Why become a member? ×

Black nylon Rotosound strings - Sue Ryder P-bass

mcnach

I'm waiting for one of these Sue Ryder basses (and I don't even like P-basses!)
The idea for me is to put flats and possibly a foam mute at the bridge. On teh Sue Ryder trhead I saw I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines (oh, how original am I! :)) and several mentioned the Rotosound black nylons. I have never tried these strings and look interesting... I was just wondering if anybody knows what length works when fitting from teh top of the bridge, as opposed as stringthrough (if it matters, I suspect it will, for the E and teh G strings).
And also about the gauge... I see the standard is 65-115, which sounds quite heavy... yet teh blurb talks about "low tension".
So what gauges do people favour here?
I tend to use 45-100/105 roundwounds on my 4-string basses.

I fitted some to a fretless Squier jazz I had for a while - long scale, standard guage. They feel 'odd' - a bit like someone had strung the bass with black worms. Sounded great though, really thuddy and woody, almost like a double bass.

They're not my favourite nylons but they are nice and not too pricey.

They are thick due to the nylon coating but not especially high tension, the thickness may be a problem on the SR basses as they're string through and the bridge may not accomodate them. Also the ferrules on those basses might be too small (i think someone has already had this problem) - they're easily replaced though.

I had to modify my acoustic bass at the bridge to accept these strings - it's a problem common with most nylon coated strings though.

EDIT: Another thing - you may need to modify the nut slots for these strings. I just bought another nut to use with them as they're cheap enough.

Edited by lemmywinks

I have used the Fender Black Nylons (9120 if i'm not mistaken) in my Acoustic bass. They're great, nice feel and nice warm sound. Not very EUB but it's a fretted bass with very harsh highs and mids - it's a Ibanez AEB10 - but i like the sound. They're dirty cheap too :)

Edit: The rotosound strings seem very nice to use in a old 5'er i'm thinking on defretting. The last time i've checked Fender only did 4-string sets...
And another thing i didn't mentioned, the tension on the fender is OK! The strings aren't loose, in fact i had to lower the action a bit on that bass due to the tension and it had phosphor bronzes before i shifted :)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='mcnach' post='1112127' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:53 AM']... Rotosound black nylons ... I see the standard is 65-115, which sounds quite heavy...[/quote]
Rotosound black nylons only come in one size/guage. They are relatively low tension.

Other black nylons are:

La Bella - my favourites
Pyramids
GHS
Fender

Edited by EssentialTension

I have them on my old Mighty Mite P/J and they sound retro as hell with a big fat bottom end. If you use a mute they sound even better. I did try them playing live at high volume and they kinda disappeared in the mix but at quieter volumes and recorded they give a really fantastic sound and although they are a very heavy gauge they are also very low tension so are easy to play (the choice of Paul McCartney in the 60's and of Herbie Flowers who still uses them).

Totaly recommend them! They are on my fender kingman acoustic and have a fab thumpy DB sound. The only thing youll have to do is file out the nut on your ryder. I took a look at mine and theres no way a set of tape wounds at 65 - 115 is going to fit in those slots!!

A