible suggestion as to which one to go for?[/quote]

Not really, i reckon they are all good. Not that i know that for sure though. I did have a programable sansamp, which was pretty good i guess, but only for getting a dirtier sound IMO. Good at it nonetheless.

But, as they are all so good, i would opt for the practicality of the J-retro. It can be adjusted to your liking mid song, no bending down and feeling pressured to get your sound to your liking within 5 seconds. For this reason, the onboard wins hands down.

[quote name='silddx' post='1117571' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:47 PM']I have a John East U-Retro in another bass and it's immensely versatile. I love it.

I bought a Jazz yesterday, it's sounds fantastic, really snarly and growly, but it does lack that low end power that my active Warwicks had. I am seriously considering a J-Retro now.[/quote]

do it do it do it do it.

there, not very articulate but my message is clear :)

I haven't tried all the options presented here, but I'll tell you why I would go for the J-Retro in your situation:

1) I know it sounds great

2) It is the only one with a mid frequency sweep, and this is tremendously useful. It has a pretty wide sweep. So when I decide I want to "add" something, I just turn the mid knob up a bit and scan with the mid-sweep until I find the sound I want. If I want to reduce an annoying frequency, I do the converse.

3) You can turn off the preamp entirely and have your passive sound, if you wish (you will lose the tone controls then, 'though). If your battery dies and you did not pay attention to the signs (it doesn't die suddenly, you'll have enough warnings!), flip it to passive and keep playing.

4) Installation is a 5 min job. Solderless. Easily reversible. It does not require you alter your bass, as the preamp and battery fit inside the control cavity. So just keep the original plate when you remove it, and if you decide to restore it, it'll be extremely simple.

I am thinking that the Sadowsky seems like the easiest option here - I like the demo's of the Aguilar Tone Hammer on the web but feel that the excess features such as mids and overdrive are over the top for my needs.

Do you use a power supply with the Sadowsky unit or batteries and if so how long do they last for?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1117783' date='Feb 6 2011, 03:47 PM']I really dig the Sadowsky outboard preamp with my Jazz.
It's just bass and treble boost,but it adds a lot of balls to the sound of the bass,and makes it more versatile tonally.It's bypassable aswell and is a good DI.[/quote]

[quote name='Doddy' post='1117783' date='Feb 7 2011, 04:47 AM']I really dig the Sadowsky outboard preamp with my Jazz.
It's just bass and treble boost,but it adds a lot of balls to the sound of the bass,and makes it more versatile tonally.It's bypassable aswell and is a good DI.[/quote]

this pretty much.
the Sad pre-amp don't do a hell of a lot but it does is made for the Fender Jazz
would not gig without mine
good with fretless Jazz too actually

HAVE A GO