Why become a member? ×

GoodBye Mr. Nail

JMT3781

Today a spring loaded catch literally went off in my hand when trying to undo an "All in one" PA... the catch went under my finger nail and made a lot of blood come out..

after a lot of bleeding, theres a fair old wack of bruising on the skin under the nail. The nail was pretty floppy, but now its settled back down against the skin

tried playing Bass, pretty much a no go, definitely no slap (which i know some of you think is probably for the best :)) as its my right hand, index finger.

Has anyone done this? what can i expect over the next couple of days? is it gonna fall off?

Ten years ago I stopped playing for three years to concentrate on a professional qualification. The day after my last exam when I was looking forward to picking the bass up again, I shut my right index finger in the car door.

It went black and the nail eventually fell off. This took some time. It was as if the nail had died and a new one started to grow underneath. I'm sorry to say this but it took almost six months for it to get back to 'normal'. However, this was a very different type of injury to the one you described.

Try to look on it as an opportunity to practice playing with a pick or 'double-thumping'!

When i were a nipper,about five or six, i was playing out on the cricket pitch with a bigger boy and we found the drain cover for the sprinkler thingy...well he picked it up, i pointed at it and he let go...my finger that i was busy pointing with got hacked off at the tip!
Thankfully the skin didnt fully tear and i ran back to the sports and social club with my finger dangling off of my hand, it was put back on by nice doctors and now i have one index finger slightly shorter than the other.

The end.

[quote name='Heathy' post='1076498' date='Jan 3 2011, 05:16 PM']I shut my right index finger in the car door.

It went black and the nail eventually fell off. This took some time. It was as if the nail had died and a new one started to grow underneath. I'm sorry to say this but it took almost six months for it to get back to 'normal'. However, this was a very different type of injury to the one you described.[/quote]

Same thing happned to me, mine fell off too.

Yeah, unfortunately you'll almost certainly lose it - and new one willl grow underneath it & eventually push the old one off - and yeah - it takes weeks/months. The good bit is the more it bleeds at first the less painful it will be, so I was told.
I did the classic hammer to a thumb-nail trick a few years ago, it didn't bleed so the local nurse drilled a hole thru the nail with a red-hot pin (straightended paper-clip) to squeeze the dead blood out. Great fun - and it stinks of burning hair!

I almost cut my main artery in my right wrist a month ago when I broke a dish washing up - the crockery split in to and my wrist got a 1" long incision in a really dicey place - really put the cramp on my bass playing. The triage nurse reckoned that had it been another millimeter deeper then I wouldn't have driven myself to casualty... It's been glued and sutured back together and in the words of the late, great Zappa, "everything is healing nicely"

[quote name='skej21' post='1076477' date='Jan 3 2011, 05:03 PM']Worst one I ever did was unscrew a mic stand too quickly.

It came down and trapped the pad of my right hand, taking a chunk out of the flesh. Still have the scar to this day. Bloody painful.[/quote]

I'm a bit confused with your comment as above your photo it says "attached thumbnail"......

I trapped my thumb in a door once.

Everything from the middle joint up was a human flesh soup, with bone for seasoning.
The nail had come off and was held back on with sticky tape. The fleshy parts hung together with bits of tendon and the like and the tip bone thing was pushed back into the rest to join it up again. Doctors told me I was lucky nothing broke as it would have taken years to get the use back into it. However till this day I still strictly extending it and bending it backwards.

I was 7 when this happened.

Also as I work in a kitchen I'm either cutting myself, burning myself or just general self harming during a normal day. Cuts I can handle cuts and burns while playing, after a while I badly notice the pain.

I had something similar to this nail think though once, and after playing I ended up with deep abbesses (sp?) near the base of the nail, after I burst them with a needle and squeezed all the puss out, soaked it in salty hot water with a bit of antiseptic for about 45 minutes and the super glued the bit s of nail that were coming loose.

Now I just suffer from blisters on my finger tips.

I got my right index finger trapped between a car body shell and a trailer once. Nail went totally black (and finger throbbed like a mofo) and came off a few days later. Once the initial pain goes you'll be back playing while waiting for the new nail to grow back, no worries!