Why become a member? ×

Bass Lines That Everyone Recognises

Pete Academy

NOT favourites (!) but :-

Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats

Tainted Love - Soft Cell (yes I know it was a synth originally but its still a bassline!)

Rock The Casbah - Clash (again)

Come Together - Beatles

Papas Got A Brand New Pigbag - PigBag (!!!)

and of course....

Take A Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed)

[quote name='JimH' post='1037924' date='Nov 26 2010, 04:11 PM']Papas Got A Brand New Pigbag - PigBag (!!!)[/quote]

...but it's the sax/horn line that people recognise there isn't it? I was just trying to think what how the bassline went and all I can hear in my head are those damn horns...or does the bass play along with the horns? do you know I can't remember...must dust off the 12" when I get home

I have to agree the 'one' is 'Summer Nights' from Grease. Every generation is up for it.

What about 'You Can't Hurry Love'? Supremes or Collins versions.

And what about Bach's 'Air On A G String'? Or 'Mars' from Holst's 'The Planet Suite'?

Or the 'shark theme' from 'Jaws'? - two notes and everyone is on board :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1037967' date='Nov 26 2010, 04:45 PM']I have to agree the 'one' is 'Summer Nights' from Grease. Every generation is up for it.

What about 'You Can't Hurry Love'? Supremes or Collins versions.

And what about Bach's 'Air On A G String'? Or 'Mars' from Holst's 'The Planet Suite'?

Or the 'shark theme' from 'Jaws'? - two notes and everyone is on board :)[/quote]

Definitely the shark theme. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1037967' date='Nov 26 2010, 04:45 PM']I have to agree the 'one' is 'Summer Nights' from Grease. Every generation is up for it.[/quote]

And if they can not manage the Key change[s] and want to sit on it a bit more....
You lost that loving feeling. [Middle section]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1030785' date='Nov 20 2010, 07:53 PM']My guess would be that most people have never heard of The Clash, let alone know a bass line.

Someone played that line at last years south-east bash and I didn't recognise it.[/quote]

Not so. I work in a Hi Fi shop and one of our demo cds has London's calling by the clash cos it really kicks out the bass. Normaly takes all of about 3 beats after the bass starts for people to recognise both the band and the song (though I'd bet money they don't know another!). Call it 80% if you want to be all statistical and stuff.

[quote name='BobTheBassist' post='1039476' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:49 AM']Not so. I work in a Hi Fi shop and one of our demo cds has London's calling by the clash cos it really kicks out the bass. Normaly takes all of about 3 beats after the bass starts for people to recognise both the band and the song (though I'd bet money they don't know another!). Call it 80% if you want to be all statistical and stuff.[/quote]
Fair enough but what about the people who don't go in Hi Fi shops?