Why become a member? ×

Ibanez TS9B Bass Distortion

ArgyBargy

That looks nice! The TS is my favourite OD but never used it on bass because of the lack of a blend control wich this one has! Now... if only it is true bypass... i'm seeing some GAS building up for one of these (or a clone with true bypass mode).
Any specs yet?
Thanks for the heads up :)

Found the Ibanez page for it with a manual to download..
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/effect_page11.php?area_id=3&effect_id=92&year=2011&cat_id=6&series_id=464"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/effect_pa...p;series_id=464[/url]
No news anywhere of UK price though..

The manual appears to be corrupted.. Can't open the bloody thing!!

Edited by ArgyBargy

[quote name='ahpook' post='1089660' date='Jan 14 2011, 06:45 PM']looks interesting.

has to be said tho - given the number of demos i've heard of effects or basses, what the world considers a 'gentle overdrive' is what i consider a 'normal bass sound' ![/quote]

It depends on your core sound. Many people uses valve amps or ss amps with valve pres and some of that valve grit is part of their sound. I like a nice and clean sound (hi-fi'ish) so to me the gentle OD is a real world reality to my sound. It's just a mather of personal tastes. Maybe what i call fuzz is just an ordinary OD to you? :)

By the way, i've heard the video and liked what i heard. Nice bottom end going in this guy. Also dowloaded the specs and it seems to have no true bypass... probably i'll end up buying it anyway and send it to a DIYer friend to do the mod and a rehousing if necessary. It all comes down to the price they'll be hitting the stores, i never looked much into ibanez pedals, any thoughts on an aproximate price?

Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1096446' date='Jan 20 2011, 03:17 PM']That's twice the price of a ODB-3!!! Ibanez has gone insane! I'll wait till they start showing on fleabay for £50...[/quote]

..but ODB's are horrible little things! Seems fair, as it's (to me) going up against pedals like the fulltone bassdrive and xotic BB preamp, all tubescreamer clones, and the ibanez will probably work out cheaper than either....

won't get one myself, I HATE the footswitches on these pedals. love the sound of my maxon delay (same casing as this pedal), but it's quite possible playing live to step on the thing at the wrong angle and nothing happen....

I do like the idea of a tubescreamer and blend. I've used a variety of techniques to achieve just this, and here it is all by its self!

Also, that doesn't seem like too much for a good pedal (keeping in mind the second-hand market in a year's time).

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

I still think it's way too expensive ie compared to the EHX MicroSynth (£163 on DV247)! That's a pedal to cost near £100, in my opinion. Compared to the fulltone it doesn't have the two channels or the switches to choose from different OD types, they are very different even if one started out as a clone of the other. It also doesn't have a true bypass switch and i'm yet to find out about the quality of the components used. They're selling the brand stamped on the sticker.

We have reserved most of the pedals from the first shipment. The price will be lower than that quoted above, however, there are some discrepancies in the 2011 trade price list and we are awaiting confirmation on the exact price of this pedal before we put it on the site. The first units are due to arrive in June and, judging by the reaction at NAMM, we expect to pre-sell most if not all of what we have coming in. If I get more news, I'll let you know.

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='1100035' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:01 PM']We have reserved most of the pedals from the first shipment. The price will be lower than that quoted above, however, there are some discrepancies in the 2011 trade price list and we are awaiting confirmation on the exact price of this pedal before we put it on the site. The first units are due to arrive in June and, judging by the reaction at NAMM, we expect to pre-sell most if not all of what we have coming in. If I get more news, I'll let you know.[/quote]

Good to hear they haven't completely lost their minds. Keep us posted when you get the final quotes.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I am pleased to confirm that, rather unexpectedly, we have just received the first shipment of the TS9B - they weren't due until June!!! First things first, it sounds great! :) We're selling them for £146 including free UK delivery which you should find to be very competitive. We are, however, offering a special Basschat discount to bring the price down to £140. Simply enter discount code 'basschat' at checkout for your discount. We've left this discount open until the end of March or while stocks last. Click [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/ibanez-ts9b-bass-tube-screamer---free-delivery---in-stock-now-1499-p.asp"]here[/url] to place your order. Anyone local is welcome to come in and try the pedal out in-store.

In other news.... we've also received our first shipment from Aguilar and now have the full range of pedals in stock.

Definately interested in this, Loved the Bassdrive and currently use a Durham Electronix Zia Drive which is based on a tube screamer circuit. Looks like the Ibanez pedal gives more tonal options and the blend option is excellent.

Just checked out Dolphin and they're pricing them at £175 :)

I'll wait till they have them in-store and take one for a test drive.

Betwen my Fulltone Bassdrive, Bass Big Muff and a incoming Pickle Pie B i believe i have all my dirt needs covered but i still would love to have a go with the Ibby to see if it's man enough to take the Fulltone's place... i think it will. Only shame is that Ibanez (like boss and other makers) are still manufacturing their pedals without true bypass! We're in 2011! Can't they realize that TB is a fundamental feature for a pedal? Imagine you have a power failure (dead battery or busted psu) with TB you can step on the pedals and turn them off and you keep giging!

I realy can't understand the benefit of keep building like in the 80's...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1123788' date='Feb 11 2011, 02:06 PM']Only shame is that Ibanez (like boss and other makers) are still manufacturing their pedals without true bypass! We're in 2011! Can't they realize that TB is a fundamental feature for a pedal? Imagine you have a power failure (dead battery or busted psu) with TB you can step on the pedals and turn them off and you keep giging!

I realy can't understand the benefit of keep building like in the 80's...[/quote]

This debate has come up a number of times and in part at least, I do agree with the merits of true bypass, especially in the event of a power mishap. However, I think you underrate the quality of buffered bypass; I've found with the majority of Boss pedals to suffer little if no tone loss at all and furthermore, if you are using a number of pedals without a buffer you will suffer great signal loss. Yes, the bypass on my Korg G5 is appalling, but that I've got it in a loop anyway. The bypass' on the Boss, EHX, MXR and EBS which I use are very clean and I have no issues in chaining 10/11 of them together.

Doesn't the TB pop ever annoy you?