Why become a member? ×

Certain Techniques

Pete Academy

Prompted by Bubinga's thread on Bobby Vega, I looked at a few Youtube vids of him. I've always admired him, but I found his mastery of plectrum style really inspiring.

I play a conventional slap style and keep trying double-thumbing, but then can't be bothered.

Do you ever feel like you want to explore different playing techniques but haven't got the inclination or patience to do so? Or are you happy with how you are?

Im not too good at sitting down to learn a particular skill anyway but have been lucky in the last few years to be in a band where I can play about with techniques to suit myself as long as its all in tune and time (It is most of the time but you know the odd feck up here and there!) so I have learnt stuff that way more than any other. If I see someone doing something I can try it at the next practice or gig where the other bands I play in would look at me funny and tell me to go back to straight 8ths all the way through with a pick "Like the record".

I dont have particular style I would like to learn but would just like to better at all the ones I can do so far! There is always more to learn....

I have never managed to get the slap thing going, but I doubt if I'll ever try, simply because I don't feel I need it.

Though, I had a gig with a pop artist once, and there was one rather 'jamiroquaisky' tune where you probably couldn't get away without slapping.. and, when it came for me to play a solo.. well, let's say, slap didn't sound good in my hands then..

There is lots of negativity about picks out there I find Pete. Its nice to be able to do both in those situations when you can see the guy with the Zendor Warwick turning his/her nose up because your a picker then 4 numbers in hit some tasty finger style and deliver the killer slap at the end. I usually find the guys who think plec isnt cool cant use one?

I can play fingerstyle and that's it. I'd really like to learn to play with a pick but I find it really difficult. The sound would suit a lot of things I play, though.

Unless I suddenly join some sort of eighties revival band, slapping seems completely pointless and, if I may say so, a little vulgar too :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1042877' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:17 PM']I usually find the guys who think plec isnt cool cant use one?[/quote]

That's me! But then, the reason I can't use one is because I've never ever bothered practising it due to thinking it sounds so uncool :)
In all seriousness I can't think of any tracks I like that use one...thinking...Carol Kaye on Pet Sounds? Doesn't sound too challenging though.

I came to the conclusion years ago that unless you are playing songs that require slap then there is little need for it. I may add a little slap or pop here and there but never really found any use for it.

Recently began learning to play using a pick. It was something that I'd never really stuck at before but I'm finding it increasingly useful for quite a lot of songs we play

Tried my hand at 2 handed tapping but find myself in a similar position to that of slap, ie limited potential to use it.

The latest thing I am learning is Steve Harris triplets. I had absolutely no idea how much of a monster player he was until I started listening to Maiden properly. Still using my own technique to execute it though, looks far to uncomfortable to play it like him.

I'd like to learn to play like Sting with the thumb and index finger. Don't know why, it just looks cool.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1042892' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:28 PM']I can play fingerstyle and that's it. I'd really like to learn to play with a pick but I find it really difficult. The sound would suit a lot of things I play, though.

Unless I suddenly join some sort of eighties revival band, slapping seems completely pointless and, if I may say so, a little vulgar too :)[/quote]

Pointless :)! No way! Vulgar? Definitely, just how it should be. Gotta prefer that fat 70s Larry Graham style to the 80s stuff though.

im sure there are techniques you are using now without you thinking about them...Especially with alot of those SD tunes Pete... You use (IMHO) what you feel you need to or more importantly what suites your style... fingerstyle is what i use but in the context of a song/ if you feel it need a little bit more aggression , throw a little slap in there... harmonics are cool..

hammer on, pull off's, vibrato, stacato..there all techniques you prob use day to day... suck eggs an all that..

Love playing with a Pick, have played with a pick from day 1, stopped for a couple of years, and in the band i've reintroduced it and i'm enjoying it.

The technique i can't get to grips with is double tapping, but to be fair i'd never ever use it to the level where i'd need to get better than i am at it.

I spent so much time slapping from about late teens into my early 20's, i then realised i should have been working on being a better bass player rather than the best slap bassist.

These days it's all root note fingerstyle, or nice chordal work and some nice straight picking.

Any technique is worth dipping your toes in as far as i'm concerned, it's like being a good mechanic with a decent toolkit.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1042833' date='Nov 30 2010, 07:50 PM']Do you ever feel like you want to explore different playing techniques but haven't got the inclination or patience to do so? Or are you happy with how you are?[/quote]

I'm never totally happy with where I am-I always want to go further. Technically,I've tried most things.I've certainly got the patience to do it.Normally if I want to try something I'll sit for a few hours until I've got it.
Even though I play with my fingers 95% of the time,I still keep my thumb and pick chops up.

As far as double thumbing is concerned, Ive been trying to get this down for a while now. You really do need a bass with a super low action and some low tension strings - or thumbs of steel!

Playing with a plectrum has never really appealed to me, the only time I enjoy it is with a P bass on full tilt through an ampeg. and If im completely honest none of the lines that sound good that way are particularly hard work!

For me sometimes techniques can get a little out of hand...of course this down to the player...i want the hear music not an ego... if the double thumbing is done musically (not often) i love it... straight up slap and pop done right is killer..

in the nicest possible way i think most guys who double thumb or try and add to many sub divisions into there bass lines are a little over the top... but this is from a perspective of a song...not a solo...

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1043115' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:05 PM']I've always wanted to get the double thumbing technique down. I've tried some of the youtube tutorials but I just can't seem to get it.

As for other techniques, I just watch one of Andy Saxton's videos and wonder where to start haha[/quote]i like the technique..im sure there are many other variations that call for more... but for this is there anything here you couldnt pop?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnngPvedXEM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnngPvedXEM[/url]

on reflection i guess its more convenient to up stroke with you thumb than hike the finger over for a popper!!

marlow is sooo smooth...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote]i like the technique..im sure there are many other variations that call for more... but for this is there anything here you couldnt pop?[/quote]

I thought that, but its just one of those techniques that i'd actually never use in a song... but just like to be able to have it in the bag and be able to pull out now again.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1042883' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:19 PM']Bobby Vega uses a plec and sounds awesome. He can play any style but when he plays with a pick it's as funky as hell.[/quote]

Bobby Vega made me start learning to play with a pick. I'd always tried to play straight ahead rock lines with a pick before and found it boring as hell so I played fingerstyle all the time. Now I'm playing all my usual funk lines with a pick and loving it.

Also been trying to get to grips with slap, it's good to learn new styles and techniques as it usually develops your everyday playing in ways you never would have thought of otherwise.