Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389214276' post='2331555']
More Aznar. Beautiful

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-031gqsVI[/media]
[/quote]
You're not paying attention Bilbo. I posted that before Christmas especially for you!

Edited by BetaFunk

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389213944' post='2331547']
Some iffy intonation, though ;)
[/quote]

Bass obviously wasnt tuned properly B). Seriously though its pretty shocking on some of those high notes, but in fairness Ive never worked out how people hear themselves well enough live to intone fretless properly, cant imagine doing it without IEMs or something.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389218615' post='2331630']
You're not paying attention Bilbo. I posted that before Christmas especially for you!
[/quote]

I cannot always see the videos posted here as I look at Basschat primarily in work and on a Kindle HD, neither of which allows me to even see the embedded videos let alone watch them.

Thanks for thinking of me. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389253324' post='2331835']
I cannot always see the videos posted here as I look at Basschat primarily in work and on a Kindle HD, neither of which allows me to even see the embedded videos let alone watch them.

Thanks for thinking of me. :)
[/quote]
I'm only joking Bilbo. I knew you'd like it though. :)

I have a few CDs by Pedro Aznar. I also saw him with Pat Metheny and i heard a podcast where PM was telling how he had advertised for a percussionist and went to South America to audition them and of course found Pedro.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1390486523' post='2345934']
Remember these bright young things (get the hair!!)?
[/quote]
That's THE classic PMG line-up for me. All of the PMGs have been good but nothing beats the Metheny/Mays/Egan/Gottlieb quartet for me. I saw them with that line-up at the 1978 Bracknell Jazz Festival and still remember PM on stage with that guitar hanging around his back.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just finalised our March/April line-up for our Jazz East at The Fludyers project in Felixstowe. I am going to get to play with Roger Beaujolais, Georgia Mancio, Josh Kemp, Alan Barnes, Pete King and, get this, in a sax-bass-drums trio with Dave O'Higgins!! I love Jazz, I really do B)

I was just listening to The Impossible Gentlemen's latest CD and it occured to me that the relative ages of the individual members is incredibly wide. Steve Swallow is 74, Adam Nussbaum is 38, Mike Walker 50 and Gwilym Simcock 33. That is a a 41 year difference between the oldest and the youngest members. And the music is still incredibly cutting edge. I love the fact that this music is still accessible to people at an age when other genres would seek to dismiss them as yesterday's men.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1392125554' post='2364994']
I was just listening to The Impossible Gentlemen's latest CD and it occured to me that the relative ages of the individual members is incredibly wide. Steve Swallow is 74, Adam Nussbaum is 38, Mike Walker 50 and Gwilym Simcock 33. That is a a 41 year difference between the oldest and the youngest members. And the music is still incredibly cutting edge. I love the fact that this music is still accessible to people at an age when other genres would seek to dismiss them as yesterday's men.
[/quote]
Adam Nussbaum is 38?

He must have been a mere toddler then when i saw him in the 80s with the Gil Evans Orchestra and John Scofield's group. :lol:

Edited by BetaFunk

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390491397' post='2345993']
That's THE classic PMG line-up for me. All of the PMGs have been good but nothing beats the Metheny/Mays/Egan/Gottlieb quartet for me. I saw them with that line-up at the 1978 Bracknell Jazz Festival and still remember PM on stage with that guitar hanging around his back.
[/quote]
I would have loved to have seen that band live! I really love those early PMG records. Those videos from back then are great too, that band had such a great vibe.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1392200082' post='2365776']
58 (mistype).

Which freaks me out a little as I had John SCofield Lps with him on from 1980. I hadn't realised until now that he was only 25 when he recorded those!!!
[/quote]
Wow that is pretty scary! :blink: Those early Scofield records are amazing! My favourite is probably 'Out Like a Light'. That was a really great sounding trio. Steve Swallow's playing on that record (and on 'Shinola') is really great! I love the way he plays chords behind John's solos.

Steve's solo on this track is really beautiful! (I love the repetitive phrase he goes into at the end, really cool :))

[media]http://youtu.be/frreUA3A0Yk[/media]

• 3 weeks later...

JUst got hold of a great cd by Chris Speed called Really OK. It is a sax/bass/drums trio featuring a bass player who is new to me called Chris Tordini. Monster sound, great ideas. Makes me want to get my bass out and play (always a good sign).

Check it out if you get the chance.