Why become a member? ×

Need to make my set up more 'flexible'?

martthebass

As the number of gigs really started to dry up last year, to maintain a sensible level of activity I found myself depping and playing in another band. Trouble is my number one band is a trio with a decent PA (some backing is employed also) so I find that my LM250 with MB 150HR is spot on, if the gig is larger scale I DI and use the cab as a monitor. Unfortunately band number 2 is a 5 piece with a poor PA and I sometimes struggle to get over the madly loud guitarists.

I don't want to go double cab with the 150HR to get a 4ohm solution with the LM 250 (not enough house room for any more toys) so should I:

1. Upgrade the LM250 to a LM2/3?
2. Sell the 150HR and get 2 small 12" cabs that take up about the same room?

Money's a bit tight at the moment so any cost effective suggestions would be very helpful. Also I know that MB get poor press for their cabs but I've been more than happy with the sound from my present setup.

Cheers, Mart

Edited by martthebass

I personally don't think that throwing more power at your present cab is going to give you more perceived volume. I'd be going down the route of another cab or as you indicate space is a problem, then a pair of smaller cabs or a single cab that will do both jobs... I'd stick with a modular, small cab approach!

If the LM250 is indeed rated max to 250, then you may be running out of power.

Not sure what the cab is...am assuming it is a 15" MB at 8ohms..? so that would put the output of that amp at 150 or so..???

2 12" cabs at 8ohms each would allow max power from the amp.
I still think the problem in dealing with the gtr is an issue though..if you say he is maddenely loud..but you will have done all that is reasonable possible, IMV..and probably pushed up the overall volume of the band..which isn't something I would encourage..as gtrs may always want tp go louder.

If you want a single cab fix, then a 4ohm cab is the only way to get more out of the amp.

You really need a more powerful amp but the 250 will do for the moment as, more importantly, you need another cab. 2 cabs would give you more volume and better tone. As Markbass is your "sound" I'd get another MB 150HR and then save up for an LM2 or 3.

Is the problem with you being able to hear yourself, or is is that you are being drowned out in the overall out-front mix? I guess the two problems will have potentially different solutions...

With one small cab down at floor level (as I assume it is), you may notice an improvement by simply lifting the cab off the floor (and therefore closer to your ears). You will lose a bit of low end, but I'm guessing that the way you are currently driving your set-up means that you have to cut low end anyway to achieve maximum volume...

Also, without knowing "your tone" it might be possible to cut through more by boosting the mids? I am speculating here of course!

Edited by Conan

I would agree on getting a 2nd mb 115 or changing to 2 2x10s or whatever suits you & then upgrading to a higher powered head to be the logical option.

What about getting one of the MB combos & adding an ext cab if needed? You could sell your LM250 & get a CMD 151 to add to your existing cab. Thus giving easy set ups.

I'll state the obvious - the solution depends on how much you can spend so........

Some good advice above, cheapest is raising the cab and boosting mids while cutting lows. Definately will improve what you hear at least.

I'd agree with warwickhunt that more speakers is better for volume than more amp watts. Don't get too hung up on single 4 ohm cabs to get more power. Most cabs can't handle the power of 500watt amps anyway. I don't think you'd hear much difference through your existing cab using a more powerful amp.
(There are some exceptions, like the Barefaced cabs range)

So, I would try to buy another identical cab second hand, try that and perhaps buy a Littlemark 500watt amp later if you want more headroom.

Of course, there are lots of more expensive options. The list is endless really.

Frank

Cheers for the suggestions guys. I'll have to rule out buying a second MB115HR - I really don't have the house room plus that would be a squeeze in my current transport. The thought of 2 12" cabs might be the way to go, that would be doable though I might have to phase this over a few months, selling or trading the 15" for a single high quality 12" being the first step and getting the second one later. Could someone suggest something around the trade value of my current MB115 that I should pitch for?

I'll also look at the eq suggestion, I've noticed that my Ray is sometimes more effective against the guitar twins than the Status because I can boost the mids more easily. I should have been more specific in my initial comments also in that the sound FOH is usually stated to be ok - the main problem for me is the sound on stage, the 'mush' drowns out my bass to the point that I can't pitch properly.

Don't forget efficiency as an issue as well.. For me the Barefaced Super 12 looks like a great sweetspot in terms of what you would need.. It's efficient (102db/1W/1m) has a small footprint, 4 ohms, is a 2x12 and it only 40 lbs in weight... 3 db extra efficiency is the same as doubling your amp output.. And they're sort of British :-)

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve[/url]

Edited by markstuk