Why become a member? ×

2 212 cabs instead of a 410 and 115

Steve Spector

All are biggish lumps.

If I had a big gig, then maybe I'd go DB2x12 and a DB210 if the 210 was double the impedance or a DB4x10 with 212 if not.

But considering that most 2x12 would be on casters..or should be..and would handle 600w, I would just use that for 99% of gigs.
You are going to either run the 212 at 4 ohms which makes pairing them up difficult with most amps or at 8ohms for both but have a 750 watt amp or in the region off.

I think most gigs are more than handled by a 500w rig into 4 ohms..so you would have to work back from that figure either with what your amp could produce..or what you cabs can handle, watts and impedance-wise.

If you are average sized venue/clubs/pubs, then a 500w amp into an 8ohm cab with give you 350 or so watts..which is more than enough..IF..your gtrs are sensible. If they are not..you are into ear-protection and most pubs couldn't have them in anyway..IMO.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1071246' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:35 PM']I use 212's. I find they do the job of evening the sound better than other cabs. What I have found though is that one good one (like an EBS Neoline that can take 600w) I generally enough and I can't imagine needing to use 2 cabs.

My EBS Neo 212 does the job perfect!

Shep[/quote]

I see you have a Proline 212 and Neoline 212, do you ever use them together? It's EBS gear I'm looking at - a Fafner II with possibly 1 of each 212 cab.

Steve

[quote name='JTUK' post='1071262' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:55 PM']If you are average sized venue/clubs/pubs, then a 500w amp into an 8ohm cab with give you 350 or so watts..which is more than enough..IF..your gtrs are sensible. If they are not..you are into ear-protection and most pubs couldn't have them in anyway..IMO.[/quote]

Thanks JT, as I also posted about 810s you can probably guess that I'm looking for a new setup and going through all the permutations! Thanks for all the advice - I need it!
Steve

The Proline is not in my possession yet... It's on the way. I only need 1 can as it's more than loud enough!

I bought the Proline as I got it at a bargain price and can't afford another Neo yet. I can't see why anyone would need more than 1 EBS Neoline 212. The cab can take more than a Fafner II can throw at it. Unless your playing stadiums or the O2 Arena you only need 1 4ohm cab.

When I have the money I'll sell the incoming Proline and get another Neo because it's lighter...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1071268' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:03 PM']The Proline is not in my possession yet... It's on the way. I only need 1 can as it's more than loud enough!
When I have the money I'll sell the incoming Proline and get another Neo because it's lighter...[/quote]

Can I ask you why you got rid of your Fafner and got the TD650?
Steve

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1071293' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:41 PM']Can I ask you why you got rid of your Fafner and got the TD650?
Steve[/quote]

Course!

I also have a HD350. Which I prefer the flat sound of when you compare it to the Fafner. The Fafner is awesome, but I prefer a funky boingy tone, even when playing heavy stuff. The HD350 lacked the power though.

The TD650 sounds more like the HD350 but with all the added power. One thing that brings the Fafner into it's own is the amazing drive channel... Which I never used. It just so happened that another basschatter had a TD650 and wasn't keen on the funky tone and was using the drive loads. Basically it made sense to swap them round so he had the warmer drive channel and I had the HD350 tone with more power. We could always swap back if they didn't work out for us.

Thankfully it worked out great.

To be fair the Fafner & the TD650 have much in common and with EQ tweaking we both coup of achieved the results we wanted. It just happened I found someone that wanted a Fafner while I fancied trying the TD. If I hadn't of found such a person I'd of kept the Fafner and it still would of been the best amp I'd ever owned.

Shep

I run 2 112's cabs at 8ohm each to get 4 ohms and 400watts from my amp. I play very lightly and I would say I haven't struggled for power yet.. and I have played a few stages with it, plus our band has a full and powerful sound ( IMO) so I would think you would need to be very loud to need much more.

If the amp you are looking at goes down to 2 ohms..you have all this covered adn I would just get the 4ohm 2x12 at first.
You may find you don't need the second 2x12.

FWIW..and this is not conclusive, by any means, but I prefer ceramics atm over NEO, but that is based on just the one experiment with a 2x10 NEO.

Castors are a must for 2x12, 4x10 type cabs, IMO as ceramics would be 60lbs or so...probably more.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1071317' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:10 PM']If the amp you are looking at goes down to 2 ohms..you have all this covered adn I would just get the 4ohm 2x12 at first.
You may find you don't need the second 2x12.[/quote]

I freely admit that it's more want than "need". It'd be a Fafner or TD660 so yes it'll give 2 ohms. Other alternative is a 212 and 115 mix. Or a single 810?

Steve

Edited by Steve Spector

If you want a big rig for the sake of it 2 cabs are better than an 8x10 IMO just for he fact you can take one cab if you want.

If you going ebs i'd get the head and a single 4ohm cab like the 212 and see how you find the volume. You can add another 4ohm then as the head will run down to 2ohm.

I ran a 212 and 115 NEO for ages into 2ohm but sold the 115 as it seemed pointless running the amp on a quarter volume against a loud metal band. Dropping the 2nd cab and running 4 ohms still gives me more volume than I've ever dreamt of!

I used to use a TD650 with a Proline 2x12 and a Proline 4x10. For the venues I play this setup was a little overkill but it sounded (and looked) the biz! The 2x12 was probably my favourite EBS cab which was occasionally used with my Markbass 250w head which was a lovely combination. For most gigs now I use a Markbass F1 with my Proline 4x10 and this is plenty. I doubt that I would ever go back to using a large stack again.

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1071234' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:26 PM']What would be the better choice in general? I hear various suggestions that mixing a 410 and 115 gives an uneven combination. What would I lose with 2 212s instead?
Cheers,
Steve[/quote]

Probably a bad back!

Seriously, in terms of performance you`ll probably get the same , and the benefit I can see there, is that for practice you only need take one cab (possibly for smaller gigs too).

[quote name='chris_b' post='1071664' date='Dec 29 2010, 12:25 PM']You'll also loose most of the punch from the 10's. I'm using my 12's for most gigs these days but deep down I really prefer the 10's.[/quote]

So a 212 and 410 could be a good combo?
Or would the 410 overpower the 212 like it would the 115?
Steve

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1071939' date='Dec 29 2010, 05:28 PM']....So a 212 and 410 could be a good combo? Or would the 410 overpower the 212 like it would the 115?....[/quote]
I can't say, depends on the cabs.

How loud do you want to be? I think 1 x 410 (800w - 1000w) or 1 x 212 ((600w - 800w) and a 500w amp would cover most semi-pro situations. If you have to have more then, as long as you use 8 ohm cabs, I'd get another of the same.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1071979' date='Dec 29 2010, 06:34 PM']I can't say, depends on the cabs.

How loud do you want to be? I think 1 x 410 (800w - 1000w) or 1 x 212 ((600w - 800w) and a 500w amp would cover most semi-pro situations. If you have to have more then, as long as you use 8 ohm cabs, I'd get another of the same.[/quote]

Or two 4ohm cabs if you are using EBS TD65/60, HD350 or Fafner heads... which looks like could be the case.

I have 2 8 ohm DB212s and a DB750 amp. I never use both, except ONE gig that is particularly big. Every other gig the 450 watts into one 8ohm DB212 is more than enough. Each cab handles 600watts I think so when I'm using both, they REALLY push some air!