Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

As promised in another thread, concerning the search for the right colour.
This is my 1973 YOB former stripped, now sonic blue P bass, with one of the most fantastic maple necks i have ever played (J.Torres)
I was thinking about refinishing the bass over 1,5 years. Now i am totally overwhelmed and pretty sure ;) that i did the right thing.
Let me introduce her to you..

Love this slab, John. My favourite all-time colour combo. Apt that it went to a Who tribute player.

You may appreciate this pic... my ex, a 76P and my current bass, a custom P made by Basschat's own Bass Doc.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='73Jazz' timestamp='1341737992' post='1723239']
This is my 1973 YOB former stripped, now sonic blue P bass, with one of the most fantastic maple necks i have ever played (J.Torres)
I was thinking about refinishing the bass over 1,5 years. Now i am totally overwhelmed and pretty sure ;) that i did the right thing.

[/quote]

Christ on a bike! :o That's gorgeous!

[quote name='73Jazz' timestamp='1341737992' post='1723239']
[/quote]

Gorgeous colour on the neck :) I know I would have hesitated to re-fin that, but you have a great result. You have the before pics ?

Thank you very much
..natural is so....boring ;)
This is, how she sounds..natural, the sound hasn`t changed..it just got a little more sonic :D

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194859/Wrathchild%20Mpg.mpg"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194859/Wrathchild%20Mpg.mpg[/url]

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341763539' post='1723727']
Don't like natural finishes! :D
[/quote]
[quote name='73Jazz' timestamp='1341763985' post='1723734']
..natural is so....boring ;)
[/quote]

Have to disagree ... for me, I would have left it natural ...classy look. There's no denying it looks good now though.

Thought I'd show off me £50 Squier VM Precision with it's new Mighty Mite neck.
First song I played on it was Accidents Will Happen. After the broken screws debacle,
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181249-screwing-gone-bad-made-good-again/"]http://basschat.co.u...ade-good-again/[/url] it just seemed right! :)
http://

[quote name='johnp352' timestamp='1341680707' post='1722722']
Hello from Chicago..new here..though this Slab P has been in the UK for a few years now. I built it as I wanted the JAE Marque thing..and got it. Sold to a guy who is in a Who tribute band in the UK. Ash body, two piece maple neck, specially wound PU from Seymour Duncan.
[/quote]

Very, very cool.

Working on my own version as we speak.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341934612' post='1726476']
Really? :) Is it going to have a maple fb on maple neck and everything..?
[/quote]

I'm quite OCD :unsure: when it comes to detail, as you'll see from some of my other Projects, most of which are for sale now, so yes. I already have most of the parts, including the maple cap neck, original '66 tuners, original '66 black, wide bevel 3 ply guard, with shield, original '66 neckplate, original '66 pots, jack & wiring, original '66 string tree, original '66 strap buttons. Original '66 Bridge is currently in negotiation

I just need the body (Already spec'd and quoted, just need to get round to ordering it), pickups, and thumbrest. Getting exciting now! ;)

some things i found out about while building this..please remember it was 2006, and a few details about these basses have come to light since- though I don't believe 1/2 of them..

The two piece maple neck is a great addition..never played one before, and it made a difference. As did the "crappy" stock fender vintage bridge..you know, the one that everyone tosses and sticks on a "high mass" boat anchor? I liked it so much I stuck one on my 'blues bass", a 60's squier with flats..and that bass sounds right too. Anyway, go with the original. The body has to be ash..and here, i hope you luck into finding a light one, because ..z bass..she is z heavyweight. To the point where when i picked it up for a pre set warmup..I felt like I knew I was going to work. And lastly the pickup..so much info on this..and so little info-mation. I have the good fortune (very good fortune) to be an endorser and player of Rick Turner basses, and through him connected to Evan at Seymour Duncan. Now Rick just happens to be the guy who designed and built John Entwistles Alembics..and he knows a lot about pickups..he didn't think the pickups on these had any serious magical qualities to them..stock 60's pickups..of course "stock" back then meant..whoever was winding may..or may not have..overwound or underwound..and the one that got foisted into the OX P may or may not be .....let's put it this way. That bass exists, somebody bought it at the Sothby auction, right? and that somebody could have the pickup measured and we'd finally put an end to speculation..but back to Evan who recommended an Antiquity 2, that's what I put in this. and with a fresh set of rotos and 2 amps, one set for "bass" and one for "treble"..there you go. Good luck with the build, and I mean it..you'll dig what you come up with. As for me, I am starting a build on another Brit Fender..a sorta Ronnie Wood with Beck '69 tele bass. and the pics in here of Doc Bass's finish are making me want to move to Hackney..btw, where IS the good Doc?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341934209' post='1726470']
White, black, maple. Doesn't get much better than that.
[/quote]

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1341996244' post='1727505']
Apart from Black,Black,maple.
[/quote]

Aye I agree with both views, and they have to be Precisions too, non of that ugly off-set body Jazz malarky. :)

1969 P-Bass.
Story:

Found this at a prominent Vintage Dealer in Los Angeles, Norm's Rare Guitars. First I picked up/played an all-original 60's something J-Bass, with it'shang-tags, case, etc. as new. Cost: US $!0K- as I was reminded by Uncle Norman! ("Unless you're gonna buy it, Put it down!") So I did.

THEN-
Saw this P-Bass, beat all to He**, [b]spray-painted![/b] Matte Black w/ multiple dings; pup shot, bridge rusted, weird aftermarket tuners, everything needed restoration. But the neck! THE NECK! Best I ever felt. Paid US $400.

Took to Eric's Guitar Shop (If you visit and need work on your axe-none better)-

Duncan 1/4-punder, BAII Bridge, new tuners, p/g, string retainer, re-fret, neck sanded w/ light tung-oil, then off to Wilkins (does finish for Sadowsky, Lakland, etc) to have the spray paint removed, and left natural 40+ year old alder.

A Player-Player-Player Bass, I have some other amazing basses inc. passive and active...But THIS!!! Is a P-Bass!

Blimey! (Is that the correct expression?? I was gonna say Oh, SH*** it rawks so bad!.

Either Way: Sorry for the inferior pic, but-
May I introduce:

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342541927' post='1736868']
1969 P-Bass.
Story:

Found this at a prominent Vintage Dealer in Los Angeles, Norm's Rare Guitars. First I picked up/played an all-original 60's something J-Bass, with it'shang-tags, case, etc. as new. Cost: US $!0K- as I was reminded by Uncle Norman! ("Unless you're gonna buy it, Put it down!") So I did.

THEN-
Saw this P-Bass, beat all to He**, [b]spray-painted![/b] Matte Black w/ multiple dings; pup shot, bridge rusted, weird aftermarket tuners, everything needed restoration. But the neck! THE NECK! Best I ever felt. Paid US $400.

Took to Eric's Guitar Shop (If you visit and need work on your axe-none better)-

Duncan 1/4-punder, BAII Bridge, new tuners, p/g, string retainer, re-fret, neck sanded w/ light tung-oil, then off to Wilkins (does finish for Sadowsky, Lakland, etc) to have the spray paint removed, and left natural 40+ year old alder.

A Player-Player-Player Bass, I have some other amazing basses inc. passive and active...But THIS!!! Is a P-Bass!

Blimey! (Is that the correct expression?? I was gonna say Oh, SH*** it rawks so bad!.

Either Way: Sorry for the inferior pic, but-
May I introduce:
[/quote]

Nice, is that a maple-cap neck P?

Good story too.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1342558127' post='1737153']
Nice, is that a maple-cap neck P?

Good story too.
[/quote]

Thanks, it's a skunk-stripe maple neck, maple board- not sure of the radius, but it has a 1 1/2" width at the nut, interesting for a P-Bass now that I think about it.
Always sounds tight and low, the way a P-Bass should! :)