Why become a member? ×

My Basses Since 2005

dub_junkie

These are the basses I've owned since 2005. Mostly Musicman & G&L, though I did dabble with some other brands for a bit. I have been mostly GAS free with what I have now for the last 18 months.

Stingray 2EQ (bought from Mcormacks in Glasgow and I owned it 6 years. I swapped out the maple neck for a status graphite and then sold the bass to pay MOT costs. It was advertised on BC again just a few months back,this time with a rosewood board)

G&L Tribute L2000 & L-1500 (MIK Tribute bought from jezzaboy and L1500 from stingray fan. I sold on both but ended up with the L1500 again and I still have it to this day)

SUB (bought off a guy in Glasgow and sold onto ebay - really great bass for under 300 notes at the time)

2 x Sterlings (white sparkle Sterling went to wavydavy in a deal for the Valenti and the CAR one went to eubassix - both were stunning basses and I miss them both - I much prefer the necks and flexibility of these basses to a Stingray)

Bongo 4HS (imported by me from the States. Power of ten now has this on the emerald isle. Loved what it could do but i just couldn't get on with the looks at the time and white just made it seem worse imo. Saying that though,I'd probably love it now :) )

G&L Asats (gold asat from Geddy's nose and I kept this a while and sold onto thebeat/semi hollow I got from power of ten and went to tonyf - both were lovely - I used the gold solid body in an INXS Tribute band and the semi hollow in a function band around the same time)

Godlyke Disciple 5 (got this one from eubassix. really underrated bass,great EQ and tightness to the sound. workmanship was pretty flawless)

Godlyke Deity fretless (beautiful fretless, set neck and light as a feather with a great range of tones. even better than the disciple 5. I just didn't have the chops to do it justice)

Bolin NS5 & Valenti #042 (got from owen and traded back with owen as he missed it - really lovely piezo tone from this bass which sounded lush mixed with the EMG/ The Valenti went in a deal for the 3TS Stingray below. This bass is one of the true basschat whores - I had it for around 15 months and it was a real top flight super jazz imo)

Spector NSCR5FM (i owned this for a while and it was a gorgeous 5 string. Crazykiwi now has this and he's improved it by all accounts. CK got it via john kemo who I did a deal with for the bongo 4HH below as I was getting pangs for one of those again

Spector Euro 5 (bought new and sold to the donutman - another great example of the Czech made Spectors,the finish was like glass - it almost seemed too nice to play..almost)

Bongo 4HS & '08 MIA Precision Std (Loved this Bongo,everything about it was spot on. The blizzard pearl Precision I kept strung with flatwounds and I only sold it to pay car repairs)

Stingray 3EQ (I never really gelled with this bass for some reason,possibly because I got the flame topped L-2000 the same week and the G&L just killed it imo - hell of a looker though! jezzaboy took it off my hands)

MIM 60's Classic Jazz (and I got this from jezzaboy in part-ex. This one had a varitone filter circuit fitted which I liked but not enough to stop me selling it )

G&L L-2000 & SB-2 ( This L-2000 with a J profile neck was bought from Geddys Nose and the SB-2 from BB2000. Sadly the SB-2 with the sick birdseye neck was sold in a moment of silliness last February to basschatter dcooper who lived local to me though I still have the L2K)

Stingray 5 & Bongo 5 (I still own both these. This Bongo was traded with bigwan for my 4HH when we met at the Cairnryan ferry terminal,it a powerhouse of crushing tone. This Stingray 5, which is the 3rd one I've owned, is my favourite bass ever - it will go to my grave with me!)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='1104662' date='Jan 27 2011, 01:39 AM']G&L Asats (gold asat from Geddy's nose and I kept this a while and sold onto thebeat/semi hollow I got from power of ten and went to tonyf - both were lovely - I used the gold solid body in an INXS Tribute band and the semi hollow in a function band around the same time)
[/quote]

Beautiful collection of basses, I love this gold ASAT, I have bad gas for it :)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='1104663' date='Jan 27 2011, 02:40 AM']Spector NSCR5FM (i owned this for a while and it was a gorgeous 5 string. Crazykiwi now has this and he's improved it by all accounts. CK got it via john kemo who I did a deal with for the bongo 4HH below as I was getting pangs for one of those again
[/quote]
Guilty as charged! I played it when Homerplaysbass brought it to a bass bash and even then it made me think 'ooh'. I then missed out on it when Dubster sold it but I got my hands on it eventually. It sounds fantastic and after the modifications is extremely versatile too...absolutely without any question a keeper and a once-in-a-lifetime instrument.

It replaced my Smiths and its gone up against other instruments (Overwaters, Status, Wals, Fenders, a Fodera MG and all the other instruments I own) and NOTHING I've played beats it for the sweet, warm, growly and tight low end tone....not even the other Czech Spector 5 I have is as warm.

Its the PERFECT sounding house/funk/RnB bass.

Thanks for posting the pics Keir. Just reminded me how good looking the sunburst ray was. After using it for a few gigs, I found that it was too heavy too play for 2.5 hours at a time. It was doing my shoulder in but it was one of the best looking ray`s I have seen. I sold it to an actor/semi pro guy called Craig from Knightswood who was well happy with it.

And that white 60`s Jazz was a cracker too! But I am back firmly in the G& L family now and fully intend to stay there.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1105466' date='Jan 27 2011, 07:33 PM']Thanks for posting the pics Keir. Just reminded me how good looking the sunburst ray was. After using it for a few gigs, I found that it was too heavy too play for 2.5 hours at a time. It was doing my shoulder in but it was one of the best looking ray`s I have seen. I sold it to an actor/semi pro guy called Craig from Knightswood who was well happy with it.

And that white 60`s Jazz was a cracker too! But I am back firmly in the G& L family now and fully intend to stay there.

Jez[/quote]

Hi Jerry,good you're back on the G&Ls, they're just brilliant!

[quote name='james' post='1105469' date='Jan 27 2011, 07:39 PM']I have the semi-hollow ASAT now fantastic sounding bass[/quote]

ah,good to know its gone to someone who obviously appreciates it. a great example of an Asat bass - the tone was huge iirc and the cherryburst was just stunning under stagelights. I've traded away some fantastic basses and this one was high on my regrets list.

I was lucky enough to buy the SB2 and it is now the only bass i really play.Aside from looking great the tone for a passive bass is HUGE!! The split pickup gets used 90% of the time and within half an inch of movement from the tone control you can get a big pillowy low end or a biting tone with natural growl.The volume control seems to have an extra boost when on full and is almost like stepping on a pedal.Love it :) You have had some fantastic basses Keir but i think that Bolin is absolutely stunning!!