Why become a member? ×

GK MB range...

LukeFRC

I think there were a few reliability issues on their release, hence the mark 2 release. Theyve been getting some love on talkbass. Im looking at picking up the mb500 as a back up/ slve for my shuttle. Great bang for the buck new IMO and ove always enjoyed gk. Not sure why the lack of popularity though. Bit weird! I guess other brands market a bit better perhaps, pus they have market share at the moment.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1088497' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:37 PM']Because they aren't that great, IMV.
I don't think they are in the same league as Markbass, for example, and that is ok, as long as the price reflects that.[/quote]

If you're talking about the range as opposed to the brand then I'd completely agree. When I was looking at the cabs in that range they did seem a bit cheep and cheerful.

I've been toying with the idea of getting an MB(2)500 and a Neo 212 II but the total cost is like £900 (off the top of my head buying from various places) to have a nice lightweight rig,

so for pretty much the same thing, with probably just less quality the MB212 combo which is about £600

Though the First option means i can switch the head out and use an RB head when i get more.

In terms of reliability, I say an amp was reliable if you ran it for 5 years without a blink.
I assume people plug into it at home so that is say, 300 days a year times a good few years.

So, taking that as MY guide, I've had mine for nearly 20 under those conditions and it failed when someone knocked it over under power and needed few things replaced by a decent tech. Cost £35:00.

That is my benchmark, now.

Just sayin'....

[quote name='JTUK' post='1089005' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:09 AM']In terms of reliability, I say an amp was reliable if you ran it for 5 years without a blink.
I assume people plug into it at home so that is say, 300 days a year times a good few years.

So, taking that as MY guide, I've had mine for nearly 20 under those conditions and it failed when someone knocked it over under power and needed few things replaced by a decent tech. Cost £35:00.

That is my benchmark, now.

Just sayin'....[/quote]
Good benchmark :) The only amp I've had fail on me occurred when a friend dropped it out of a van and the heatsinks fell off the power transistors...

Anyhoo, I've got an MB200 on order for a cheap+tiny home/rehearsal head. Should be arriving late Feb so I'll let you all know what I think :)

(Edited for smelling pistakes)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1088872' date='Jan 14 2011, 06:22 AM']I would skip the head, AttitudeCastle, and just go for the lightweight cabs. The GK RB head I have is hardly light, but it is solid and reliable and sounds lush and carrying it won't pull my back out or give me a hernia. The cabs, on the other hand...[/quote]

I think your right man! Just got to find the money!

GASing for a New Yammie :) :) hah