Why become a member? ×

FS : Herom Setos Custom V (Reserved (on hold))

wombatboter

I doubt if there is anyone around here waiting for an unknown bass with these looks but when I saw it for the first time I decided to buy it because I felt potential.
This is one of the first basses a German luthier made..
To be honest I can't remember the specs anymore (they were in his advertisement at the time) and since I'm mainly interested in sound and the question if an instrument inspires me enough I never really dug deep to get to know more.
Hendrik has a myspace.page but a lot of information isn't really available..He seems to use really great pieces of wood to construct basses.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/herombasses"]http://www.myspace.com/herombasses[/url]

I've had this for around two (?) years I think but since I don't play five string anymore this is for sale.
Not expecting tons of emails for this but you never know that the right person seems to catch on (just like I did)
It is not a very versatile bass : just one pick-up with volume, treble and an active bass-boost (bass is passive when the volume-pot is pulled up).
It has this sort of wooden sound with a twangy edge which I like.
I made this YT thing to give an impression (sorry for my boring manierisms) then you know what I mean.
You like this sort or sound or not (tastes differ)
I played it in the passive mode (without the bass-boost) on my Epifani amp with the controls flat (on a Vdkley speaker).
Sorry for the distortion : it's the zoom camera peaking a bit, it's not the bass..
Normally they would cost around 2000 euros (so the luthier states) but I'm asking 725 euros (can deliver a gigbag).
Can be picked up or send..feel free to email me for any more information.
Thanks,
Geert

The YT link : [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejslHP5zZY0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejslHP5zZY0[/url]

Some pictures :

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1040141' date='Nov 28 2010, 05:24 PM']Thanks for the feedback ànd the embedding (always feel a bit reluctant to do that since it confronts me a bit too much with my playing, like all of us around here we just want our playing to be better than it is).[/quote]

I can see how getting better would be a problem for someone who plays as well as you, Geert. :)

It's much easier for someone like me to make my playing better than it is, because I'm pretty crap. :)

Nice wall in the background, too. Still missing my Roscoe Beck ...

Thanks.. I feel a bit uncomfortable on five-strings (the muting is hard) so I'm selling all my five-strings.
About the playing : spend five minutes on Youtube and you see bedside-wonders from Japan to Columbia playing amazing bass-lines.
It is véry easy to stay with your feet on the ground when you see these young virtuosos play..
Luckily it's not all about speed but also about taste and making a band groove (that's the hard part)

The bass is on hold meanwhile... Never expected it (thought it would disappear from the page in a day and need ten bumps and still) since it's an unknown brand. The sound and the looks seem to speak for themselves..

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1040383' date='Nov 28 2010, 08:16 PM']Thanks.. I feel a bit uncomfortable on five-strings (the muting is hard) so I'm selling all my five-strings.
About the playing : spend five minutes on Youtube and you see bedside-wonders from Japan to Columbia playing amazing bass-lines.
It is véry easy to stay with your feet on the ground when you see these young virtuosos play..
Luckily it's not all about speed but also about taste and making a band groove (that's the hard part)

The bass is on hold meanwhile... Never expected it (thought it would disappear from the page in a day and need ten bumps and still) since it's an unknown brand. The sound and the looks seem to speak for themselves..[/quote]

WB, first, that's a beautiful bass. Second, you should NEVER feel concerned about your playing. You've got talent absolutely oozing from you, both with technical prowess and a lovely sense of feel. I've watched that video a few times now, and I wish could pull off some of the fingerwork you were doing there, it's excellent.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='1040798' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:17 AM']WB, first, that's a beautiful bass. Second, you should NEVER feel concerned about your playing. You've got talent absolutely oozing from you, both with technical prowess and a lovely sense of feel. I've watched that video a few times now, and I wish could pull off some of the fingerwork you were doing there, it's excellent.[/quote]

Very kind of you, thanks... bit off-topic but I always preferred to be really very down to earth about my playing. No doubt I can play a bit of bass but I've met so many musicians full of pretention that I always remained on guard whenever that horrible attitude would stick its head up (I'm a receptionist during the day so that keeps everything balanced).
Taste and feel is the most important and technique is nice but I've experienced that the sort of bassplaying in the video mostly remains in my living room :-)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1040909' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:46 AM']Very kind of you, thanks... bit off-topic but I always preferred to be really very down to earth about my playing. No doubt I can play a bit of bass but I've met so many musicians full of pretention that I always remained on guard whenever that horrible attitude would stick its head up (I'm a receptionist during the day so that keeps everything balanced).
Taste and feel is the most important and technique is nice but I've experienced that the sort of bassplaying in the video mostly remains in my living room :-)[/quote]

That's the thing I take from your video. You've got the chops, there's no doubt, and I'm actually surprised you think that you're not in a similar league to some of the wizards who show off similar skills. But it's also very obvious that you have a nice feel in your playing - even some of the really fast stuff you were doing still felt "right", like it was meant to be there.

But what's really depressing is that Geert presumably can earn better/safer money as a receptionist than as a full-time pro bass player.

[Geert, I probably have NO business making that assumption. If you're unhappy with it, tell me and I'll delete it.]

If someone who can play as well as that isn't earning good money as a session player or similar, then that's bad news for a lot of people ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1041429' date='Nov 29 2010, 06:39 PM']But what's really depressing is that Geert presumably can earn better/safer money as a receptionist than as a full-time pro bass player.

[Geert, I probably have NO business making that assumption. If you're unhappy with it, tell me and I'll delete it.][/quote]

There used to be a time when I earned more money with gigs etc but times have changed...
During the last years it has gone downhill (crises, the changing music scene, a lot of sharks trying to get in the popular bass-chairs at any cost (I never offered myself, always got called), the decline of bass and the live-scene in general (play rootnotes, look like Orlando Bloom and give cheap compliments to every musician around you even if they are totally crap)).
Not that I'm in anyway frustrated : I've had and have good times but I enjoy it more and more to play just bass on my own in my living room without people telling me what to play or not. It's a very conservative free-lance scene around here (take a fretless along and you get weird looks)
And to be really honest : everytime I was in the company of musicians a couple of days in a row I got tired of them : complaining about the public, their sound, the catering, their parking space, the waiting-hours, listening to the same old jokes, acting sometimes as if they were a gift to Earth.
I prefer listening to someone sitting on a train with the story about their life than to be with certain musicians..
That's why I like the internet, the musicians are here but it's very easy to turn them off :-)
Still am very pleased with the feedback though around here...