Why become a member? ×

What you need to plug your amp in

thepurpleblob

It's fabulous... the power cable doesn't even take much thinking about. You spend thousands on your power cable and then plug it into the wall. Via a 4 quid MK socket (if you're lucky), yards of cheap and nasty T&E, a rickety old fuse box and then God knows what between you and a big, rusty, 1940s transformer at the end of the street.

Don't even get me started about speaker cables...

[quote name='icastle' post='1088001' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:01 PM']Nope.
Poncey stereo stuff generally uses 3A fuses... in fact I can't think of anything in the normal household 'AV' setup that actually would need a 13A fuse...[/quote]

My poncey power amplifiers in my poncey stereo draw 11amps on switch on. My poncey stereo can produce higher sound pressure levels than my bass rig.
A Gallien Krueger fusion 550 into a 4x10 and a 2x10 linked to an Ashdown 1000w bass magnifier power amp a 4x12 and 1x15. Measured at 3metres.

I don't subscribe to expensive cables and Russ Andrews kit is over priced and he is a self opinionated twit. (I work in the Hi Fi industry and have met him on various occasions).

However I have found benefits in buying "decent" cables for both my bass rig and my Hi Fi.

Russ Andrews has also been warned by the ASA not to make unmeasurable claims for the ability of his mains cables. I realise that some Hi Fi junkies will spend anything in their search for the Holy Grail in audio reproduction, but it's their money to do with as they wish if they believe it's what they want.

Personally I tend to advise against this type of purchase and suggest they spend their money on a load more music to try out.

Rant over Sorry.

[quote name='gelfin' post='1088697' date='Jan 13 2011, 10:32 PM']My poncey power amplifiers in my poncey stereo draw 11amps on switch on. My poncey stereo can produce higher sound pressure levels than my bass rig.
A Gallien Krueger fusion 550 into a 4x10 and a 2x10 linked to an Ashdown 1000w bass magnifier power amp a 4x12 and 1x15. Measured at 3metres.

I don't subscribe to expensive cables and Russ Andrews kit is over priced and he is a self opinionated twit. (I work in the Hi Fi industry and have met him on various occasions).

However I have found benefits in buying "decent" cables for both my bass rig and my Hi Fi.

Russ Andrews has also been warned by the ASA not to make unmeasurable claims for the ability of his mains cables. I realise that some Hi Fi junkies will spend anything in their search for the Holy Grail in audio reproduction, but it's their money to do with as they wish if they believe it's what they want.

Personally I tend to advise against this type of purchase and suggest they spend their money on a load more music to try out.

Rant over Sorry.[/quote]

Yep - high end stuff can draw a lot of current on startup - that's why I said [i]normal household 'AV' setup[/i] - I was specifically staying away from high end hifi gear and bass gear... :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1088647' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:43 PM']It's fabulous... the power cable doesn't even take much thinking about. You spend thousands on your power cable and then plug it into the wall. Via a 4 quid MK socket (if you're lucky), yards of cheap and nasty T&E, a rickety old fuse box and then God knows what between you and a big, rusty, 1940s transformer at the end of the street.[/quote]

It's even worse in Norfolk because there's no hills and the electric gets stuck in the wires - unless you use the Russ Andrews nuclear reactor cables of course... :)

Oh, it's him again. I first heard of Russ Andrews about 35 years ago. In those days he was just another hi-fi dealer who happened to get involved with the design and marketing of a product called the Nytech receiver (tuner-amp). It had great reviews. I've still got the tuner half downstairs in the cupboard. It's called an Edinburgh Wireless Co. tuner. cost me £100 in 1976.

I forgot about hi-fi in the early 80's but he didn't. He's been peddling this sort of stuff for years. Completely wacky over-the-top nonsense, but it must sell, presumably to America and now the Middle East. Probably a multi millionaire by now. One day he'll probably market a product that's been cleaned with a pulse of nuclear energy.

Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='1088775' date='Jan 13 2011, 11:57 PM']Completely wacky over-the-top nonsense, but it must sell, presumably to America and now the Middle East.[/quote]

The Middle East must be an 'interesting' market for him.
If they cut the hands off of thieves I wonder what they do to salesmen that talk b*ll*cks... :)

[quote name='Mokl' post='1088627' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:27 PM']I use one of these to power my kettle, and it definitely comes to the boil more quickly! Take that ye doubters![/quote]

I too am a believer.
I powered a table lamp with one and the bulb shone with a brilliance unknown, the rays uncovered hidden areas of the room, I saw like I had never seen before.

[quote name='Musky' post='1088619' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:22 PM']My favourite bit of hi-fi hokum - [url="http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm"]http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm[/url] :)[/quote]
You beat me to it. I'm moderately convinced that that site is a semi-hoax - the fact that there are covers from science fiction books on every page does hint that they are pointing out the unreality of all the claims, but OTOH if anyone is actually stupid enough to buy [url="http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina47.htm"]four 3/4" diameter blue dots for $99[/url] then you can do it through Paypal.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we're not the only ones to be slightly suspicious of fancy cables:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/product-reviews/B000I1X6PM/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending"]http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicate...nDateDescending[/url]

[quote name='mart' post='1103799' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:11 PM']Looks like we're not the only ones to be slightly suspicious of fancy cables:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/product-reviews/B000I1X6PM/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending"]http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicate...nDateDescending[/url][/quote]

Looks like it's made out of the flex my granny used to have on her clothes iron... :)