Why become a member? ×

Burrito Deluxe: My Gilded Palace of Sin

Cat Burrito

As is often the Basschat way I've sold a lot off and bought a couple of new (to me at least!) basses so I thought I'd re-do my old Hot Burrito thread to show where I am at and more importantly to just show it all off!

First up (from left to right)

Up front is a bitsa Fender Precision that is mainly 70s / 80s parts and has been my main gigging bass this year. Behind that...

a 1957RI MIJ tobacco sunburst Fender Precision that I have recoverted into a 62RI. This is a 1989 model that has been with me since I started gigging.

Then behind that is a 1976 Jazz bass with a Fender Precision neck which sorts my issue with narrow necks on Jazzes not being to my taste.

To it's right is a stripped down 1979 Fender Precision that I stripped myself (ditto the bitsa bass)

Then it's my brush with the modern world, a 2009 51RI Fender Precision

and finally my all original 1978 mocha brown Fender Precision. I even have the original strings! Not on it though!! :)

All are regularly set up and serviced so despite the age of a lot of this these play great. I'm a bit of a one trick pony and these are all heavy flatwound strings with foam under the bridges of all the Precisions.

This is my upright bass. No real story here. It's relatively new and I enjoy playing it.

My Dobro bass is a £120 EBay purchase that came from Houston TX but I suspect originates from the Bluegrass Republic of China!

My main gigging rig for the bigger shows. It's a 1978 Bassman head with an old Ampeg 15E cab. Both are now flightcased.

For the smaller gigs my yet to be road tested Orange rig. I suspect this will be heavily used in 2011.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='grayn' post='1072988' date='Dec 30 2010, 06:43 PM']All those chrome covers look cool but don't they get in the way, somewhat?[/quote]
It's a bit like playing with the strap slung low, not ideal or recommended but I've been playing with them on since the late 90s so I don't think about them anymore. It's a bit harder / more noticeable on a Jazz for me for some reason but the Precisions cause me no issues whatsoever

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='captain black' post='1090155' date='Jan 15 2011, 09:28 AM']I've recently acquired a worn-in '78 mocha and I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the colour.
Today, since looking at yours, I love it.[/quote]
Looking at the pic I posted in this thread, it doesn't do it justice

As you can see I have original strings, till receipt & case candy.

I'd love to see your one

Here you go.
As I said, mine's a bit worn in, unlike yours, but it's a real player.
It had Active EMG's in a PJ configuration when I acquired it.
Now it's all passive and has a Schaller (DiMarzio clone) in the Bridge position.
It now sounds and plays fantastic and just as it should thanks to Howard (BassDoc).
It doesn't have that much intrinsic value now, I know, but I love basses that have been well played in like this one.

[attachment=68981:IMGP0077.JPG]

[attachment=68982:IMGP0094.JPG]

[quote name='captain black' post='1091427' date='Jan 16 2011, 03:01 PM']It doesn't have that much intrinsic value now, I know, but I love basses that have been well played in like this one.[/quote]
Very cool & I think I'd have done similar. I'm not massively interested in value & I do like something that is playable :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1048841' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:34 PM']As is often the Basschat way I've sold a lot off and bought a couple of new (to me at least!) basses so I thought I'd re-do my old Hot Burrito thread to show where I am at and more importantly to just show it all off!

First up (from left to right)

Up front is a bitsa Fender Precision that is mainly 70s / 80s parts and has been my main gigging bass this year. Behind that...

a 1957RI MIJ tobacco sunburst Fender Precision that I have recoverted into a 62RI. This is a 1989 model that has been with me since I started gigging.

Then behind that is a 1976 Jazz bass with a Fender Precision neck which sorts my issue with narrow necks on Jazzes not being to my taste.

To it's right is a stripped down 1979 Fender Precision that I stripped myself (ditto the bitsa bass)

Then it's my brush with the modern world, a 2009 51RI Fender Precision

and finally my all original 1978 mocha brown Fender Precision. I even have the original strings! Not on it though!! :)

All are regularly set up and serviced so despite the age of a lot of this these play great. I'm a bit of a one trick pony and these are all heavy flatwound strings with foam under the bridges of all the Precisions.

This is my upright bass. No real story here. It's relatively new and I enjoy playing it.

My Dobro bass is a £120 EBay purchase that came from Houston TX but I suspect originates from the Bluegrass Republic of China!

My main gigging rig for the bigger shows. It's a 1978 Bassman head with an old Ampeg 15E cab. Both are now flightcased.

For the smaller gigs my yet to be road tested Orange rig. I suspect this will be heavily used in 2011.[/quote]

dribble.. I'm in heaven ;-) Lovely basses

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1048841' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:34 PM']As is often the Basschat way I've sold a lot off and bought a couple of new (to me at least!) basses so I thought I'd re-do my old Hot Burrito thread to show where I am at and more importantly to just show it all off!
[/quote]

Beautiful collection. There is something almost zen like about a grouping of Fenders, almost like the sound of the rain or crashing waves, the way they calm your soul :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1048841' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:34 PM'][/quote]

Mmmmmm Bassman :)

[quote name='captain black' post='1091427' date='Jan 16 2011, 03:01 PM']Here you go.
As I said, mine's a bit worn in, unlike yours, but it's a real player.

[attachment=68981:IMGP0077.JPG]

[attachment=68982:IMGP0094.JPG][/quote]

This bass plays like a dream, I went to try it out, wish I bought it now :lol:

Edited by cd_david