Why become a member? ×

Under The Bridge

risingson

I listened to a lot of music as I grew up. I remember when I first took up bass I was told to listen to The Red Hot Chili Peppers because they had a great bass player. So when I finally did get round to listening to them I got completely hooked. It wasn't just the bass playing, but a lot of the way Hillel Slovak and later John Frusciante voiced themselves on guitar, as well as Anthony Keidis's lyrics which at times could be incredibly poignant, even if his vocal ability did at times lack somewhat... in fact over time the bass playing became inconsequential in comparison to their ability to write brilliant music. To me, they remain one of the most important bands to emerge from the past 30 years. I remember buying 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', and I would still describe it as a musical turning point in my life.

As time went on though, I stopped listening to them as much as I once did, and other music began to edge them out of my walkman, a lot of jazz, rock, R&B and Motown, as my taste 'matured' for lack of a better term. Whilst I still loved Flea's playing, I was keener to explore other bass players that had a more 'conventional' approach to bass playing.

So tonight, I found myself sitting and listening to Under the Bridge. I think every band has a song that defines them. I would argue that the Rolling Stones's 'Gimme Shelter' epitomes their excellence in one song, conversely I could probably say that 'Day In the Life' sums up nicely John Lennon and Paul McCartney's ability to write some of the most timeless music and lyrics ever heard. For me the song that best summarises what the Chili Peppers did was Under the Bridge. It remains a nostalgic and important song to me still, so I thought I'd share it with you all

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE&ob=av3el"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE&ob=av3el[/url]

:)

Edited by risingson

I agree and it's a shame that you get the flea fanboi crap if you like the chilis or play a stingray as the rest of the band aren't bad either! The only thing is I think soul to squeeze is the best song they have ever done and shows how good flea can be at bass playing in a conventional way. Could you put a you tube link for it I'm only on my iPod? Great song.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1097015' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:10 AM']I agree and it's a shame that you get the flea fanboi crap if you like the chilis or play a stingray as the rest of the band aren't bad either! The only thing is I think soul to squeeze is the best song they have ever done and shows how good flea can be at bass playing in a conventional way. Could you put a you tube link for it I'm only on my iPod? Great song.[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE[/url]

I love Soul to Squeeze too, it's another superb song

I went to see the Chilis in 1989 at the Manchester Apollo, on the Mothers Milk Tour. That hybrid of funk, punk and metal was theirs and it spawned 1000s of imitators.
They were unbelievabley funky, powerful and owned the stage and the crowd. The only upsetting part was at the Time, the Apollo was seated and when people rushed to the front to boogie, the bouncers just let rip and started to leather everybody. Not good.
Oh and Flea is a monster of a bassist.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='risingson' post='1097017' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:12 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE[/url]

I love Soul to Squeeze too, it's another superb song[/quote]
Yup, soul to squeeze is the one for me too! Good call.

Lovely song.

I'm a chili peppers freak and i've spent years trying to get hold of everything they've ever done, including a Stingray!
BSSM is by far the album that has most influenced my playing over the years with Sir Psycho Sexy being the pinnacle of it.

Great post -

I know it's probably a little saccharin, but for me it's Californication - such sweet tones on bass -

For the record John Frusicante's solo work is amazing - in particular Ataxia, which he formed in 2004, I think, with Joe Lally. They made one very engrossing album

Chili's were my favourite band when i was growing up and are still up there now. Although there later albums have seen them decline they still have something that draws me back and make me wants to listen to them. I can't really pick a favourite song although Johnny, Kick A Hole In The Sky used to really help me out when work was getting me down. Good post Risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='1097017' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:12 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE[/url]

I love Soul to Squeeze too, it's another superb song[/quote]

+ another 1. Great bassline too. Interesting that Flea gets labelled a one trick (slap!) pony - Soul to Squeeze and Under the Bridge are both great melodic lines with no slap in sight (could add Scar Tissue, Californication and a lot of other to that as well).

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1097020' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:22 AM']I went to see the Chilis in 1989 at the Manchester Apollo, on the Mothers Milk Tour. That hybrid of funk, punk and metal was theirs and it spawned 1000s of imitators.
They were unbelievabley funky, powerful and owned the stage and the crowd.[/quote]

I saw them around this time as well, in the Queen Margaret union at Glasgow University, and can confirm your perception :-) Brilliant entertainers, "other worldly", yet earthy at the same time. Brilliant.

I don't understand the criticism of Flea either, I think he is a fantastic musician.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1097224' date='Jan 21 2011, 10:53 AM']I don't understand the criticism of Flea either, I think he is a fantastic musician.[/quote]

Flea brought bass playing to the forefront of a band like no one else ever has (apart from maybe Paul McCartney purely by default). That made him very popular with younger players keen on replicating his technique, aesthetic and sound, and it spawned a generation of new bass players (I include myself in that). Unfortunately, some people feel compelled to go out their way to disprove him as a musician; something which usually reflects their lack of ability to digest other kind of music that doesn't fit their idea of what constitutes good musicianship. It's something that's always baffled me, but I now understand that some people need to quantify other musician's abilities in order for them to assess whether they're worth listening to or not, which is completely ridiculous!

Edited by risingson

Soul To Squeeze is my all time favourite song, and my partner's too.

Its so good I'm going to embed it, so there :):-

I'd say that Flea and the Chilis have always shown this level of playing, but people didnt focus on it, due to the socks on c*cks thing I think.

Here is my evidence:-

Sublime playing all round, and equal parts funky, beautiful and melodic.

I dig the Chili Peppers,apart from their last two albums,but I think the main reason that people are critical of Flea is because over the last 15-20 years he has been lauded as being the 'greatest' by many players. He's a good player and he certainly found his niche in the music world,but there are better players. It's always the same when a band becomes very popular-its members are called superlatives like 'genius',regardless of their actual ability ,by their fans and slated by those who don't like them.
I'm not knocking Flea,he's done some really cool stuff,and I spent time learning his lines from 'Mothers Milk' up to 'Californication',but this was because I was digging the band rather than worshipping Flea as an awesome player ( his old video made sure of that).

[quote name='endorka' post='1097224' date='Jan 21 2011, 10:53 AM']I saw them around this time as well, in the Queen Margaret union at Glasgow University, and can confirm your perception :-) Brilliant entertainers, "other worldly", yet earthy at the same time. Brilliant.

I don't understand the criticism of Flea either, I think he is a fantastic musician.

Jennifer[/quote]

Was at the same gig. Jan 1990 I think. They had a guy on trumpet for a few numbers. Remember Antony doing hand stands on stage during solos. Meet them in a pub off Ashton lane pre-gig by accident.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='1097516' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:54 PM']Was at the same gig. Jan 1990 I think. They had a guy on trumpet for a few numbers. Remember Antony doing hand stands on stage during solos. Meet them in a pub off Ashton lane pre-gig by accident.[/quote]

Awesome :-) I remember Flea's banter with the audience, telling us that we should all become cool by getting a haircut like his, which if my memory is correct, was in some sort of ridiculous pineapple style.

Kids nowadays don't believe me when I tell them I saw "The Chillies" in the QM :-)

Jennifer

[quote name='Doddy' post='1097504' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:46 PM']He's a good player and he certainly found his niche in the music world,but there are better players.[/quote]

Flea would be the first person to agree with you on this. He's always struck me as very aware of himself as a musician, not cocky at all and very quick to note that he is simply a small fish in a big pond (I hate that analogy but hey). And young players are very quick to label someone the 'best', it's the competitive nature of being a teenager.

It's the age old argument though; I'm not concerned about the sum of an individual musician's skills if they have the ability as group to create brilliant music. I don't listen to music an the premise of a song having a really great bass guitar part, or if I do it's incredibly rare... I'm more interested in the sum of the parts.

[quote name='DazBoot88' post='1097495' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:42 PM']Sexy Mexican Maid is an amazing song. It's got a real dirty, gritty feel to it which i love. The whole Mothers Milk album is a work of art![/quote]

Its 'real' funk - that is music made to f*** to....