Why become a member? ×

What song are you currently learning?

Perry

[quote name='Perry' post='118049' date='Jan 10 2008, 06:21 PM']Since seeing the post with the video clip of Paul Turner in Jamiroquai playing Runaway I am going bananas trying to learn it.

The Tascam Bass trainer is a Godsend, I can only play the song slowed down :)[/quote]
i found myself playing it two ways,one seems more awkward but for some reason sounds right.the other i suppose the more logial way.
good line though i reckon.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='118086' date='Jan 10 2008, 07:29 PM']About 3 years ago, I remember doing a big band gig and reading that line on 'Sir Duke' cold. Then I KNEW I had turned a corner on my sight reading![/quote]

All credit to you my friend. That takes some doing.

That's why I'm at that point where I now want to push my boundaries, and put some serious hard work in. A few lessons wouldn't go amiss.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='118148' date='Jan 10 2008, 08:31 PM']Is Steve Berry still nr Manchester, Thunderthumbs? He would be a great teacher.[/quote]
Steve currently lives in Blackburn but would be a worthy travel from the manc, as he is a genius of education and a top guy to boot (I used to share a double bass flight case of his) not to mention a great player. He does teach at Chets so it might be worth seeing if he could kill two birds so to speak. There is also Steve Williams of bass day uk another great player and thoroughly lovely guy (lots of teaching experience too) and finally Gary Culshaw who lives in Preston my personal favourite in the area a very special talent for the bass and the most nailed player in the North (IMO)
I have numbers for all these guys so if you want em let me know
Jake
PS I taught Ollie at Salford and he now has the bass job there, so he must be good!

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='118207' date='Jan 10 2008, 10:12 PM']learning rhythm stick properley after all these years. Re-aquanting myself with some Geddy Lee Wal lines. Territories and turn the page being favourites at the moment.

Playing along to the new tunes on the sky menu also.[/quote]
both good things to do the former cos its great, the latter cos you've got little time to get it down so good for the ears.
Try and play along to adverts in real time great ear training

Extreme, Get The Funk Out.

Dirty little groove on this one, and some rapid fire funk breakdowns to get my fingers around. At the last praccy I was astounded to find that my bandmates have all pretty much nailed it already, so it shouldn't take long to get it in the set...

Then we're onto Won't Get Fooled Again :)