Why become a member? ×

Kingbasses, is it just me?

GreeneKing

This post may be seen as controversial but it's not meant that way, just honest and open.

I see Kingbasses moving around and quite often BCers are placing a wanted ad for them. I do wonder if they have actually had a go on one?

I had a 5er and basically couldn't play it. I bought it without trying it (I know) and it was brilliantly made etc and a good deal but, the small body meant that the sharp end of the neck was too far away and it had neck dive too, like an Epi Thunderbird on Steroids (the neck being to the left and the imbalence).

The guy I sold it to, a more experienced bassist than myself who was 'mad for it' (yes he did try it as I delivered it) sold it on two weeks later for the same reasons I parted with it.

Is it just me? Or perhaps we're not meant to share these things for fear of upsetting someone?

This isn't meant to diss Status or put people off Kingbasses but just to highlight the fact that I believe you need to try before you buy. I mean they do suit some people and MK himself isn't particularly tall/long armed etc.

A great sound, well made and beautiful too but certainly not for me.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Interesting points Peter. I've never though endorsement deals were worth anything, and stars getting gear for free that we all have to pay for winds me up, but now I am not so sure. Personally I would never buy X because someone famous uses it, but it seems plenty do.

Maybe Bernie should have given Mark King the free Rumour basses he wanted.

The KingBass is an acquired taste, that's for sure!

I actually liked the offset feeling & the shorter 32" scale was very easy to get along with. I only sold mine to Ian, as I made the mistake of ordering it as a 5-stringer. Yes, it was possibly the fastest 5-stringer on the planet, but it was useless for fast slap, as the graphite neck picked up every resonance & caused the B-string to boom when it wasn't even being played. (Or perhaps that was because I always had the treble & bass frequencies on the bass' eq turned right up? :)

The instrument has a very distinctive sound as well - Obviously it has the traditional Status Growl, but it's a little more hifi & sweeter than the others. My new S2 sounds very different with a much deeper growl to it, even though it has the same electronics, but a normal 34-inch scale with no bendwell.

I never felt the neck dive mentioned above, and am really looking forward to my new one next month. (An exact copy of my old Walnut one, but with 4 strings this time!)

[quote]I never felt the neck dive mentioned above[/quote]

The real issue for me was how far the neck extended left away from my body(I'm right handed).

I'm actually remembering the detail from over a year ago, maybe two so I could actually be wrong about the neck dive (I'm getting on and my memories not what it used to be :) ). The difficulty I had was that in fretting that far away from my body, my elbow was almost straight and that effected my wrist. I'm 5' 10" so no shorty either.

I have to say that being an avid Kingbass user I can understand all the points above..... yes I am a Level 42 fan but that was not the reason for purchasing Kingbasses as my weapon of choice.

I had previously been using Thumb basses exclusively... my fave was a 5 string through-neck.... My main reason for choosing Status was the weight factor in as much that they weigh very little in comparison with other basses. .... and that helped a lot with the back pain i was feeling after a 3 hour gig.

During my transition between Thumbs and KB's.... I was using a Status S2 Classic 5 string. This was an absolutely fantastic bass..... but the shape was not right for me.... the top horn was just in the way. So I tried the Kingbass as the smaller body shape was more in line with the Warwicks I had been using...... and the rest is history!

I was a bit dubious about owning a Kingbass because of the fact it is an 'Artist' product and I got the feeling that I would turn up at gigs and people say... 'oh look... he want's to be mark king'.... but thats not the case, most people don't really seem interested.... apart from my when I use the LED's on the Black Beauty! ;0)

As for the reach on the kingbasses, i've not had any problems and its very comfortable to play. I have no neck diving..... quite the opposite in fact... I find I tend to push the neck down and away from me more and more.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='126765' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:30 AM']The real issue for me was how far the neck extended left away from my body(I'm right handed).

I'm actually remembering the detail from over a year ago, maybe two so I could actually be wrong about the neck dive (I'm getting on and my memories not what it used to be :) ). The difficulty I had was that in fretting that far away from my body, my elbow was almost straight and that effected my wrist. I'm 5' 10" so no shorty either.[/quote]

Yes, I had that problem with the shorter body causing the angle away from the body (especially when you're not supermodel thin, like me!)

I'm having a Shuker custom made, and one of the influences is the King bass. So It's 32" with a bend well and LED's.

I've played them at the Bashes, and find the body a bit uncomfortable, and IMO they don't look good played low in a rock style - but I am aware that's not what they are about. Like the necks though.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='126732' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:37 AM']This post may be seen as controversial but it's not meant that way, just honest and open.

I had a 5er and basically couldn't play it. I bought it without trying it (I know) and it was brilliantly made etc and a good deal

Peter[/quote]
That was a good deal I gave you if I remember Peter, I remember you selling it on fairly quickly, cant remember who to..

I love mine and it my main Bass, I not a L42 fan and didnt get the bass because it was a bass designed by MK. I wasnt getting on with the traditional s2 shape status , and had a tried a KB and loved it .

What i have found is you need to let the bass sit with the neck pointing away from you body at about 40Deg, the bass was designed to be tucked in under your armpit how MK plays

[quote name='G-77' post='126928' date='Jan 24 2008, 02:23 PM']I love mine and it my main Bass, I not a L42 fan and didnt get the bass because it was a bass designed by MK. I wasnt getting on with the traditional s2 shape status , and had a tried a KB and loved it .

What i have found is you need to let the bass sit with the neck pointing away from you body at about 40Deg, the bass was designed to be tucked in under your armpit how MK plays

[/quote]

I also very much like G-77's bass... and this time I have planned my escape route with it at the bass bash lol...

I think the kingbass is a bit 'marmite'. Having never played 'mark king' style slap before, it was odd how my technique changed as soon as i tucked the bass under my arm. A good example of this is in the bass bash video. I am usually a thumb down player, but found myself going 'thumb up', as it was more comfortable.

[quote name='Waldo' post='126780' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:47 AM']I think if have the bass right under your chin like Mark King does, that'll sort the neck dive out :)[/quote]

I'm guessing you haven't seen Mark play recently..

[url="http://www.forevernow.com/gallery/circustavern/ijustloveithere.jpg"]http://www.forevernow.com/gallery/circusta...tloveithere.jpg[/url]

I have got to say my kingbass 5 artist is one of the best 5 string basses i have ever owned .and to be honest i dont even know why im advertising it .Infact im gonna remove it right now. :) of the for sale section. Ill just buy myself a 4 string bass as well.thats my problem i always sell something to buy a new one :huh: .now time to build the collection.king bass 5 gets the thumbs up ;) great slap bass never had any problems.

I sold my Kingbass only because it was a 4 string when I wanted a 5. I much prefer the shape of the S2 classic anyway, I pick up a new S2 headless 6er from Status tomorrow.
My Kingbass was also beautifully balanced as well, and the build quality was second to none.

I had one and sold it on after about a year.
Fantastic build quality ,second to none professional bass BUT......

I just couldn't get along with it,loads of bottom,mids and highs but TOO hifi for my liking.

Now i just use my fretless Status energy and my fretted Warwick 88 streamer ! :)

Has anyone tried a fretless kingbass? Dont know how that would work!

Well, I have a KB (4-string), and like everything there's good and bad:

- Yes it does neck dive, and I am sure a 5-string would be even worse with its wider neck. But it was designed to slap and gives no problems tucked in under your elbow
- Its sound is a bit thin, but GreeneKing may be interested to hear I can imitate a Rickenbacker on it when playing Yes stuff with some judicious use of eq and compression

I arrived at the choice after trying various Fenders, MusicMans, Warwicks etc. - Alex at the Bass Gallery in Camden suggested that it would better suit what he had heard me playing (admittedly some L42 in there). It was a revelation to feel the lightness and super-fast low action and I was sold straight away.

However, after a while trying to use it for every sort of music from funk to metal, I have found it lacking real growl, so I also have a Status S2 5-string fretless, and therefore the best of both worlds.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='127059' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:50 PM']the one thing we all agree on seems to be the lack of bottom end?

it's in progress, there's a thread in the build section :)[/quote]

I really have to disagree about the lack of bottom end...... I really can't see why some people say that?

[quote name='crez5150' post='127080' date='Jan 24 2008, 05:04 PM']I really have to disagree about the lack of bottom end...... I really can't see why some people say that?[/quote]

Me neither, mine had loads. I suppose it will depend on what cabs you play through.