Why become a member? ×

'77 reissue

tom1946

Has anyone got one of these?

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-77/37943"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-mod...z-bass-77/37943[/url]

Any good? I love the look of it tbh and it's cheap enough but is the CV better?

/discuss

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1048464' date='Dec 5 2010, 05:39 PM']great sound, crap quality. My mate ended up replacing his tuning pegs with 50p coins as the origionals all snapped off[/quote]

All 4 pegs broke !
Is your friend a gorilla or just accident prone - I can't believe they all do that.
And they'd be replaced under warranty if they did.

I don't own one of these but I have played a couple.

Initial thoughts, not as nice as the CV jazz. The build quality was great, the blocks on both the basses I played were neat as was the fretwork and overall construction. The bridge and tuners were fine but to be honest a small investment in new ones would make it a better bass IMHO. the only thing for me was that the neck was very anemic and I really do not like the feel of the satin necks on them. The Classic Vibe Jazz felt a lot more 'complete' and I like the tint on the neck, makes it feel a bit higher quality in my head. The sound was good, nice growl to it but no better than the CV Jazz.

Anyway nice bass but i would go for a CV based on feel and playability myself.

Iv'e got the Squier VMJ (Natural) and I love it. The overall build quality is 'good' with no rough edges to report. I think TBH the quality [i][/i]may [i][/i]vary a bit so best to play one in a shop and check it out before you buy. It has the same pup's as the '77 and IMO they are very good. You can get it to growl very nicely and I changed the Fender strings for some Ernie Ball hybrid slinky's and these do make a diference. Overall, for the money, nothing much can touch it.

LC

[quote name='tom1946' post='1048316' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:25 AM']Has anyone got one of these?

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-77/37943"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-mod...z-bass-77/37943[/url]

Any good? I love the look of it tbh and it's cheap enough but is the CV better?

/discuss[/quote]

Hi,

I reviewed this bass a while back, currently on page 3 of bass reviews under title Squier VM 77 Jazz Bass, some first impressions.

I like mine a lot, as I wrote, and didn't have any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

Ted

The pegs were made of a very thin metal although he might have trod on it :) ....... But i have another friend with an american deluxe jazz bass and his tuning peg snapped off too. I think apart from the most recent models, most new fenders have been poorly made compared to musicman and warwick. Unless you just play in a bedroom i personally wouldn'y buy the bass as a gigging instrument.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1049111' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:16 AM']An Agathis body? :) sounds like an elderly crime author! I thought basswood was the choice for the lower end market these days??[/quote]
Not so much these days, agathis seems to be the budget wood of choice on a few newer models these days

[quote name='dr1' post='1049572' date='Dec 6 2010, 04:56 PM']agathis is OK, dont be pushed off cause of that. i had squier vm fretless - i changed the pups (nordstrand) and the sound were superb! even stock pups sounded good to be fair...[/quote]

I've got a VM fretless too although it's not a fretless now as I've swopped the neck out for a Mighty Mite fretted Jazz neck. I love the sound of the Duncan pickups which I think suit the fretted neck even better.