Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1352932522' post='1869625']
very sorry if this has been posted before - dear god, magic.

[media]http://youtu.be/kcMWov0_TAE[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting, it's great. Incidentally, if you open the clip in YouTube and look at the selections on the right hand side there is a great Bill Evans Jazz 625 from 1962. It shows not only what great jazz programmes we used to have on British TV, what a good young(ish) presenter Humph was but also how well Chuck Israels picked up the baton from the recently deceased Scott LaFaro.

It was during Bill Evans's '62 visit to UK that a pianist friend of mine wrote to him at Scotts and asked for help with the chords of Waltz for Debby. Bill scribbled them down on a piece of paper and put them in the post, with a friendly letter.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1353491526' post='1875071']
Given that Bilbo's post now runs to 31 pages and is running strong, could we have jazz bass as a sub-forum so that it's easy to find? Maybe on January 10 2013 as a special five year tribute to the strength and abiding interest of the original post?
[/quote]

Probably best to call it something other than "Jazz Bass", though, or it'll soon be filled with Fender-related posts :) (and demands for a "Precision Bass" sub-forum).

• 1 month later...

Check out an American Jazz Trio (Sax; Elec Bass; Drums) called Living Daylights. Arne Livingstone is an amazing bass player who's notoriety is largely unknown.. Their live album Night of The Living Daylights is awsome - a cross between Funk, Avante-Garde & Be-bop. Whenever I listen to it I never get to the last track coz I'm so inspired to pick the bass up & play.

If you like the Living Daylights then also try another jazz trio (sax; elec & acoustic bass, drums) called Spaceways Incorporated. Nate McBride grinds out an excellent groove with nothing but a P bass & an old amp. One of their albums features 12 tracks of Funkadelic & Sun-Ra (hence the Spaceways name). Their sound, based on the 2 bands mentioned is a sax driven Rock; Avante Garde; funky be-bop. If Hendrix played sax then the music would sound something like this. It's got a jazz rhythm that pounds in places like Redding / Cox & Mitchell.

Hope you like 2 of my jazz listens - got loads more.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1352932522' post='1869625']
very sorry if this has been posted before - dear god, magic.

[media]http://youtu.be/kcMWov0_TAE[/media]
[/quote]

Eddie is great, but I find his intonation in the upper register a little sketchy at times. Now Scott LaFaro.....

"I downloaded 5 Coltrane cds on Monday; 36 tracks of Cotrane magic (I am on a Jimmy Garrison buzz at the moment)."

Was listening to "Blue Train" today with my youngest (2), particularly 'moment's notice' was that Jimmy Garrison too? Tasty playing whoever it was.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1359488703' post='1955604']
Eddie is great, but I find his intonation in the upper register a little sketchy at times. Now Scott LaFaro.....
[/quote]

Interesting that during the fifties/sixties we grew up at school as modernists and wouldn't have anything to do with that old fashioned stuff that King Oliver and Jelly Roll Morton turned out. That was stuff from 45 years back. And now we revere Bill Evans, rightly so, from..............45 years back, and Miles and........ So, what's trad and what's trad?

As well as the timeless music you also have to factor in improved recording techniques and, whisper it softly, the drastic levelling off in jazz's development and popularity. The sixties/seventies were certainly the golden age for jazz - IMO of course.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just listened to urb's composition for the May competition and it reminded me of 1990s Steps Ahead so I went to listen to their cd 'Magnetic' on Spotify. I had forgotten how good Mike Breacker's EWI solo and Mike Manring's vibes are on the track 'Beirut'. Fusion at its absolute best. Can't post a link here but look it up it is 24 carat gold wrapped in mermaid scales and angel wings. Stunning.

• 1 month later...