Why become a member? ×

Whats your favorite rare, exotic bass... no pics no go...

bubinga5

I love my rare exotic basses...crap to sell on, but a joy to own.... my new love and GAS is this bass.. they are unfortunately..mega bucks!.. there is not that many in the world... from a source/friend in the US, he has told me they are just incredible sounding basses... John Myung used to play them...

This bass does it for me..

i also love Surine and New York Bass Works basses... Sukop too

let me see the rare basses you love.. pics please...we all ant to see these beauties..

Edited by bubinga5

Exotic basses are my thing, saying as they're so much more interested that crappy old Fenders and the like. While basses likeFender jazz basses, Musicman Stingrays etc etc are fine workhorses on the pub scene, I prefer something a little more interesting to listen to or play!

here are my favourite basses, certainly rare and exotic items...

ACG Harlot singelcut:

Status S2 (proper 1980's ones):

Alembic Series II basses (I am particularly fond of the Stanley Clarke and Mark King type body shapes)

Kubicki Ex Factors:

I feel very lucky to have been able to own many of the rare and diserable basses I like. I don't think I'd feel as passionate about playing if I had to stick with a Fender and an Ampeg!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1082657' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:24 PM']I fell in love with the Henman B4 as soon as I saw it. Lots of money and not too many about.
It doesn't have a fancy exotic wood top, but is made with mahogany /sapele.[/quote]

I remember seeing that Jauqo XIIXXIIVIIIXXIIXVVV or whatever his bloody name is playing one in a youtube video. I can't believe it's a $6000 bass when it looks like that, and sounds like that and has EMG HZ pickups in it! They're fantastic in a Spector Rebop but I'd ask for more from a boutique bass! And I still can't work out what it is about the bass that is supposed to make $6000 look like a reasonable price to the customer.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082664' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:29 PM']I remember seeing that Jauqo XIIXXIIVIIIXXIIXVVV or whatever his bloody name is playing one in a youtube video. I can't believe it's a $6000 bass when it looks like that, and sounds like that and has EMG HZ pickups in it! They're fantastic in a Spector Rebop but I'd ask for more from a boutique bass! And I still can't work out what it is about the bass that is supposed to make $6000 look like a reasonable price to the customer.[/quote]

Yep, they're crazy money - there's all sorts of bumph about 'floating neck', bridge cover milled from a solid piece of aliminium etc. but I totally take your point that that price doesn't seem justified. It would be a "lottery win bass"
Apparently there is a choice of pickups now, but not sure of details.

Aesthetically, obviously not to your taste but to me it's the most beautiful bass I've ever seen, and has been since I first saw it 4 odd years ago.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1082657' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:24 PM']I fell in love with the Henman B4 as soon as I saw it. Lots of money and not too many about.
It doesn't have a fancy exotic wood top, but is made with mahogany /sapele.[/quote]

Ooh, love this one.

BB

Edited by borisbrain

[quote]John Myung used to play them...[/quote]

Nice to see a Tung bass there, they are very well spoken of despite the fact that I don\'t think Myung ever did them justice! Nicholas Tung retired from bass building in the mid 90\'s to run a restaurant in New York, but there was some talk on Talkbass a couple of years ago suggesting that he might be returning to building basses. It was confirmed by a Talkbass user but I don\'t think I\'ve seen a new Tung bass.

If you want to get in touch you can reach Nicolas at [email protected]

here a couple of Tung sound samples:

[url="http://altguitarbass.com/sounds/Yvon-tung1.mp3"]http://altguitarbass.com/sounds/Yvon-tung1.mp3[/url]

[url="http://altguitarbass.com/sounds/Yvon-tung1.mp3"]http://altguitarbass.com/sounds/Yvon-tung1.mp3[/url]

Edited by Chris2112

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ayLvWRUqI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ayLvWRUqI...feature=related[/url]

The Vincent Maurogiova Signature by Wood and Tronics, my favourite bass to date. Sorry, I couldn't find a picture of one although there was a chap selling one on here not too long ago.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1082640' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:06 PM']I know what you're up to BB5. You've run out of ideas and now you want to pick everyone's brains for fresh GAS. :)[/quote]i read that and frickin laughed mate..! you may have got me... are you saying im on BC too much then? :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1082640' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:06 PM']I know what you're up to BB5. You've run out of ideas and now you want to pick everyone's brains for fresh GAS. :)[/quote]if you wanna know the truth im staying in for the next 3 months to save money because i got made redundant...so..(your gonna like this) i will be posting my endless crap for a while. :) . just sit back and relax

Apparently now Nicholas Tung has dropped off the radar and hasn't been heard from in over year, at least to the people who have paid for instruments from him and heard nothing back! How strange. Perhaps some tragedy has befallen him, and sadly the internet world would never know because he didn't have a website set up for his relaunch, he was just operating off a yahoo email account.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082735' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:19 PM']Apparently now Nicholas Tung has dropped off the radar and hasn't been heard from in over year, at least to the people who have paid for instruments from him and heard nothing back! How strange. Perhaps some tragedy has befallen him, and sadly the internet world would never know because he didn't have a website set up for his relaunch, he was just operating off a yahoo email account.[/quote]i guess these guys are having issues in there life...shame to ruin such impecable reps though.. Its like Mr Celinder.. didnt CK say he had some personal probs? Did Nick Tung rip people off Chris?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1082739' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:25 PM']i guess these guys are having issues in there life...shame to ruin such impecable reps though.. Its like Mr Celinder.. didnt CK say he had some personal probs? Did Nick Tung rip people off Chris?[/quote]

I'm not sure that is the case, he used to post on Talkbass and seemed like an honest genuine guy who had built basses for a number of years in the previous decade with a good reputation. I would suspect he was making more money from the restaurant business than he was from building basses and he had worked on new designs (in particular a boutique jazz design) and built a few new basses prior to his 'disappearence'.

As I say, the poor bloke could have died for all we know, and we'd never find out because he was a one man band. I think most of his sales were generated through people speaking to him on Talkbass.