Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Geddy's not perfect after all!

Conan

Some good early footage of Ged and the boys. Love the Rick, pity it was effectively retired for many years. I'd love to know what happened to that Steinberger bass he played for a short while in the 80's????

He is one awesome bass player - maybe not as good as he used to be but still great!

[quote name='crplumb' post='1086529' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:37 AM']He is one awesome bass player - maybe not as good as he used to be but still great![/quote]

Eh? In what way do you think he has deteriorated? Technically? Sound? Style? I think he's probably become more 'tasteful', and I would probably say that he is now more of a 'singer that plays bass' rather than a 'bass player who sings'.

[quote name='Conan' post='1086537' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:45 AM']Eh? In what way do you think he has deteriorated? Technically? Sound? Style? I think he's probably become more 'tasteful', and I would probably say that he is now more of a 'singer that plays bass' rather than a 'bass player who sings'.[/quote]
Personally I wouldn't say he's deteriorated, but I think from around Counterparts, when he started doing that flamenco thing, his lines have become less interesting.

Also, on the newer tunes, there's been more pads going on during the solos, and less room for him to groove.

Freewill... Camera Eye... Distant Early Warning.... Marathon.... Vital Signs... Digital Man... Turn the Page.... (obviously, I could go on) all great, memorable lines.

These days, it's usually just DANGANAGANAGANANGANGANGANGANGANGANGANG. 'Tis a shame.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1086524' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:29 AM']You can see the look on his face as his goes 'oh sh*t' haha. That's not a big mistake though, at least they didn't just.. stop. :)[/quote]

Absolutely. I would say this is a lesson from a master on how to get away with a bum note.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1086543' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:52 AM']Personally I wouldn't say he's deteriorated, but I think from around Counterparts, when he started doing that flamenco thing, his lines have become less interesting.

Also, on the newer tunes, there's been more pads going on during the solos, and less room for him to groove.

Freewill... Camera Eye... Distant Early Warning.... Marathon.... Vital Signs... Digital Man... Turn the Page.... (obviously, I could go on) all great, memorable lines.[/quote]

Yes. I would agree with that. Also add to the list my personal favourite - Middletown Dreams. TBH, the whole of Power Windows! Even though I don't like his Wal sounds as much as either his Ricks or Jazzes...

[quote name='2wheeler' post='1086547' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:54 AM']Absolutely. I would say this is a lesson from a master on how to get away with a bum note.[/quote]

You think he got away with it? :) Somewhat ironic that such a howler takes place in a track called "Best I Can"!! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1086548' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:56 AM']Yes. I would agree with that. Also add to the list my personal favourite - Middletown Dreams. TBH, the whole of Power Windows! Even though I don't like his Wal sounds as much as either his Ricks or Jazzes...[/quote]
I was watching S&A live t'other day, and I realised one of the best bits on the new tunes was towards the end of One Little Victory, when all the pads and sequences drop out during the guitar solo. It's just the three of them burning away, with loads of sonic space around them. It's a great moment, and a shame it doesn't happen more often on the newer material.

But.. who am I to tell them what they should be doing? :)

[quote name='crplumb' post='1086529' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:37 AM']Some good early footage of Ged and the boys. Love the Rick, pity it was effectively retired for many years. I'd love to know what happened to that Steinberger bass he played for a short while in the 80's????

He is one awesome bass player - maybe not as good as he used to be but still great![/quote]

AFAIK he kept the Steinberger and would have happily used it for much longer had he not been blown away by Wal basses. It was during the warmup sessions for Power Windows when Geddy Lee tried Peter Collins' Wal bass, which Peter recommended to him because it was the "in" bass on the British pop and studio scene which Peter was involved with. Geddy liked the bass so much he ended up buying his own and that was that! I believe he still his has Wal basses too.

Then, sadly, in 1993 Geddy went back to his jazz bass. It was suggested to him by a bloke called Kevin "Caveman" Shirley, who I think was a studio tech or something for the Counterparts record. This was at a time when Nirvana were big and grunge rock was the "in" thing in America and he thought it would help the band go for a rock sound that would appeal to American audiences of the time. Geddy tried the jazz bass and sadly he's been using it ever since! It's a nice sounding bass but it can't hold a candle to his Steinberger or his Wal basses!

He is still an awesome bass player, one of my all time favourites.

[quote name='2wheeler' post='1086547' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:54 AM']Absolutely. I would say this is a lesson from a master on how to get away with a bum note.[/quote]
Nah, he did not get away with it. It was a howler, a really rank note. I know, I do them all the time :)

[quote name='crplumb' post='1086529' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:37 AM']Some good early footage of Ged and the boys. Love the Rick, pity it was effectively retired for many years. I'd love to know what happened to that Steinberger bass he played for a short while in the 80's????

He is one awesome bass player - maybe not as good as he used to be but still great![/quote]

Yep, parts like Malignant Narcissism & the breakout part of Caravan for example clearly show a bass player in decline........ :)

[b]
He is one awesome bass player - maybe not as good as he used to be but still great![/b][/quote]
No No No No No!

He's better than ever. Look at any recent live footage. Same with Alex Lifeson. I agree their recordings have been a bit dull for the last 12 or so years but as musicians they are as great as they ever were

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1087013' date='Jan 12 2011, 06:36 PM']Then, sadly, in 1993 Geddy went back to his jazz bass. It was suggested to him by a bloke called Kevin "Caveman" Shirley, who I think was a studio tech or something for the Counterparts record. This was at a time when Nirvana were big and grunge rock was the "in" thing in America and he thought it would help the band go for a rock sound that would appeal to American audiences of the time. Geddy tried the jazz bass and sadly he's been using it ever since! It's a nice sounding bass but it can't hold a candle to his Steinberger or his Wal basses![/quote]

I don't much like his Wal sound. I like what he plays on it, and some of his lines on Power Windows and Hold your Fire are classics - but I think it's those loose, flappy funkmaster strings he used at the time. Far too light. No tone at all. And I know, coz I used them around that time too!!

I love his Jazz tone, but I think it's got a bit over the top now when played live. A bit TOO clangy for me I'm afraid.

Still my all-time favourite bassist though!

[quote name='silddx' post='1087051' date='Jan 12 2011, 06:59 PM']No No No No No!

He's better than ever. Look at any recent live footage. Same with Alex Lifeson. I agree their recordings have been a bit dull for the last 12 or so years but as musicians they are as great as they ever were[/quote]
Agree - he's still a devastatingly good player, maybe just a bit more disciplined than he was 30-odd years ago. I'm also inclined to think that if Rush wanted to write the sort of material they wrote in the late 70s/early 80s they would - but they're in it to please themselves, not certain elements of their fanbase. Despite the fact I'm not that fussed on their more recent output, this is as it should be.

Personally I'm a fan of his J sound - the Steinberger & Wal didn't really suit the band IMO, a bit sterile. Live, Rush have always been raucous & a bit messy-sounding, even during the squeaky-clean Power Windows/HYF days, and I think the J brings some of this to the studio stuff. The biggest problem with their recent recorded sound is the reliance on multiple guitar tracks with way too much low-end.

J.

Rush are great because they are who they are and noone else. An iconic musician in every role, with the possible exception of Lee's keyboard playing, they have carved a niche all of their own. Frankly, I think there are better songwriters/players/singers/lyricists etc than each of them but, as a unit in toto, they are unbeatable. It took me years to realise it but I actually think the most original player in the trio is Lifeson. His guitar playing is actually really creative and he sounds like noone else. Despite their reputations, Peart has limitations as does Lee but, overall, a great band. I currently find them all but unlistenable but I was a Rush nut from Caress of Steel to Moving PIctures after which they lost me. But, for a while there, they were the one.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1087996' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:58 PM']Rush are great because they are who they are and noone else. An iconic musician in every role, with the possible exception of Lee's keyboard playing, they have carved a niche all of their own. Frankly, I think there are better songwriters/players/singers/lyricists etc than each of them but, as a unit in toto, they are unbeatable. It took me years to realise it but I actually think the most original player in the trio is Lifeson. His guitar playing is actually really creative and he sounds like noone else. Despite their reputations, Peart has limitations as does Lee but, overall, a great band. I currently find them all but unlistenable but I was a Rush nut from Caress of Steel to Moving PIctures after which they lost me. But, for a while there, they were the one.[/quote]
Perfectly put, as usual.

I completely agree about Lifeson, and I reckon he has influenced the way I think about harmony and song structure more than anyone, with the exception of Zappa.

[quote name='silddx' post='1088020' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:08 PM']Perfectly put, as usual.

I completely agree about Lifeson, and I reckon he has influenced the way I think about harmony and song structure more than anyone, with the exception of Zappa.[/quote]
Aye, he's great. His tone has been fairly rotten recently though.. IMO.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1087996' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:58 PM']I currently find them all but unlistenable but I was a Rush nut from Caress of Steel to Moving PIctures after which they lost me. But, for a while there, they were the one.[/quote]

It's interesting that a lot of us long-term Rush fans still love the band but are not keen on their recent material. The cut-off point may vary (for me they became inconsistent after Roll the Bones, but I still really like Test for Echo. I just can't get away with the last two studio albums). To me it just feels that they have become rather stagnant and are going through the motions to a certain extent. Back in the seventies and eighties, and even into the nineties, every new album had something new or different to it's predecessors. Not any more IMO.

What does that say about us as fans or indeed about the band themselves? I wonder if there are fans of 'modern' Rush who hate the earlier stuff? I guess there must be, but I'm yet to meet one!