Why become a member? ×

REM's Mike Mills

iconic

[quote name='JTUK' post='1114196' date='Feb 3 2011, 05:45 PM']hmmm..... not sure I have heard anything of the sort to back this up... whatsoever.

but hey ho..you like him, that is fair enough.[/quote]
Yes I'm biased, but like I said, they're my favourite band. I base my views on the info from the many biographies about the band that he grew up listening to classical music and jazz, played a few different instruments in his high school's marching band before he and Bill Berry played in various bands for years before they met Peter Buck and Michael Stipe in Athens at university. Oh, and I think the fact he's played accordian, piano, keyboards and guitar on his many records counts for something.

So I've probably stretched facts a bit. Sorry about that.

Mike Mills still rules!

Edited by indiegrungesound

I always mention Mike Mills when threads ask for favourites, underrateds, most influential. Mills is a musician of enormous talent and [i]is[/i]REM. His basslines and harmony vocals make every song what it is. He's a fabulous songwriter and a master of tone. When writing original material I use the WWDDD theory but substitute MM and of course the aforementioned Mr Ament.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Pearl Jam and Jeff A's playing but Mike Mills is my favourite bassist, he's much more than "just a bass player", the man is ubercool.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1114375' date='Feb 3 2011, 07:37 PM']I have to confess that though he may not appear the most technical or chop-driven bassist; if I had to, I'd sooner spend an extended period listening to MM (Mike Mills) than the other MM... or many of the other 'clever' bassists! :)[/quote]

Agreed.
Also, love his voice on this track, although he doesn't sound like i thought he would sound, if that makes sense.