Why become a member? ×

Bass Fuzz / Distortion

uncle psychosis

Hi guys

I've got a quick question about fuzz/OD on bass. I play in [url="http://www.supermarionation.co.uk/"]a band[/url] and until recently I've just been a bass-lead-amp guy. Hpwever, we're only a three piece and every so often I think the bass parts could do with some dirt to fill out the sound (and also to make the rocking numbers rock more!!).

I started out by trying my USA Big Muff and my Proco RAT (I'm also a guitarist) on the bass. They sound good on their own, but disappear in the mix (classic problem). So I acquired a Boss LS2 for blending in clean signal (I am NOT going down the two amp route). I've been relatively happy with the results, but having to carry around two pedals and multiple patch cables is a bit irritating. I'd rather just take one pedal with me, so I've been eyeing up bass specific distortions---mainly the Tech21 Bass XXL and the EHX Bass Big Muff.

I guess the question is---will I get much out of these pedals other than convenience? Is it worth splashing out for bass specific pedals or will I get much the same result from LS2 + guitar pedal?

Cheers

Sam

Big Muffs are ALWAYS welcome to my ears, especially when blended. If you fancy something that's a little bit special then the MXR Bass Blowtorch has a 3 band EQ (with selectable mid frequency) and a blend control (amongst others). Basically you'll have an EQ for the dirty bass, and leave the clean signal alone. Gets my vote. MUCH more flexible than the loved/hated Big Muff 'tone stack'.

He all - has anyone had a chance to try out the TC Electronic Nova Drive yet, with it's blendable distortion and overdrive sections? I really like it'd MIDI and external control compatibility - but it'd be pointless if it sounds naff on bass!

If the price is good, I might take a punt on one and have my G Major 2 control it via MIDI.

Hi guys

I've got a quick question about fuzz/OD on bass. I play in [url="http://www.supermarionation.co.uk/"]a band[/url] and until recently I've just been a bass-lead-amp guy. Hpwever, we're only a three piece and every so often I think the bass parts could do with some dirt to fill out the sound (and also to make the rocking numbers rock more!!).

I started out by trying my USA Big Muff and my Proco RAT (I'm also a guitarist) on the bass. They sound good on their own, but disappear in the mix (classic problem). So I acquired a Boss LS2 for blending in clean signal (I am NOT going down the two amp route). I've been relatively happy with the results, but having to carry around two pedals and multiple patch cables is a bit irritating. I'd rather just take one pedal with me, so I've been eyeing up bass specific distortions---mainly the Tech21 Bass XXL and the EHX Bass Big Muff.

I guess the question is---will I get much out of these pedals other than convenience? Is it worth splashing out for bass specific pedals or will I get much the same result from LS2 + guitar pedal?

Cheers

Sam
[/quote]
The Markbass 'Distorsore' lets you blend clean and dry signals. There are also 2 filters high /low which give you the choice of distorting lows or highs giving you control over the overall colour of the signal. A great valve distortion.
[attachment=66691:pedalboard.JPG][quote name='uncle psychosis' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:18 PM' post='1048135']
Not the best picture.Third from bottom right.

Edited by Bloc Riff Nut

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='1063529' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:11 PM']I've been messing around with overdrives lately and my weapon of choice is the Marshall Jackhammer - really underrated pedal. :)[/quote]

+1

My guitarist mate gave me his as he uses multi-fx now, and I can't believe the sounds I can get from this thing! It's definately a worthy rival to the Big Muff... and i've not even had a proper play with it yet

[quote name='gelfin' post='1055471' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:18 PM']Might be worth checking out the Ashdown Jay Lomenzo Hyper-drive. It preserves the low end clean and lets you put all the drive and dirt into the higher frequencies.[/quote]

Big + for this pedal. My fave.