Why become a member? ×

BC'ers SX bass gallery

neilb

From Paul H
I think if I was a better bass player then it would be different! I am just better at programming slightly weird, loopy synth stuff than actually playing live instruments. I can program an organ part that I am totally happy with in a fraction of the time it would take me to do ten takes of a bass line that I would never be satisfied with.

It’s nice to know I am not the only one who gets frustrated with my own abilities.

I ordered an SX neck in maple with pearly blocks last week... it arrived on Friday. Here's some pics.
[attachment=5683:neck_overall.JPG] [attachment=5682:neck_nut_end.JPG]
It's superb... nice woods, finished in a flawless high gloss, even on the board, which to my amazement is bound... although as you can see the binding is a bit plasticky and not great. In spite of what the Rondo site said, it DID come with the nut... so that's one less thing to buy! The headstock is blank and decal-free, which is nice. I did consider getting a spoof decal made up of the 'Fecker' variety, but the gloss finish is so nice I don't want to muck about with it. So I'm going to leave it blank. Overall it's an incredible bargain for $113 including shipping... sixty-ish quid? Brilliant!
I've fitted the tuners, D-tuner and string tree. It needs a bit of sanding down to fit in the body's neck pocket, but at least that means it'll be a good firm neck joint. I've got an Artec 3-band eq in the post, and next to order is a decent bridge and a set of knobs.

My main problem now is that I can't decide if I prefer the white plate or the torty... opinions please?
[attachment=5684:white.JPG] [attachment=5685:torty.JPG]

Thanks guys... starting to look like tort ;)
Although just to be blimmin awkward, I found a pic of a pale yellow 70s Jazz with maple block neck and a [i]black[/i] pickguard... and it looks sooo cool :)... think a black one might be on order soon... :huh:

EDIT: this is the pic:
[attachment=5700:jazz_wit...ck_plate.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

My latest flame...........a quilt top blue Jazz.

Again, arrived in very good nick. Usual set up and upgrades next week. PLUS - it came with the nice pearloid plate already, saved me £30!!

:)

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='150399' date='Mar 3 2008, 03:34 PM']My latest flame...........a quilt top blue Jazz.

Again, arrived in very good nick. Usual set up and upgrades next week. PLUS - it came with the nice pearloid plate already, saved me £30!!

:)[/quote]

That does look mighty fine.. Though i think a neck with a maple fretboard would make it look much better.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='156180' date='Mar 12 2008, 04:46 PM']I'm interested in buying a P myself to mess around on (maybe gig). If you order from Rondo, do they ship to the UK? If so who does it and how much is it? And is there any tax/hidden costs? Do customs hold onto it?

Cheers.[/quote]

I should do a Wiki on this :)

Buy a $110 dollar P from Rondo, pay by paypal.
It ends up costing you about £140 - £150 including the bass, shipping, Duty, VAt and it gets delivered to your address.
5 or so days later you get the customs bill through the post.
USPS handles it.

Your P alternatives are "Noname" and "Jim Deacon" (both available here) Jim Deacon 62 p bass is about £110 - £140 depending on the shop.
Damn fine bass for the money and you can try it first in a number of places.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='156203' date='Mar 12 2008, 05:06 PM']See, this is the bit I'm worried about. Do you have to pay custom charges or do USPS pay it for you?[/quote]

Don't worry about it

You pay Rondo forteh bass and shipping - about 100 quid..
Then it turns up about 5 or 6 days later
Then the courier sends you a bill for about 45 quid that covers all the other bits

[quote name='OldGit' post='156225' date='Mar 12 2008, 05:43 PM']Don't worry about it

You pay Rondo forteh bass and shipping - about 100 quid..
Then it turns up about 5 or 6 days later
Then the courier sends you a bill for about 45 quid that covers all the other bits[/quote]
I was hoping to get a P in blue with maybe a tort pickguard - like this: