Why become a member? ×

The Bass centre online

blamelouis

[quote name='icastle' post='1039811' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:12 PM']The other thing I find a little disconcerting is that they seem to only sell "Elites" strings - whilst they may be good strings, I kinda like the brands I'm already using and would like to at least have the choice of something other than something they've decided I have to use...

... such a weird setup and the more I think about it the more I will never use them again...[/quote]

Elites are their own brand so I'm not suprised they would want to only sell those!

Use to use 'em all the time many years ago but the quality went down.

[quote name='Bassmurf' post='1039862' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:55 PM']Elites are their own brand so I'm not suprised they would want to only sell those![/quote]

Ahhh - that'd explain it... this is the "we know best" attitude that saw Tandy sink without trace along with it's "Realistic" brand...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1039773' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:43 AM']Probably because if you turned up unannounced all you'd find would be an empty room...[/quote]

I took a couple of guitars there recently for a setup.
They are based in a back street in Bermondsey.
You have to press a buzzer for someone to let you in and you go up a flight of stairs into an open plan office with a few guitars hanging on the wall, not really like a shop at all!!
They dont really encourage you to try the guitars though! :)
I dont think its a very good way to sell things like that!"
They guy I spoke to (nice bloke he was) told me that when they used to have the other shop, he used to get people in trying the guitars out and then saying "yes i,ll buy this!" and going away and buying it cheaper on line, so I can see his point.
Still, they done a cracking job on my 34 year P Bass though! :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1039768' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:40 AM']I got the impression that they *do* have a shop still but you have to phone ahead and make an appointment.
As a customer I'm just not prepared to do that.[/quote]

I did phone to go and try a bass. No offer was made for an appointment, by the time I realised it was something they advertised I'd got the bass elsewhere.

Well, as a relative newcomer I was unaware of their reputation and bad feeling on here and just phoned them up and had a perfectly acceptable transaction with them and a good price.

They explained that as an online shop they didn't have a showroom as such but I was welcome to call in and try an instrument at their office which seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

Unlike most people on here it would seem I'm not constantly changing or buying new gear so am a bit out of touch with dealers – in fact this was the first new instrument I'd bought since 1997.

Coincidentally I've used Elites ever since I can remember but usually get them from Stringsdirect. Can't say I've noticed a drop in quality over the years and they are half the price of many brands.

[quote name='Martin E' post='1039979' date='Nov 28 2010, 03:04 PM']Well, as a relative newcomer I was unaware of their reputation and bad feeling on here and just phoned them up and had a perfectly acceptable transaction with them and a good price.

They explained that as an online shop they didn't have a showroom as such but I was welcome to call in and try an instrument at their office which seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

Unlike most people on here it would seem I'm not constantly changing or buying new gear so am a bit out of touch with dealers – in fact this was the first new instrument I'd bought since 1997.

Coincidentally I've used Elites ever since I can remember but usually get them from Stringsdirect. Can't say I've noticed a drop in quality over the years and they are half the price of many brands.[/quote]

Well any business that has nothing but bad transactions\experiences isn't going to last very long and the Bass Centre obviously get things right for a lot of their customers.

There is the age old adage about "upset one customer and they'll tell 1000 people, make a customer happy and they might tell two others".
The important thing for any business trading in a competitive market is to have a plan in place to look after those customers who have had a less than happy experience with them, to learn from those situations and to implement measures to reduce or prevent them from happening again.

That, in my opinion, is where the Bass Centre are going wrong.

It's a shame to see them go down hill really. I had great experiences of them back in the late 80s early 90s. Living in Coventry most of my contact was over the phone. I ordered a Hipshot D-Tuner from them back in 1988 it took weeks to arrive, after I phoned them to enquire where it was they apologised for about 15 minutes over the delay (bearing in mind back then 28 days delivery was pretty common) they sent me a Bass Centre T-Shirt (that I still have) for free.

I managed to visit the Wapping High St store twice, including one visit where I dropped a brand new Wal MkII 5 string (the strap was looped up and pulled off the strap button). I was a little mortified but the bloke just burst out laughing and said it was his fault for putting a strap on it in the first place.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1039876' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:14 PM']I took a couple of guitars there recently for a setup.
They are based in a back street in Bermondsey.
You have to press a buzzer for someone to let you in and you go up a flight of stairs into an open plan office with a few guitars hanging on the wall, not really like a shop at all!!
They dont really encourage you to try the guitars though! :)
I dont think its a very good way to sell things like that!"
They guy I spoke to (nice bloke he was) told me that when they used to have the other shop, he used to get people in trying the guitars out and then saying "yes i,ll buy this!" and going away and buying it cheaper on line, so I can see his point.
Still, they done a cracking job on my 34 year P Bass though! :)[/quote]

The repair was probably done by Chris Ward - excellent repair man. The bigger picture of all this would seem to be the sad fact that it's very difficult to run a bass only shop as a viable business even in London. There is the Gallery and that other one I won't name.

It's a shame the Bass Centre didn't survive as a physical shop - always fantastic stock and staff.
I've used them since the mid-90s and never had a problem. If it transpires that whatever I've ordered is out of stock they always phone back immediately and let me decide if I'm happy to wait, but that has only happened once.

Always found their staff knowledgable and helpful to the max.

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1040137' date='Nov 28 2010, 05:22 PM']It's a shame the Bass Centre didn't survive as a physical shop - always fantastic stock and staff.
Always found their staff knowledgable and helpful to the max.[/quote]

LOL, thats the two biggest complaints about the BC over the years.

I also used them first when they were in Wapping, and quite a few times after they moved to Liverpool st area but they did seem to go downhill by the end.
Rude staff (certainly not all but some of us know who im talking about) and a lack of gear to buy on the spot. Nearly all my gear that was brought there was ordered in, even though they had demo gear.

They did lend me a couple of amps to tide me over due to late deliveries so they weren't all bad but this was becaude their delivery dates were nevwer met.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1040248' date='Nov 28 2010, 06:38 PM']Nearly all my gear that was brought there was ordered in, even though they had demo gear.[/quote]

I did notice that they promise: [i]Any order not completed within 6 weeks will receive a £20 Bass Centre gift voucher [/i]
Lets face it, you're not going to come up with that as your No.1 service promise unless it's something that happens on a regular basis are you..?

[quote name='icastle' post='1040255' date='Nov 28 2010, 06:42 PM']I did notice that they promise: [i]Any order not completed within 6 weeks will receive a £20 Bass Centre gift voucher [/i]
Lets face it, you're not going to come up with that as your No.1 service promise unless it's something that happens on a regular basis are you..?[/quote]
After waiting over six weeks for a wah I has ordered, I never recieved my voucher. Probably out of stock.

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1040319' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:32 PM']Oh well - shame to hear such things. Seriously, I've never had a prob with them. Some of the old denmark street gaffs on the other hand...[/quote]

God yes!
Some of those places years ago would tie knicker elastic to their grannies and sell her as a vintage P Bass!

I agree with pretty much every one here.

I ordered something from them, took weeks to turn up, I had to return it and they said ''it was fine no problem we'll give you a refund''.

About 4, maybe 5 weeks later, with many phone calls and after being told that it was my fault for ordering the 'wrong' product, I get the refund. This is such a shame as I got my first bass combo and my Stingray bass from the Wapping shop 10 years ago. The proper shop they had was excellent, fantastic staff and impeccable customer service.

Where has all this gone? It seems odd that it happened about the time when they went strictly online. Its such a shame to see a shop with their reputation go down the pan.

Needless to say I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. I certainly won't be using them again.

Dan

As a faithful customer of them since the early 80's, their online stuff is pants. Whatever you do, don't order it if it's not in stock (and check it is on stock if it says 'in-stock' on their website). Took me ages to get a re-fund last time.

Go somewhere else.

I expect they run it a virtual shop with little or no stock holding.

When someone orders they order the item from the manufacturer and expect a quick delivery

If the manufacturer doesnt have stock, thats when the problems start

Good way of doing business. little cash tied up, and maximum profitability, but a disaster when it goes wrong

[quote name='bumnote' post='1041258' date='Nov 29 2010, 03:17 PM']I expect they run it a virtual shop with little or no stock holding.

When someone orders they order the item from the manufacturer and expect a quick delivery

If the manufacturer doesnt have stock, thats when the problems start

Good way of doing business. little cash tied up, and maximum profitability, but a disaster when it goes wrong[/quote]

IME its always been like that, at least, the last few years of them having a shop.
"It will be here next week" was the standard response you would get when you order something. They would tell you this without even picking the phone up and calling their suppliers.
I know its not always down to the shop when things are delayed but they should be more honest with customers, or phone up and find out first without making false promises.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1041342' date='Nov 29 2010, 04:40 PM']And thats the way they recommend you do things these days. In my last job the place wasn't long after being took over by an international crowd. They wanted stock value reduced by something like 75%. Great if the the main warehouse is down the road not so good when 24hr delivery is usually 48hr if your lucky. The car dealership was the same everything Bar Service items were next day delivery.[/quote]

Yeah.
The "Just In Time Ordering" culture is all very well until you hit the "Too F*ck*ng Late Delivery" problem.

I really don't believe this!

I tried to logon to the Bass Centre site about 45 minutes ago and struggled to remember the password I'd set.
I clicked on the "Forgotten your Password?" link and it responded by telling me that my password had been sent to my email address.

Guess what - it hasn't arrived!

I guess that's on back order as well! :):lol::):lol::lol::lol::D

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1041863' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:12 AM']I really don't believe this!

I tried to logon to the Bass Centre site about 45 minutes ago and struggled to remember the password I'd set.
I clicked on the "Forgotten your Password?" link and it responded by telling me that my password had been sent to my email address.

Guess what - it hasn't arrived!

I guess that's on back order as well! :):lol::):lol::lol::lol::D[/quote]

:P :lol: