Why become a member? ×

Lakland 55-01 "opinions"

tippbass

You'll only get good opinions about Lakland from me!

I prefer the 35" scale, 19mm string spacing at the bridge, the balance of the instrument, the feel of the neck and mine has Bartolini which is very flexible and makes it sound great. These days Lakland used their own pickups which seem to get good reports from owners.

They seem to be a good price, more in line of what an import bass should be. Ive tried the 55-02 and wasnt immediately taken back by it, but it was a nice bass.

Just watch out for weight and large neck pockets....youll find a good un if you try a few. Although you cant expect too much at that price level.

The MM style pup for me onm the 55-02 was nowhere near as full on as an actual MM bass, but as youll probably realise I like MMs a lot.

Edited by Musicman20

I tried a 55-02 and 55-01 recently and really liked them. In the day where I also tried an Overwater Perception and an older series Fender American deluxe V, the Overwater 55-02 was my favourite by far.

I really liked the neck profile which surprised me. I never really liked the profile of four string Laklands I have tried, but on the five it just seemed right. I wasn't entirely convinced by the electronics of either the 55-01 or 02, but they could easily be switched out. The overall build quality seemed pretty good on all the ones I tried as well, a much better 'good ones to dogs' ratio than Fender.

Still regardless of that I have a hard time believing that the 55-02 Skylines are really a £1200 bass. But I think a £1200 bass is fairly different from it used to be, in terms of buying from shops.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1086757' date='Jan 12 2011, 02:48 PM']Still regardless of that I have a hard time believing that the 55-02 Skylines are really a £1200 bass. But I think a £1200 bass is fairly different from it used to be, in terms of buying from shops.[/quote]

Agreed. They really are pushing the price quite high for a Skyline IMO, although £1200 now is different.

I was close to buying a 55-02 (I know it's the higher model but still), and didn't in the because of the low B string...TBH I'm a real stickler for a good feeling low B and too many of them (including Fender V's and the Laklands) just don't feel even with the rest of the strings. I don't wanna have to play the B any different to the A for example.
In the end I stumped up a little more cash and bought a used Sei 5, which has an awesome B!

I haven't played one of the US ones but the players I know who have really don't think there is a great difference in the playability or sound to that of the Skyline.

I have to say tho, I love generally love the sound and feel of Laklands and still can't get the thought of owning one out of my mind!...maybe a 4 string!

[quote name='davebass66' post='1086857' date='Jan 12 2011, 04:12 PM']I was close to buying a 55-02 (I know it's the higher model but still), and didn't in the because of the low B string...TBH I'm a real stickler for a good feeling low B and too many of them (including Fender V's and the Laklands) just don't feel even with the rest of the strings. I don't wanna have to play the B any different to the A for example.
In the end I stumped up a little more cash and bought a used Sei 5, which has an awesome B!

I haven't played one of the US ones but the players I know who have really don't think there is a great difference in the playability or sound to that of the Skyline.

I have to say tho, I love generally love the sound and feel of Laklands and still can't get the thought of owning one out of my mind!...maybe a 4 string![/quote]This really suprises me..Lakland are legendary for there good B strings... was way better a tighter than my Sei.... Strings really do make a difference to..

[quote name='thodrik' post='1086757' date='Jan 12 2011, 02:48 PM']I tried a 55-02 and 55-01 recently and really liked them. In the day where I also tried an Overwater Perception and an older series Fender American deluxe V, the Overwater 55-02 was my favourite by far.

I really liked the neck profile which surprised me. I never really liked the profile of four string Laklands I have tried, but on the five it just seemed right. I wasn't entirely convinced by the electronics of either the 55-01 or 02, but they could easily be switched out. The overall build quality seemed pretty good on all the ones I tried as well, a much better 'good ones to dogs' ratio than Fender.

Still regardless of that I have a hard time believing that the 55-02 Skylines are really a £1200 bass. But I think a £1200 bass is fairly different from it used to be, in terms of buying from shops.[/quote]
Do you mean they are not worth the asking price of £1200?

Well lads.......Thanks so far for your reply's, I also have my eye on a custom shop Jazz 5 ?? but its nearly 3 times the price of the lakland and as my Stingray HH5 already set me back a nice few bob the thoughts of shelling out simular dosh !!!!.............. and one of em will spend alot of time on the stand ! I love fenders too but just cant help but think theres alot of the big custom shop price tag in the " Custom Shop " badge on the headstock ! I think I'm leaning towards the Lakland :)
Thanks for the replies , any more ....keep em coming

The 55-01 has some really nice sounds but they are a bit polite compared to the ray sound which you can back off to some extent where the lakland runs out of puff, in fairness as others in this thread have already done that comparison to the 55-02 which is closer but no cigar. Tbf for the money both are nice and can be had for a lot less nowadays than £1200. I wouldn't say no to one although for £649 a G&L 2500 tribute needs a test drive too, you might fall in love with it?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1087030' date='Jan 12 2011, 06:46 PM']Do you mean they are not worth the asking price of £1200?[/quote]

I was a little bit yes. In term of looks if nothing else I find the 44/55 series as lacking a bit of wow-factor, even in comparison to the Joe Osborn series etc, but that might be down to me not liking the looks in general as I will always pick a Fender clone over a Musicman based design. With the way the price of basses has skyrocketed in the last couple of years though, I think I have to reevaluate my expectations of the bass I can buy new for £1200. Musicmans are going for around £1500 new, standard US Fenders are going for over £1000. So in that respect, yes the Laklands probably are worth the money. Its just that a couple of years ago I'm sure that the Laklands were going for a lot lot less than they are going for now.

With all that said though, I absolutely maintain that they are very nice basses that are really playable.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a Lakland 55-01 with NTMB preamp here s/h for under £400 a couple of years ago. Worth every penny, it's my main gigging bass for pubs/functions etc, it also records well. Very playable, sounds good (very Fendery to my ears, which is what I wanted), well made too.