Why become a member? ×

Fight!

Lysdexia

As we feel our way around the idea of returning to playing in a band (I've been with the same drummer for about 15 years now and keys player for ten) we have started to alk about adding a singer or a singer/guitarist. To get the talent we want, I'm certain it means we need to invite a mentalist into the mix again.

The last two times of band implosion have finished on violent notes and I was wondering if there might be some ideas as to how to avoid the worst of the mentalists.

Much as I'd love a guitarist, our current thinking is a female singer and go down some Portishead type path.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1042060' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:30 AM']Oh dear!![/quote]

Erm, yes. :)

She could of course be a guitarist too, but our thinking was surely designed to try and ensure we don't have another violent lunatic on the presumption men are more likely to be so.

I wouldn't worry too much about the male / female thing as they can both be as bonkers as each other - I'd be more concerned about singer and guitarist in one cos that's two whole portions of mental in one person!

Edited by mrtcat

Too often we focus on candidates' musical attributes without establishing their relationship status, day job and other hobbies / interests. For example, the outcome should have been obvious when I started a band with an unhappily-divorced S&M Dungeon Fitter who had absolutely no interests in life other than being a singer / guitarist.

That said, a weird hobby can be also a useful primary outlet for an individual's 'mentalism'. NB - Solstices can be a bit of a problem if 'the talent' is a Wiccan.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1042099' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:57 AM']She could of course be a guitarist too, but our thinking was surely designed to try and ensure we don't have another violent lunatic on the presumption men are more likely to be so.[/quote]

Men are possibly more prone to violence, but at least you can hit them back if necessary. A violent woman is a far more tricky proposition, as I once witnessed at a wedding, of all places, where it took a number of people to pull a mad woman off the poor (male) defendant before she punched his lights right out. One good punch back would probably have stopped her in her tracks, but it's not really the done thing is it?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1042209' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:17 PM']Men are possibly more prone to violence, but at least you can hit them back if necessary. A violent woman is a far more tricky proposition, as I once witnessed at a wedding, of all places, where it took a number of people to pull a mad woman off the poor (male) defendant before she punched his lights right out. One good punch back would probably have stopped her in her tracks, but it's not really the done thing is it?[/quote]

All's fair in love and war...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1042245' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:40 PM']....The Mrs says if a woman has the balls to start like a man they need to be up for taking it like a man!!! (thats coming from someone who shifted a blokes steel plate in his cheek :) :) :lol: and missed turning another bloke into a eunuch with a pair of scissors by about an inch)....[/quote]
Is she a singer looking for a band? I know someone who has a vacancy!

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1042209' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:17 PM']Men are possibly more prone to violence, but at least you can hit them back if necessary. One good punch back would probably have stopped her in her tracks, but it's not really the done thing is it?[/quote]

Hitting back has bugger all to do with gender. Absolutely the done thing.

I have little in the way of positive advice to offer as to the best choice of singer. No matter what gender/demographic profile/any other spurious criteria you go for, in my experience they always come with “issues”.

For example….

A 20-something male singer was doing a good job then one day announced that he didn’t want to sing anymore and wanted to take over on drums or he was leaving. Amazingly, the incumbent drummer was let go to keep the singer on board (I voiced my disapproval at the time). He turned out to be a truly terrible drummer and a few months later he was gone anyway.

Another 20-something male singer joined the band – also fine for a while, then starts thinking he’s king of the hill and that his social life is more important than turning up for practices and gigs or even communicating with the rest of the band. Result: whole band folded.

Another band, another singer – 30-something female this time. OK to begin with, but then her social/domestic situation resulted in regularly missed rehearsals, which cost the rest of the band £18 quid a pop just to stand around in the rehearsal room trying vainly to practice songs without vocals. Result: band folded.

If I was starting a new band, I’d try to make it a band with 2 vocalists (maybe Blues Brothers style). I know; 2 singers sounds like a living hell, but there’s some method in my madness…..

1. As long as the 2 singers aren’t an item, when one of them goes AWOL, you should still be able to get by with the other one, so you don’t have to start cancelling gigs and rehearsals.

2. If one of the singers goes violent, the other singer will probably be first on the receiving end :)

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1042381' date='Nov 30 2010, 02:04 PM']If I was starting a new band, I’d try to make it a band with 2 vocalists (maybe Blues Brothers style). I know; 2 singers sounds like a living hell, but there’s some method in my madness…..

1. As long as the 2 singers aren’t an item, when one of them goes AWOL, you should still be able to get by with the other one, so you don’t have to start cancelling gigs and rehearsals.

2. If one of the singers goes violent, the other singer will probably be first on the receiving end :)[/quote]

Maybe this idea could be expanded so that bands are organized like football sides, with a "first" team and "reserves". Pick your team from the available "squad" for each gig.

Slightly OT but on the subject of being hit by women...
A guy I used to know was out with his wife one night in Bristol… as they were walking past a group of blokes, one of them bumped into him; as he turned to say 'excuse me' this bloke smacked my mate and put him on the deck. They walked off into a nearby pub.
My mate's wife helped him up, made sure he was ok, and then said "Right, wait here"... she marched into the pub, went up to the bloke who had smacked her husband, tapped him on the shoulder, and when he turned round she punched him hard enough to put him on the floor. She's about 5' 3" and maybe 8 stone soaking wet, and she decked this idiot in front of all his mates. I suspect he will never, ever live it down.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1042046' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:15 AM']The last two times of band implosion have finished on violent notes[/quote]

What like half the band finish Mustang Sally in 'C'.
And the over half finish in 'C#'

Or broken handbags?

Oh and good to see you back mate. :)
Still have the Ricky?

Garry

Edited by lowdown