Why become a member? ×

Hard Case For Every Bass?

spongebob

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1100426' date='Jan 24 2011, 08:37 AM']Bassdrobe, the [i]real[/i] one :)

Keeps them out of harm's way while being easily accessible too. Lots of basses in a small space means I don't hear about it from the missus too.

[/quote]

Possibly the coolest thing I have EVER seen in my entire life. Awe. Some.

How did you build it? I'd love to replicate that...

Edited by leroybasslines

It's pretty simple, just some MDF and curtains, really :)

There's a slab of 12mm MDF at the top which I cut the slots for the bass necks to fit into, I think each slot is about 45mm wide and maybe 15cm deep. There's one slot for every 100mm so I can fit 10 basses into a 1m space. I used draft excluding foam, you know, the sticky backed stuff you'd use in a door arch, running along the entire leading edge to stop any dings in the neck. I used 6mm MDF for the vertical panels and they're fixed into the top panel. That entire structure is covered in fairly thick green curtain the missus had lying around for more impact protection and it's resting on two 1" diameter pieces of wood, think broom handle type of thing, you can buy it in 3m lengths and cut to size. I used pipe insulation foam to wrap around that and so the weight of the basses is supported by them, there is no real pressure on the necks at all, the slots really just keep the basses balanced upright. The only fixture into the wardrobe is a small piece of MDF on either side into which the two broom handley bits sit, so it can all come out quickly and without permanent damage when the missus finally comes to her senses.

The cases go in the attc, I can grab one when needed and they're out of the way the rest of the time.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1100418' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:21 AM']Bu,t going back to storage, I need a little reassurance -[b] is it ok to hang basses on wall hangers for prolonged periods?[/b] I know they're exposed to the elements and this can have a negative effect on hardware etc. - that doesn't bother me so much - but can hanging a bass have a detrimental effect on the instrument's neck or the finish around the headstock? I hope not!

We're currently in the process of adopting kids and the cold, harsh reality of not being able to leave lovely basses on chairs ready to go whenever the muse descends upon me is slowly kicking in. Any tips from those that parent boisterous kids while guarding precious basses would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

I have seen this debated for a few times on 'other' sites, and the general consensus is that there is no untoward problems in storing them hanging on a wall hook.

The nice thing about wall mounts is that they are usually high enough for a cookie-crumbler (drape-ape; rug rat) to not be able to grab them as they are out of their reach. Once a child gets to a more substantial height, they should have respect for things that are not theirs and treat your gear as such.

My kids never caused me any grief - none of the five of them, instrument-wise, although there were other things they destroyed with elan.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1100922' date='Jan 24 2011, 03:30 PM']My kids never caused me any grief - none of the five of them, instrument-wise, although there were other things they destroyed with elan.[/quote]

My only son grew up and fled the nest. I have all my basses on wall hooks, the gf knows better not to even point at them.

When being carried to gigs I use sturdy gig bags, they only travel in my car and never under a pile of speakers or other equipment. Hard cases are superfluos to almost useless, if you are a high flying musician, I wouldn't trust the average hard case to protect your bass from those monkeys baggage handlers, your bass is only safe in a proper bulky metal flight case. And that's a fact.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1100426' date='Jan 24 2011, 08:37 AM']Bassdrobe, the [i]real[/i] one :)

Keeps them out of harm's way while being easily accessible too. Lots of basses in a small space means I don't hear about it from the missus too.

[/quote]
I still love this, but i dont have enough basses to justify it :)

Lovin' that bassdrobe! :)

Mine are all in hardcases (except a semi in a gigbag as I can't find a HSC to fit) and yes they take up a hell of a lot of room.

Also, having quite a few vintage basses with their original hard cases I bought a big generic HSC without a shaped liner, so that I can gig them without taking the OHSC - which with '60's instruments are often pretty crap anyway. I'm fairly sure Mrs Shaggy was visually measuring me for a straight-jacket when I explained the rationale to her. :)

My Streamer was shipped from Germany in a paddy Warwick gig bag surrounded by a cardboard box. I figure if it can survive that (and if Warwick are happy to ship their basses like that) then that should be enough protection for the odd trip out to a gig in my car.

When at home, my basses either stay in their gig bags or out on stands in the spare room where I practice.

Oh, apart from the Star Bass, which scuffs around the bedroom for me to busk about on.